Roxy Music: Peel Sessions
Mar 19, 2004 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

XXhalberstramXX

100+ Head-Fier
does anyone know where to get the legendary Roxy Music appearance on John Peel's radio show? It doesn't seem like this recording is in print anywhere. I'm especially interested in the 12 minute-long version of "if there is something".

besides that, any (early) roxy music fans out there?

Mar 19, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 7
Me.
smily_headphones1.gif
Sorry, don't know about the Peel session, but if you haven't already, you've got to check out all the 1999 remasters in HDCD by Bob Ludwig of the Roxy catalog. Just stunning!

Mar 19, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 7
thanks markl,

i still haven't heard stranded or any of the later albums. i'm a tad bit worried that the later ones will be too adult-contempo for me, but you can tell me if i'm wrong. I love the edginess of the early albums (i've heard roxy music, for your pleasure & country life).

Mar 19, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 7
Their style definitely evolved, but I like both phases equally. You've got to check out their final album, Avalon, it's a stone-cold classic, best thing in their catalog most seem to agree (and great headphone fodder). Avalon is out on an amazing SACD if you have a SACDP, a real reference recording.

Only album that's not really worth owning for me would Manifesto, but there are still 2-3 classics on there. If I were listing in order of my favorites, they'd be:

1. Avalon
2. For Your Pleasure
3. Roxy Music
4. Stranded
5. Siren
6. Flesh & Blood
7. Country Life
8. Manifesto

I've also been buying up all of Bryan ferry's solo stuff which is also out on the 1999 HDCD Ludwig remasters. You might enjoy In Your Mind (1977) and Let's Stick Together (1976) which has a few Roxy Music songs on it that he's re-done. those records are harder more thumpin' like the early Roxy stuff. His first 2 solo albums are a little kitschy kind of retro with souped up versions of older caberet style suave crooner type music.

If you try it and you do like Avalon, you should check out Ferry's solo Boys & Girls (1985) and Bete Noire (1987), they're really a continuation of Avalon sound/style and nearly as good.

Mar 20, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 7
I highly recommend their live album "Heart still beating". If you like early Roxy Music I think you will appreciate this album as the live versions of their later songs are really "rocking" as opposed to the studio versions. There is also a great cover of Neil Young's "Like a hurricane". Check it out ! It is number one on my list of roxy albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back