Routers requiring software? What the crap?
Dec 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Headphoneus Supremus
This is ridiculous and pissing me off. Please someone tell me what moron decided that we need to INSTALL SOFTWARE onto our PC(s) just to get internet access and/or SOHO connectivity through our NAT Router. I wish I could find that person and punch them in the face. After installing the proper software on my fist, of course.

Ugh.

Is there any reasonable reason for this, or is it just the cause of more marketplace insanity? I see no useful reason for this -- to me it just seems like bloated software and terrible programming-&-design, a'la Norton, McAfee, etc.

A router should work like this:
1) Power it on
2) Wait about 30 seconds for powerup to complete
3) Plug in your cable from the Cable/DSL modem into the WAN port, and wait about 10 seconds
4) Plug all your LAN cables into the corressponding ports
5) Power on your PCs

Notice how nothing in there said anything about installing software? This has been working for us for what, 15 years? I am willing to bet this is somehow a side-effect of the scare tactics and idiocy sorrounding Spyware & Virus threats. Bastards.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 26
Why don't you just install it,
Do you need help with your router?
I'm pretty sure it only has to be installed on one computer to set it up than it should work fine.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 26
What router are you using?

Almost every router I've seen in the last few years has software that is supposed to required to use the router. Yet, every router I've used has a web interface that you can use without installing any software.

If you got the modem/router from your internet services provider, call them an tell them you are running Linux, BSD, or some other non mainstream OS. They'll usually have a way to get it working so they can keep your getting your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie X_o Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you just install it,
Do you need help with your router?
I'm pretty sure it only has to be installed on one computer to set it up than it should work fine.

Nobody should be forced to install software to do something that could very easily be done without that software. Computers have enough rubbish on them without needing yet another software package to bloat them up and slow them down.

I've never installed software for any networking hardware and I never will. I'd rather return the product and get hardware from a manufacturer who does not force me to install their junk.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Nobody should be forced to install software to do something that could very easily be done without that software. Computers have enough rubbish on them without needing yet another software package to bloat them up and slow them down.

I've never installed software for any networking hardware and I never will. I'd rather return the product and get hardware from a manufacturer who does not force me to install their junk.

I've seen many routers that needed to be set up so it would work, not to put junk your computer.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is ridiculous and pissing me off. Please someone tell me what moron decided that we need to INSTALL SOFTWARE onto our PC(s) just to get internet access and/or SOHO connectivity through our NAT Router. I wish I could find that person and punch them in the face. After installing the proper software on my fist, of course.

Ugh.

Is there any reasonable reason for this, or is it just the cause of more marketplace insanity? I see no useful reason for this -- to me it just seems like bloated software and terrible programming-&-design, a'la Norton, McAfee, etc.

1) Power it on
3) Plug in your cable from the Cable/DSL modem into the WAN port, and wait about 10 seconds
5) Power on your PCs

Notice how nothing in there said anything about installing software? This has been working for us for what, 15 years? I am willing to bet this is somehow a side-effect of the scare tactics and idiocy sorrounding Spyware & Virus threats. Bastards.

I've installed routers for years, mostly XP and Vista. To me new software install software is fluff. Wants you to manage network w/ their manager. I prefer Microsoft's manager. Its a no-brainer.

I can see where it is a no-brainer for me doesn't mean its that way for in-experienced users. Lots of them want you to buy Pure Magic Network or something like that. I think they try to peddle it because they get a kickback.

Dec 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

1) Power it on
5) Power on your PCs

Step 3 is not going to work so well because there are many ways of getting connected - DSL usually requires a login/password, cable is automatic, different countries have different systems. The router software is supposed to automagically pull the necessary settings from your computer and configure the router for you.

THAT BEING SAID.... I've never had to install the software for any router I've used, which includes Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys models, because I simply use the web interface (something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on your model) to configure the router's connection to the internet, set up wi-fi security, etc.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 26
I would be interesting to know which router this is. The only one for which I've ever had to install software is my AirPort Extreme, and I certainly can't complain about AirPort Utility for OS X.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #9 of 26
I've never had to install software either. Most of the routers have come with the software, but I just toss it aside. I haven't had any problems with this method so far.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by oogabooga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Step 3 is not going to work so well because there are many ways of getting connected - DSL usually requires a login/password, cable is automatic, different countries have different systems. The router software is supposed to automagically pull the necessary settings from your computer and configure the router for you.

