RP-21, D100K or ATH-ES7? Help me pick one.
Dec 16, 2007 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GnuB

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to IEM's for the last few months and am ready to pick up a set of cans as an alternative. (Removing and Inserting IEM's everytime someone stops by the cube is annoying.) I am thinking a closed-back pair would be best suited for the office environment.

All of the "what should I buy" threads and mod threads I have read seem to point me to about three choices: Equation RP-21; Denon D1000K and Audio Technica ATH-ES7 which are all just under $100 at Amazon. The office setup is a laptop with the Penguin DAC / Penguin Caffeine and currently ER-4Ps. It is a good sounding set-up to me: could use a tad more bass though.

Anyhoo, I am not looking for perfection, just a pleasing, warm, tube-like sound. Any comments, good or bad, you are willing to offer would help me decide. Thanks.

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think there was a comparison preferring the es7 over the rp21 somewhere but not sure (it was a review with pics).
Otherwise, grado for an open pair.

..... Looking .......
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Otherwise, grado for an open pair.

I initially looked at Grado's and the Alessandro MS-1 because of their good reviews but discounted them and other open backed headphones based on comments like this: "If it's the SR60's be aware that the leak a lot of sound and would be annoying to anyone else trying to work around you."

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GnuB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I initially looked at Grado's and the Alessandro MS-1 because of their good reviews but discounted them and other open backed headphones based on comments like this: "If it's the SR60's be aware that the leak a lot of sound and would be annoying to anyone else trying to work around you."

A statement to live by.

Here is the review mentioned earlier - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

Dec 17, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A statement to live by.

Here is the review mentioned earlier - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

Thanks.... I was about 20 pages deep in the thread list and hadn't found it yet. I will spend some time there.

But I did find a few other "goodies" along the way. (Sorry for not attributing quotes to the posters).

" ES7s are really NOT comfotable and I could never image wearing them for 8 hours"

"D1000 is waaay more comfy than the ES7. With the D1000 on my head, it barely feels like there is a headphone on my head. Really, really comfy.
ES7 clamps harder, so it might get uncomfortable after 2 hours or so. I know I can't wear it for more than 3++ hours
."

So the ES7s are looking a little less favorable at the moment.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Between the uncomfortable pads and the very forward, snarly mids I couldn't listen the the ES7s for more than about 5 minutes at a time. Nice highs and bass though, but very colored mids.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't have them yet but I have a pair of JVC S900's coming.
High Grade Light Weight Headphones - HA-S900

They are the lightest of the bunch(ES7 160 grams, Denon 180grams, JVC 115grams). Hopefully they are trying to match or beat the SQ of these two since they are two of their main competitors.

They might be a worthy choice, just don't know till I get them and put them to the test.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

やべぇー「HP-S900」めっちゃ良かった!!
カナリおすすめ!!片だしでコンパクトで1万程度のヘッドホン買いたいやつはオススメ!!
1万1000円で買えたしコストパフォ高
ビクターが本気だしやがった
HP-S900を本当に買いました。

イヤーパットが柔らかく装着感はとてもいい感じです。
強い圧力も無い。
買ったばかりなので篭る感じがあり慣らしコミが必要ですが

音の印象は
鳴りぷっりが良くドラムなど力強くロック系にビッタシ。
気持ち良く聴けます。
VOも息遣いが聞こえそうなくらい
リアルで"はっと"させられます。

高音は、ほどよく出でサ行はキツイなく聴き疲れしません。
いい感です。

このヘッドホンは"慣らしコミ"で更に良くなると思います。
個人的にはS900に満足してます。

Here is a review of the S900 from Amazon.co.jp (5 Stars). Anyone care to share a basic translation?

Thanks!

Here's what translate.google.com had to say...
Quote:

And all, sir. "HP-S900" cracking Good! !
Canali Recommended! ! She piece compact 10,000 extent I wonder if he will recommend headphones! !
11,000 yen買ETA and high KOSUTOPAFO
Victor is serious and she wanted
HP-S900 really買IMA****A.

IYAPATTO tender-seated sense is a very nice feeling.
Intense pressure is not.
I just bought it and I have the feeling篭RU Komi need some practice.

The sound is impressive
Ringing PURRIGA good drum, and boldly BITTASHI lock system.
聴KEMASU refreshed feeling.
VO also heard it enough breathing
Real "HATTO" them.

Treble, as is common in the service line KITSUI without listening fatigue.
Good sense.

The headphones are "pre-conditioning Komi" will be further improved.
Personally, S900 pleased.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Some like the rp21 for price and bass. However, I prefer the ES7. It has the look, compact, and I find the sound signature is really fun, specially as a background music when I'm at work. Also, the ES7 works well without amp. I usually plug it to my iPhone with an adapter.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have them yet but I have a pair of JVC S900's coming.
High Grade Light Weight Headphones - HA-S900

They are the lightest of the bunch(ES7 160 grams, Denon 180grams, JVC 115grams). Hopefully they are trying to match or beat the SQ of these two since they are two of their main competitors.

They might be a worthy choice, just don't know till I get them and put them to the test.

Other than the "Lightness", what attracted you to that brand and model?
Was it the .... "IYAPATTO tender-seated sense is a very nice feeling. Intense pressure is not." ... from the quote above?
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some like the rp21 for price and bass. However, I prefer the ES7. It has the look, compact, and I find the sound signature is really fun, specially as a background music when I'm at work. Also, the ES7 works well without amp. I usually plug it to my iPhone with an adapter.

The ES7 looks sweet. That was one of the things that attracted me to it in the first place (Really like the ES9 with the wood earcups but too costly) and if it were all about looks .. then it would be a done deal.

A lot of people refer to the sound signature of the ES7 as "fun" and others mention snarly mid's, brightness, etc. So people either love them or hate them. It is pretty hard to make the buy decision with those extremes. It would be great if it came down on the "fun" side for me but not so great if it were otherwise. I am looking for phones with tube-like sweet mids and highs. No description of the ES7 that I have read so far characterizes them like that. I don't mean to diss your phones, just saying they might not be what I am looking for.

Dec 19, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 12
.... drumroll .......

I decided on the Denon D1000K. After re-reading SkyLab's review and some other comments about the D100K, I thought it would be the ear-candy I was looking for.

Thanks for eveyone's suggestions and comments.

Now.. For the perfect portable amp to go with them .. Ibasso P2, D1, Mini^3, HeadSix.... But that is for another day.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back