Rotel vs Denon
Nov 7, 2002 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kevin

100+ Head-Fier
I posted this in sources section but perhaps it belongs here more:

Does anyone know about the Rotel RSX1055 home theatre receiver or Rotel receivers in general? I was going to buy the new Denon 3803 but ran across the Rotel at a higher-end dealer. The Rotel is supposed to be more musical than the Denon, although with fewer bells and whistles.

Any knowledge about Rotel would be appreciated.

Kevin

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Kevin

what you know/heard of Rotel is what i was told at my local high-fi stereo store as well.

from what i was told (dont flame me, i beg you!)
Rotel, like Marantz, will offer far better musical reproduction than a Denon home theatre receiver. you'll be shelling out far more cash for either of those brands over the Denon.(the marantz i was looking at was $3000, while a decent denon was around 12-1500, but of course they do go way higher).

Incidentally, Rotel, i believe, are a better match with some speakers (e.g. B & W) over others (say, DyneAudio). You may want to try to match the speakers you have with the type of receiver you're looking at.

you will get fewer bells and whistles, but if your main priority is music, go with Rotel. if you're more into home theatre, go for Denon and save some bucks.

please post if you find out more, altho im beginning to think i should have replied in the sources forum...

gluck!!

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
Kevin

what you know/heard of Rotel is what i was told at my local high-fi stereo store as well.

from what i was told (dont flame me, i beg you!)
Rotel, like Marantz, will offer far better musical reproduction than a Denon home theatre receiver. you'll be shelling out far more cash for either of those brands over the Denon.(the marantz i was looking at was $3000, while a decent denon was around 12-1500, but of course they do go way higher).

I was waiting for the Denon 3803 to come out when I decided to purchase some new speakers and went to a high-end stereo dealer. (I bought the Paradigm Monitor 7). I told them I was waiting for the Denon and they showed me the Rotel RSX1055, which was about the same price ($1,300). It has fewer digital inputs, lacks the video up conversion to component video, needs an additional amp for 6.1 and 7.1 surround (though it is ready for those formats) and is even missing a headphone jack(!). They had to order the receiver for me and gave me the floor model to use. The only problem I'm having is video noise. The dealer says I might have a bad unit.

My concern is the video. While Rotel has a great name for music, I believe they have very little experience in video.

Should I be concerned?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back