RP21 vs Alessandro MS1 vs others
Nov 10, 2008 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Posts
2,602
Likes
27
I'm a big rock fan (Metal, progressive, a lot of instrumental [buckethead, steve vai, yngwie malmsteen, many others]) However, I also love the more intimate, smooth music (jazz, vocal, acoustic, etc.) A little bit of techno/electronic here and there (like The Faint, Daft Punk, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher.) Which one of these are better for me? And are there other options I should consider?

EDIT: I've already got Senn HD485's which I find overly warm and bassy, with weak, rolled highs and not enough detail. I know not a lot of people around here own these, but if it's any help, then interpret it how you may. I find them great for movies and some electronic stuff, so don't take those categories into account if you recommend me one way or the other.
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 13

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Posts
2,602
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your source, and ipod or PC? What is your budget for headphones or headphones and an amp?


Source=Mostly an Archos 5 using Ogg files, and at home, sometimes a JVC FS-1000 CD player (not very often)

Budget is optimally, less than $150, but absolutely under $200. As an amp, I would either get the iBasso T4 or D2, but that's a few months down the road. So I would be unamped for quite a while.
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 13

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
3,994
Likes
106
In that price range, I would wholeheartedly recommend Audio-Technica ATH-M50. They are one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200 IMO. They are true monitoring headphones, meaning that they have a very flat response and will suit almost all kinds of music equally well. They have amazing detail, terrific tonal balance and excellent, deep soundstage and imaging for closed headphones. They also look really cool (IMO), seem to have GREAT build quality, are comfortable and have very good isolation for closed-back over-the-ear cans - enough for use on a train and maybe even on the subway. Personally, these are what I am getting next.
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 13

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Posts
2,602
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the M-Audio Q40 would be a better pick for you than the RP21 or MS1.


Thank you for the suggestion. They look kind of "out there!" Are they open or closed? I can't really tell- they appear closed. Would you consider them "audiophile quality?" And are they better than the RP21?
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 13

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Posts
2,602
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that price range, I would wholeheartedly recommend Audio-Technica ATH-M50. They are one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200 IMO. They are true monitoring headphones, meaning that they have a very flat response and will suit almost all kinds of music equally well. They have amazing detail, terrific tonal balance and excellent, deep soundstage and imaging for closed headphones. They also look really cool (IMO), seem to have GREAT build quality, are comfortable and have very good isolation for closed-back over-the-ear cans - enough for use on a train and maybe even on the subway. Personally, these are what I am getting next.


I see that you own the Q40. What makes you recommend the ATH-M50 over the Q40? Also, I plan on running the headphones I get unamped if possible. Do the ATH-M50 or Q40 require amps?
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 13

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
3,994
Likes
106
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the M-Audio Q40 would be a better pick for you than the RP21 or MS1.


M-Audio Q40s are a good headphone, but in that price range, after hearing ATH-M50s, I would take them over the Q40s any day. They have everything that the Q40s have in terms of SQ, but are smaller, more comfortable, have better treble control, extension and detail, and much better soundstage (deeper with better imaging and dynamics). I regret buying the Q40s
frown.gif
- I find their trebles to be a bit harsh and sibilant, while ATH-M50 doesn't have that problem even right out of the box.
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #10 of 13

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
3,994
Likes
106
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you own the Q40. What makes you recommend the ATH-M50 over the Q40? Also, I plan on running the headphones I get unamped if possible. Do the ATH-M50 or Q40 require amps?


Nope. Both of them sounded just fine straight out of my Samsung T9 MP3 player, but I am sure that the M50s will benefit from a good source/amp. The Q40s not so much.
 
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 13

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Posts
2,602
Likes
27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-Audio Q40s are a good headphone, but in that price range, after hearing ATH-M50s, I would take them over the Q40s any day. They have everything that the Q40s have in terms of SQ, but are smaller, more comfortable, have better treble control, extension and detail, and much better soundstage (deeper with better imaging and dynamics). I therefore regret buying the Q40s
frown.gif
- I find their trebles to be a bit harsh and sibilant, while ATH-M50 doesn't have that problem even right out of the box.



Thank you. Do you run your headphones amped? If so, can you comment on how they sound unamped vs amped?
 
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 13

Pianist

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Posts
3,994
Likes
106
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you. Do you run your headphones amped? If so, can you comment on how they sound unamped vs amped?


Well, my Minibox E+ amp died a while ago and I still haven't replaced it, so I run my headphones unamped. Both sound just fine unamped, but as I wrote in my previous post, I think that M50 will benefit more from an amp that the Q40.
 
Nov 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 13

1Time

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Posts
4,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the suggestion. They look kind of "out there!" Are they open or closed? I can't really tell- they appear closed. Would you consider them "audiophile quality?" And are they better than the RP21?


The Q40 is closed and FWIR has been preferred over the RP21 by those who have compared them. I haven't read much about the M50, but since "Pianist" has favorably compared M50 to the Q40, I suggest following his lead.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top