rotel rcd-1072 thoughts?
Mar 5, 2008 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

braddo

100+ Head-Fier
I have one of these as my first 'real?' CDP (best one available at the time). Anyone own one? Just curious to know if I have a decent source here (I have nothing to compare it with!).
How does it compare to similar priced sources?
Any thoughts/praises/opinions/slagging etc. more than welcome.

Thankyou all. I'll say again - GREAT SITE!!

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 30
It has a well implemented true delta sigma dac and tough transport system.

Mar 5, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 30
For what is worth, I owned the RCD-1072 for almost six months in a full Rotel electronics system [CDP/tuner/preamp/amp] coupled with B&W speakers, simply because I prefer that sound to a number of less-than-esoteric setups.

The RCD-1072 is a wonderful performer in its price range, yet some people might find it a bit bright. I didn't. Note that to some people brightness is detail - to others it is induced fatique. It also excells with HDCD, but not a lot of people have those - I only got several albums.

The only reason I traded it in [and I traded it in for a Marantz DV-7001] was that I was looking for a universal player instead of a CD only capable machine.

The Marantz is also wonderful, albeit a bit more expensive than the Rotel - but it plays almost any format on a 12cm disc currently in existence.

Mar 6, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #5 of 30
Thankyou insides. I bought it because i LOVE brightness! Guitars all the way!! I bought it because I LOVE detail! Glad I made a decent chioce, if it is fatiguing so be it, sound comes first. Standing in front of a blasting guitar with GREAT sound at a concert is also fatiguing, and deafening, but who complains?! I could do it forever. Anyway, sorry to sound immature, I am seriuos about ALL types of sounds, just love rock'n'roll. Still curious about analogue out though.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 30
I use the analog out to utilize its delta sigma dac. Paired it with ecosse interconnects and speaker cable and be surprised about its sound. Really like its HDCD implementation. The sound difference between the regular recording with HDCD playback is stunning. Try listening to Beegees One Night Only Live in HDCD recording and you will really appreciate the work of rotel engineers.

Mar 9, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #8 of 30
Its a single bit conversion or low bit conversion technology which is the more precise method in representing audio wave form.

Mar 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #9 of 30
I'm sure this has been addressed elsewhere, but as a stumbling Head-Fi noob I can't locate quite where, for which I apologize.

Any quick recommendations for a tube amp to work in between one of these and a pair of Grado RS-2s? A week of trawling the amp forum has me thinking Woo 6 or some flavor of Singlepower PPX.

Thanks. And hello.

Mar 9, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a single bit conversion or low bit conversion technology which is the more precise method in representing audio wave form.

wow! the rotel has this dac chip? i browse some esoteric cd player, and they have this chip, a burr-brown sigma-delta dac chip. is this the same as the one inside the rotel?

Mar 9, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #11 of 30
Even the DA100 implements the same conversion technology. Its a PCM 1732 chip. Rotel is a 45 year old company and they are not just an audio equip maker, they manufacture also their own parts. Rotel is very transparent with their design and technology thats why I trust them. Most of all fairly priced equips.

Mar 10, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 30
yup, their price is very attractive. especially with the DAC chip inside. So would it be a waste to use it just as a transport? Does it have balanced outputs?

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #13 of 30
No its not a waste considering its price and beauty. Actually I'll be using it as transport also for balanced headphone listening using digital coax as input to outboard dac. The analog out will be utilized for speaker rig.

Mar 11, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No its not a waste considering its price and beauty. Actually I'll be using it as transport also for balanced headphone listening using digital coax as input to outboard dac. The analog out will be utilized for speaker rig.

would you encounter any problem with this? meaning the source is currently connected to 2 outputs? i read in the manual for my dac that it's not recommended (for the specific dac). have you tried this already? i am also thinking about this setup.

and would people who have the rotel post pics? i know basman will
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back