Round 2: Setup for a Returning Head-Fi'er?
Apr 5, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Istasi

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

My Head-Fi journey began Christmas of 2006, when I received a pair of Sennheiser HD595's. While the sound was great, suffice to say these cans were not for me. My everyday listening environment was chock full of ambient noise, so the HD595's sound was compromised and overpowered. Also, I was using these straight from my 5G iPod with 192kbps AAC's, so they were not near their full potential. Also, the "Sennheiser Veil" always nagged at me. I needed something more forward because I primarily listen to rock. I ended up selling them to another Head-Fi'er a short while later.

Seeking something that would satisfy my need to listen in noisy environments, I did some more research and pulled the trigger on the Westone UM1's. These were simply unlike anything I had ever experienced due to the sheer amount of ambient noise they blocked out. It was just the music, and myself. However, I found them lacking a bit of detail and was not entirely convinced by their sound signature. I passed these along to my dad, who was extremely impressed by their noise attenuation, and now uses them while riding his stationary bike.

While IEM's were great, I needed some everyday headphones for throwing around. After reading about the incredible value of the Koss KSC75's, I ordered a pair. These have been my everyday listeners ever since. A few of my friends have been so impressed they've ordered pairs for themselves. For $15, can you really go wrong? These things sound great for what they cost.

My most recent purchase was a pair of ER6i's. I love how these sound. The detail is great, and while the bass is a little lacking for my preferences, I still find them very pleasurable to listen to. However, getting a proper seal with these is often an uncomfortable exercise. I just can't have these in for more than an hour or so without needing to take them out due to poor comfort. Still, the comfort issue is secondary to the sound, and these are my go-to guys when travelling.

So, that brings me here. Head-Fi has drawn me back in, just begging my wallet to open wide. The lust is simple: full-sized cans. My KSC75's are great for everyday use and the ER6i's for high-noise environments, but what does that leave me for serious listening?

Here's what I'm looking for:
-Something with a bit of punch! I want to feel the music.
-Upfront and involving. I primarily listen to rock with a fair bit of hip-hop thrown in, so I need something that is going to make me want to get up and rock out.
-Closed. These babies need to isolate fairly well. Oftentimes someone has the TV on in the next room, so I need something that will block out that noise with music playing.
-Semi-portable. I want to be able to take these with me when I travel.
-Good for gaming. These will be used primarily for music, but my first hobby is building computers, and I game quite often, so these should have a fairly large soundstage and accurate sound placement.

Right now all of these requisites seem to be pointing towards one candidate: the Ultrasone HFI-780. It seems to have everything I would like. What are my other options? Am I completely wrong in thinking these are the best choice?

That brings me to Part 2. As it stands, my sources are my PC w/ a Razer AC-1 soundcard, and a 160GB iPod Classic. My music is encoded with Apple Lossless. What would people recommend to better the sound quality from these sources? Is a DAC necessary for good quality sound out of the PC, or will just an amp suffice? What affect do DAC's have on 3D imaging from soundcards for gaming? At the very least, I know I need an iPod LOD and a portable amp.

A rough budget for all of this is $400-500. Thanks for reading.

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #2 of 7
I went to type HFI-780, but you've already found it.
wink.gif
Can't comment on gaming though as I don't.

Apr 5, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #3 of 7
The 780 sounds like a good headphone to me since I had it stock for about four weeks before having it re-cabled.

But as you know you have many options, the hard part is picking one.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Sounds like the HFI-780 to me. Didn't get to game much before I sold it, but don't see why it wouldn't fair well with gaming.

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 7
I can't really help with your main request, but with your Etys, try the new baby blue tips that came out a few months ago for smaller ear canals. I wasn't able to use my Etys much at all until I tried the baby blues. It took me about a week to get used to them, but I now have a perfect seal and perfect comfort for hours.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the input so far guys. Looks like the HFI-780 is the way to go.

I'll look into those tips, boomana. Sound perfect for my needs.

Apr 5, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 7
As an alternative to the HFI-780, though not as suited to your specific needs could be the Beyerdynamic DT770's. They're not as portable, and from what I've heard not as good at attenuating ambient noise (though they're closed so it's not bad by any stretch). They're also pretty fun phones with nice bass impact. It might be worth looking into if you want some selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back