RS-1 and RA-1 burning the time away...
Dec 6, 2005 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I was completely stoked when I got my RA-1 from Todd, only 3 days after I got my RS-1's. I was previously using my Perreaux SXH1 with the RS-1's. I got the RA-1 because of the wonderful synergy that's been reported by so many people over here. I guess I'm wondering... how long will it take, using the RA-1 and the RS-1's, to burn in and settle into the sound that they're supposed to elicit? Right now things are pretty congested and bloated. I guess they'll always be that way compared to the HD650's, but I want to believe that it'll be way better than this.

I'm using my Arcam DIVA CD73 with Copperhead interconnects to the RA-1, by the way. And I've been burning everything in with a mixture of static and bass-heavy music.

P.S.

Do you have to be playing music through the amp in order to burn it in, or does just turning it on count?

Dec 7, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 8
RS-1 more bloated than the HD-650? Definately needs more burn in
rs1smile.gif

As for the amp question, I'm not a firm believer in electronic component burn in, but I do believe it would be best to have some music flowing through it
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Is it normal for things to go from better, then to worse, then finally to better in the end? I don't remember such a thing with my HD650's. But then that was a while ago. I honestly think my RS-1's sound crappier than the SR60's right now. Out of the RA-1. That's gotta mean they still need burn in time. Yet it'll be a week tomorrow of burning in. Hmmm... I hope to God it's the amp that's making them sound odd.

Dec 7, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 8
I just did a test, comparing the headphone out on my iPod with a 320AAC file, and then playing the same song from CD thru the RA-1. I hate to say this, but the iPod sounded better. Wow.. I'm pretty shocked. Do I have a bad RA-1? I've read so much about the synergy of those two Grado products, but I'm not seeing it now.
confused.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 8
The RS-1 is a good phone with the right recordings.

The experience with the IPOD hints that maybe the RA-1 is not to your liking. The RA-1 is designed to fit Joe Grado's taste I believe.

Give it a few more weeks, after all you paid good money for it. Perhaps your ears are not accustomed to the sound or could be the break in thing.

I prefer RS-1 with my Xcan over the SS and Tubes I've heard...so far
rs1smile.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I've started another thread, this time in the amp forum. The link is here.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151030

Basically, I'm torn with the RS-1's. I'm really trying to love them--after all, I spent just about a thousand bucks on the amp and headphone combo. I'm almost completely convinced that I'm at least returning the RA-1. It just doesn't seem to be my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back