Rotel RCD-975 question. Worth repairing?
May 27, 2009 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

joe_seattle

Head-Fier
So I have a nasty habit of picking up random electronics at the local Goodwill - Seattle's is the biggest in the country and gets some amazing units. But you have to be quick to grab them. A couple days ago I bought a Rotel RCD-975 cd player for $10. Hard to go wrong there, right? It works ok, though the tray gear is shot. But when I opened it up I found that most of the caps were leaking.

My question is: is it worth the $30-40 to replace the caps? I currently use a Sony DVP-S7000 dvd player as a transport and the sound is great except for somewhat recessed mids. Will the Rotel offer much of a gain?

If not, I may just bring it back as a donation. Also, I brought home an RCA Demensia CD player from 1984 - part of their $5000 system. It sounds fantastic, except for slightly edged/shrill high notes. But for a very, very first generation player it's great.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!
-Joe

May 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 3
I would definitely repair it. The RCD-975 was one of the best bargains in audio in the late 90's. It retailed for about $650.+. It uses dual 20 bit, 18x oversampling DACS (one for each channel) and a differential system that is said to cancel out digital conversion errors. It also uses the classic Philips CDM9 transport that was used in many much more expensive players. The DACS were considered good enough so that a separate stand alone DAC wasn't considered much of an improvement. It was very popular among studio professionals for its durability and accuracy. In most head to head comparisons it beat out the top-rated and much more expensive Rega Planet, as well as Arcam, Marantz, Jolida and Nad. It's not a Wadia, but it's pretty darn good.

The sound is liquid and natural, almost creamy, with plenty of air and detail. All spectrums are well balanced with no emphasis on any one part. It has a wide, deep and accurate soundstage. It's beautiful with female vocals. If you like a sharp or bassy sound, then you won't like the Rotel. I haven't heard the Sony, but I would think that the Rotel would kick its ass with redbook cd's. You'll be surprised at how good an older cd player can sound.

The tray gear is a known issue and very common. If you decide to replace the gear, here's a how-to link.

diyAudio Forums - rotel rcd 975 - Page 1

By the way, I own the RCD-955, which I love. The RCD-975 is considered better except for bass.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 3
I would definitely repair it. The RCD-975 was one of the best bargains in audio in the late 90's. It retailed for about $650.+. It uses dual 20 bit, 18x oversampling DACS (one for each channel) and a differential system that is said to cancel out digital conversion errors. It also uses the classic Philips CDM9 transport that was used in many much more expensive players. The DACS were considered good enough so that a separate stand alone DAC wasn't considered much of an improvement. It was very popular among studio professionals for its durability and accuracy. In most head to head comparisons it beat out the top-rated and much more expensive Rega Planet, as well as Arcam, Marantz, Jolida and Nad. It's not a Wadia, but it's pretty darn good.

The sound is liquid and natural, almost creamy, with plenty of air and detail. All spectrums are well balanced with no emphasis on any one part. It has a wide, deep and accurate soundstage. It's beautiful with female vocals. If you like a sharp or bassy sound, then you won't like the Rotel. I haven't heard the Sony, but I would think that the Rotel would kick its ass with redbook cd's. You'll be surprised at how good an older cd player can sound.

The tray gear is a known issue and very common. If you decide to replace the gear, here's a how-to link.

diyAudio Forums - rotel rcd 975 - Page 1

By the way, I own the RCD-955, which I love. The RCD-975 is considered better except for bass.
I own both the RCD-855 - and have owned the RCD-955 as well - and the RCD-975, and I have to say that while the former is indeed very good, the 975 is in a different league altogether, including yes, the Bass Region. It is an overall superior player, and as you say, one of the biggest bargains ever in Hi-Fi. So good in fact, that I may be looking for a spare unit, just in case something goes wrong with mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back