Routers requiring software? What the crap?
Dec 29, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #16 of 26
I have never installed software for a router. Is the Belkin setup as a dhcp server? Are the computers setup to get an ip address through dhcp? When I had Comcast internet I would have to do the following weekly, unplug the modem and router, plug in the modem and wait for it to come online, plug in the router and wait a few minutes, then bring any computers attached to it online.

Hold on I just noticed the D-Link part, are you trying to use the Belkin router behind the D-Link? If thats the case the Belkin needs to go in the dmz of the D-Link router.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Step 3 is not going to work so well because there are many ways of getting connected - DSL usually requires a login/password, cable is automatic, different countries have different systems. The router software is supposed to automagically pull the necessary settings from your computer and configure the router for you.

THAT BEING SAID.... I've never had to install the software for any router I've used, which includes Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys models, because I simply use the web interface (something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on your model) to configure the router's connection to the internet, set up wi-fi security, etc.

DSL matters on if it is Bridged, Trans Bridged, PPPoA, or PPPoE. Also if it is PPPoA or PPPoE you normally have your "DSL" modem/router do the PPP and NAT and then have your router do a secondary NAT. Problematic for people trying to run web servers and such but easily bypassed by chaning to Trans Bridge and let your router do all the work.

Dec 29, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Router in question is the Belkin ME1004-R.

See here for some good information on configuring that router (it's not even listed on Belkin's own web site).

The web interface can be accessed at 192.168.1.1, the default user name should be admin, and the password should be blank. You should then be able to access the interface and set up the router.

If that works, then you should also be able to uninstall the software that came bundled with the router.

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #19 of 26
Well, I have confirmed that it has nothing to do with the (new) router i'm using.

Before this whole debacle started, I was using the DGL-4100 and it was working just fine. I had, however, lacked the foresight to purchase the DGL-4300 initially because "I won't ever need wireless, I prefer wired connections anyway." It's the same router just with 802.11g if you hadn't guessed. Lacking foresight and a view of the bigger picture is something I excel at
wink.gif

In any case, I have now tried to connect and configure both of these routers in lieu of the aforementioned D-Link router, with no success:
* Belkin ME1004-R
* D-Link DI-524

The broadband modem isn't simply a modem per se, it's an integrated connectivity device (
biggrin.gif
) from Comcast. Or was it Verizon? Anyway it's the phone+internet thing. Make&Model is Arris TM502G.

What am I doing wrong? I have hard reset and soft reset the two routers and the "modem", which didn't change anything, as well as waiting different lengths of time in different orders to see if a certain amount of order of startup time is required. Oh, and i'm only trying hard-wired right now; not even messing with connecting via WLAN yet.

I hooked the DGL back up about 10 minutes ago, and couldn't get online, so I hit the Reset button on the "modem", power cycled the router and boom i'm online. Why can't the new routers be that easy
frown.gif
That's how it should be....

EDIT: It may be worth mentioning that if I try to go to the router from one of these hard-wired computers, (the new routers that is) it doesn't work. Page Cannot Be Displayed is show for 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.100, and 192.168.1.100 - never had that happen before.

Frustrated,
--Sdu/DK

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The broadband modem isn't simply a modem per se, it's an integrated connectivity device (
biggrin.gif
) from Comcast. Or was it Verizon? Anyway it's the phone+internet thing. Make&Model is Arris TM502G.

I'm not familiar with that device, but it could well be that you have some sort of double DHCP issue. I would try to find out if the Comcast-issued device can be set to "bridged" mode and then let the router take care of DHCP.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #21 of 26
Silly me; I thought you were talking about the "Power Tools" kinda router!

Shucks; my Fridge has a program; my stove has a program and my dishwasher has a program, but the darned things are dumber than a rock!

....with one ten thousandths the reliability!

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #24 of 26
Or

Craigslist for a v6 or older Linksys WRT 54g for 20 bux or less flash that shiz to DD-WRT and rock a stable unbeatable router =P

Or try a surfboard those cable modems are pretty easy to set up and are easy to work with routers.

Jan 9, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 26
i gotta say, as a corollary: why oh ****ing why can't we make a wifi router that just ****ing works? i mean, why? they all crash, all need rebooting..........i'm not an IT guy so perhaps i'm missing something, but i really don't understand why it's so complicated to make a wifi router that just works..........we've done it with so many other pieces of hardware and software

Jan 9, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i gotta say, as a corollary: why oh ****ing why can't we make a wifi router that just ****ing works? i mean, why? they all crash, all need rebooting..........i'm not an IT guy so perhaps i'm missing something, but i really don't understand why it's so complicated to make a wifi router that just works..........we've done it with so many other pieces of hardware and software

Firmware

srly

at work we have multipule WRT54GL with DD-WRT flashed working as AP's all over the city running at 250mW sending power (stock is 70mW) and people use them as Hotspots and we reboot them i'd say once every few months at most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back