Rotel 1072 CD player
May 14, 2004 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
I have seen very mixed reviews on this player - HiFi Choice panned it but "The Absolute Sound" loved it to death. Does anybody have any experience with this player ?. They seem to be going for about $600 on audiogon these days is that a good way to spend $600 ?

May 15, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77
They seem to be going for about $600 on audiogon these days is that a good way to spend $600 ?

Perhaps it is a good way. At that price, there's a number of players on A'gon that are good choices. I haven't heard the Rotel house sound, but I never read bad reviews about certain popular Rotel players (the above-mentioned included) either.

There are also a number of modifed players that could also fall into that category. I love my modified Music Hall but it's going for about $700. I am admittedly fanatical about players fitted with a clock upgrade, among other things. So, my $.02 is that getting a clock-modified player, if possible, is a *great* way to spend your hard-earned $600.
icon10.gif

Good luck in your search.

May 15, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 24
Sorry if you see this as thread jacking, but I too am very interested in this player.

I have read reviews and comments on the 1072, but as hciman77 said above, they are very mixed. However I did notice that a few said that the player is a very lively and sounds excellent, except that it isn't involving. I think what they were trying to say was that it has a very balanced sound with good extension and so forth, yet it was just in the backround, and didn't exactly get your attention. Though, this is not for sure. Any kind of confirmation would be excellent.

I plan to audition this player within the next month so I will post my reviews. Until then, anyone who has heard this player and has anything to say, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

May 16, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 24
I really like the Rotel "sound" and feel that their build quality is definitely above average. Their equipment usually lasts for some time, and my old RCD-950 still works and sounds great.

May 16, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter braun
I really like the Rotel "sound" and feel that their build quality is definitely above average. Their equipment usually lasts for some time, and my old RCD-950 still works and sounds great.

Yep, I have a RCD-02 at present and am selling off my 855, the 855 is mechanically dead quiet in action while the 02 chatters a bit - but the sound is great but you know you always want something just that little bit better.....

May 17, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 24
When I was shopping around for sources, the RCD-1072 was on my short list. I auditioned it more than once, and one time for over an hour with my own IC's, amp, and cans. I ended up choosing something else, the Arcam CD73. I ended up passing on the Rotel because it was SO detailed that it sounded clinical. Admittedly, there are many people who love as much detail as possible, and I thought I was the first time I tried it out. It has a very nice range altogether; however, I was using HD650's with it, and even THOSE sounded like they had too much treble... and mind you, the HD650's are not at all known for having too much treble. Listening to it for too long a time did give me ear fatigue, a thing that the Rega Planet 2k and the Arcam didn't do.

YMMV, of course. But that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
biggrin.gif

May 17, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 24
I have a Rotel RCD-1072, plugged into an NAD C320BEE. I love it. It is very, very musical. It does the "air" thing that vinylphiles swear is a property solely of records: instruments are separate and distinct across a vivid soundstage. Smooth. Loads of detail. Very black background. I am not getting any harshness from this CDP in my setup, nor am I suffering from detail overload. Zero listening fatigue.

When reading reviews, you have to consider the reputation of the source. "The Absolute Sound" has a very good repuation. I think its review of the Rotel is dead accurate.

Jeffery

May 17, 2004 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JefferyK
I have a Rotel RCD-1072, plugged into an NAD C320BEE. I love it. It is very, very musical. It does the "air" thing that vinylphiles swear is a property solely of records: instruments are separate and distinct across a vivid soundstage. Smooth. Loads of detail. Very black background. I am not getting any harshness from this CDP in my setup, nor am I suffering from detail overload. Zero listening fatigue.

Can I ask what is it like for mechanical noise, as I said earlier my RCD-02 seems to chatter a bit - it sounds a bit like a CD-ROM drive and as I sit about 18 inches away from it that noise does break through to my listening sometimes.

May 17, 2004 at 5:42 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

I have seen very mixed reviews on this player - HiFi Choice panned it but "The Absolute Sound" loved it to death. Does anybody have any experience with this player ?. They seem to be going for about $600 on audiogon these days is that a good way to spend $600 ?

I would not pay too much attention to Hifi Choice. Their reviews are often unreliable - indeed, the following month after they panned it, they did a re-test on it with the RA-1062 amp and they said it sounded very good in this setup.

They have given some lousy products 5-stars in the past, and they have given some very good products some very poor reviews. As with most hifi mags, not to be trusted.

May 17, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 24
I would also consider a used Rotel 991. It should fall
into your budget and it was their flagship a few years
back.

May 17, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I would not pay too much attention to Hifi Choice. Their reviews are often unreliable - indeed, the following month after they panned it, they did a re-test on it with the RA-1062 amp and they said it sounded very good in this setup.

They have given some lousy products 5-stars in the past, and they have given some very good products some very poor reviews. As with most hifi mags, not to be trusted.

Hello Paul,
sorry about the semis, still you have Europe again next year at least. As for HiFi Choice yes they do seem contradictory sometimes, so who can you trust , apart form this community of learned peers and ones own psychoacoustic thingy of course ?

May 17, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Can I ask what is it like for mechanical noise, as I said earlier my RCD-02 seems to chatter a bit - it sounds a bit like a CD-ROM drive and as I sit about 18 inches away from it that noise does break through to my listening sometimes.

It is silent except for a quiet-but-audible click at the end of a CD.

Jeffery

May 17, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 24

Users who are viewing this thread

Back