RS-1 channel imbalance of something else?
Sep 21, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #31 of 50
The first things that are coming to my mind when reading this are the stories about Grados bad solder joints of the cables I read here on head-fi.

Sep 21, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
Strange, my RS1s show impedences of 32.5ohm & 32.7ohm. My 10 $ Koss shows ratings of 32.0ohm and 32.1ohm. Grado really needs some serious manufacturing automation and quality control.

But your RS1s do measure better than my SR80s
biggrin.gif
I was actually surprized that my ultra crappy buds was so well matched (impedance wise) - maybe mass-produced drivers are generally pretty well matched. Anyway, for the higher end phones I would think that Grado matches the drivers based on actual sound output. These impedance measurements may mean very little.

Sep 21, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #33 of 50
I thought my rs-1's had an imbalance, but it turned out that the person who owned them before me had bent the headband strangely so that more pressure was being applied to the one side. I carefully rebent the headband and the problem disapeared.

Biggie.

Sep 22, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #34 of 50
well i got a more precise & expensive meter and my RS1 reads 33.2ohm & 33.3ohm. That is much more releaving to note that. My initial measurements were through a $4 Multimeter.

By the way, why is it in the 33.## ohm range and not 32.00ohm??? I know this shouldn't matter much, but still
smily_headphones1.gif
.. Oh I get it, maybe the cable b'coz I am measuring it at the connector pins (i feel so stupid).

Sep 22, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 50
Hmmm, all those multimeter tests are only dc resistance (= not the same as impedance) measurements, anyway. I also generally wouldn't recommend to do that - especially if you don't know what voltage the meter applies for resistance measurements - in order not to damage the drivers.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Lisa: Do you happen to have access on some piece of equipment with a headphone jack and a mono switch - or some kind of mono adaptor (like a stereo interconnect that's been bridged to mono) you could use? I found that very helpful for testing purposes...

Sep 22, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
I also generally wouldn't recommend to do that - especially if you don't know what voltage the meter applies for resistance measurements - in order not to damage the drivers.

Yep. Though I don't think it could cause practical damage, I would rather avoid it just for precaution.

Sep 22, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Hmmm, all those multimeter tests are only dc resistance (= not the same as impedance) measurements, anyway. I also generally wouldn't recommend to do that - especially if you don't know what voltage the meter applies for resistance measurements - in order not to damage the drivers.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Lisa: Do you happen to have access on some piece of equipment with a headphone jack and a mono switch - or some kind of mono adaptor (like a stereo interconnect that's been bridged to mono) you could use? I found that very helpful for testing purposes...

No I don't.
I tried mono recordings. And I put my tuner on mono. And I downloaded some testtones that are mono. That's all I can think of.

I also thought about what Biggie said. Since when I put another pair of pads on them the problem seemed to be gone...
Anyway, my left ear is blocked a bit ATM, allergy I think,(Great timing
rolleyes.gif
)so I have to wait a bit to listen again.

Sep 22, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #38 of 50
Then why not try a pair of upper range Senn pads on them? I'm sure that any sort imperfection will be instantly and forever solved. (and the treble tamed, as a bonus)
eggosmile.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #39 of 50
Did another listening test.

The right driver plays louder to my ears. I also tried to listen trough my integrated amp and when changing the volume when listening to the testtones there's static in just the left driver. Shouldn't there be static in both driver if it's the amp?
There isn't any static with the headphone amp but still if the integrated would put out static it should be audible in both drivers, shouldn't it?

With all I know the only thing I can think of is that there's something wrong with the left driver.

Sep 22, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
There isn't any static with the headphone amp but still if the integrated would put out static it should be audible in both drivers, shouldn't it?

If there isn't any static with your headphone amp then the integrated is to blame.

Sep 22, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
(...) Shouldn't there be static in both driver if it's the amp?
There isn't any static with the headphone amp but still if the integrated would put out static it should be audible in both drivers, shouldn't it? (...)

Sounds like the volume pot is getting old and scratchy - but that doesn't neccessarily have to happen on both channels.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Btw, the surprise part has arrived in the meantime - would have been a basic digital multimeter. But from this very thread I gather you already have a basic multimeter. Thus I'm frustrated now - and thinking about a new surprise part... *sigh*
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #42 of 50
I would do more tests with your amps and sources before you do anything with the headphones. There have been several threads recently on the same 'imbalance' topic that you can glean info off of. Yes *many* pots in amps mistrack at low volumes. Also it could indeed be possible that the headphones aren't matched perfectly either, and all the imbalances can add up through the chain. If you have the right cables and adapters you can probably use your multimeter and measure the jacks, etc.

Headphones don't produce 'static' either. The static in one channel is just more testimony that many 'integrated' headphone jacks aren't going to give you the cleanest unadulterated and amplified signal to the jack.

Sep 23, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #43 of 50
You guys are right. The static is there too with other headphones and my speakers. It's the integrated, and it's only two years old... But it's not a problem. It only happens with the testtones not with regular CDs.

I think I'll just use the reversed senn pads for now. I like them best anyway. Seems that the problem is not there when I use those
confused.gif
Got a pair of HF-1s comming and don't really feel like spending more when it's not completely necessary. I can always get them fixed later if I want to.

Quote:

P.S.: Btw, the surprise part has arrived in the meantime - would have been a basic digital multimeter. But from this very thread I gather you already have a basic multimeter. Thus I'm frustrated now - and thinking about a new surprise part... *sigh*
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=xx-small]sorry
frown.gif
[/size]

Sep 23, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #44 of 50
I've had the same issues with my RS-2, but not with the RS-1 or any other Grados I've had over the years.

I sent the RS-2 over to Grado for repair, they came back the same way. I don't think they even changed the drivers.

Then I listened to some mono music and voila! the channels are dead matched.

The human ear is a comb filter. It passes certain frequencies and block (relatively speaking) others. Also, the chambers inside the ear are such that the sound echoes so we can discern the direction it's coming from. Nothing new, and all the spatialization software are designed to trick the ear as such.

Now, my conclusion for my RS-2 and my own ears is that with certain frequencies, and at a certain distance from my ears, these particular cans fool my ear into thinking the left driver is louder. If I listen to them for extended periods, I tend to think the effect is diminished.
I do not believe the drivers are unmatched.

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #45 of 50
Oh, who am I kidding? Tried them on my portable/head-fi browsing gear (i.e. totally different source and amp) and bended the headband so it sits exactly in the middle of my head, and tried yet another mono recording and the right channel still plays louder.
So I'm going on a diet and these rs1s go to Grado labs. I need to loose ~8 pounds anyway. Is that enough to save up for $125 in potato chips and chocolate?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back