THAT BEING SAID.... I've never had to install the software for any router I've used, which includes Netgear, D-Link, and Linksys models, because I simply use the web interface (something like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 depending on your model) to configure the router's connection to the internet, set up wi-fi security, etc.

You are correct. After reading your post, I checked my installed program list. Its been two and a half years since I installed my Linksys Wi-Fi router so my memory is a bit hazy as to what I did. From my program list, the only software I installed was the Linksys EasyLink Advisor. I have updated the router's software, I think, two times.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 26
The Router in question is the Belkin ME1004-R. I don't have a lot of experience with Belkin network products (although I love everything else I own from them such as a surge protector), but the "MyEssentials" brand name and packaging of the product itself seems pretty ghetto.

I read the reviews on NewEgg before buying this, after reading many reviews of other <$50 models of Wireless Routers (I have the D-Link GamerLounge right now and love it, but I have the wired-only version) so I figured this one would be OK -- cheap and pretty good ratings.

The issue is, when I hook it up to the 2 computers near the Router w/LAN cables (Windows XP), and when I try to connect it to my girlfriend's laptop via wireless (Windows Vista), the browsers themselves actually freeze up. IE and FireFox (v3.x) on the two computers directly cabled to the Router just go blank, hang, and won't even do a Page Cannot Be Displayed -- I have to End Task them.

After installing the BS software, the browser hangs are no longer an issue, but it seems the Router itself still cannot detect my internet connection and I can't get online with any of the aforementioned systems. I've never seen this issue with a Router in my life. Did I just get a DOA unit or what?

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 26
As far as I know, Belkin isn't known for making quality networking hardware. Now that you've jogged my memory, I think I actually remember rejecting/returning a Belkin product because of the software requirement.

Have you tried typing the IP of the router (look at the gateway settings for your computer) into your browser? It might have a web interface that Belkin doesn't care to tell you about.

D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear all make products that do not require software. If you can RMA that router I suggest you do so. Just say it's defective and let that be the end of it.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never had to install software either. Most of the routers have come with the software, but I just toss it aside. I haven't had any problems with this method so far.

Me too.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #14 of 26
I have used routers from Cisco, Juniper, Netgear, Belkin, D-Link, Linksys, US Robotics etc. and almost all SOHO routers come with a CD and instructions (and sometimes with labels on the device that state INSTALL SOFTWARE FIRST) and they all worked without installing the software.
Just get your computer connected to the internal LAN interface (not the DSL/WAN port) and set your computer to DHCP. Most routers are on 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1... but you can figure that out by doing an ipconfig /all and open up the browser and open up the "website" http://192.168.1.1 or whatever is listed as an IP address for the gateway when doing the ipconfig /all..

The vendors are just trying to come up with sometime that helps the guys that have no clue about what they are doing and some sort of standard procedure to get them started.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

...snip...

The issue is, when I hook it up to the 2 computers near the Router w/LAN cables (Windows XP), and when I try to connect it to my girlfriend's laptop via wireless (Windows Vista), the browsers themselves actually freeze up. IE and FireFox (v3.x) on the two computers directly cabled to the Router just go blank, hang, and won't even do a Page Cannot Be Displayed -- I have to End Task them.

After installing the BS software, the browser hangs are no longer an issue, but it seems the Router itself still cannot detect my internet connection and I can't get online with any of the aforementioned systems. I've never seen this issue with a Router in my life. Did I just get a DOA unit or what?

You replaced (or would like to) your D-Link router with the Belkin router. The browser could hang because you do not have an internet connection and is trying to resolve some domain names. The Belkin router is for cable and/or DSL connections. Did you setup your connection properly?
Can you ping and website like e.g Google (Start -> run -> CMD -> and do a ping Google in the dos box)
You can also do an IPConfig /all in the dos box and see if you got a 192.168... IP from the router.
I would first try to sort the connection problems using a wired connection instead of the WIFI connection on the laptop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back