Rotating speakers?
Sep 20, 2002 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 5.1 audio system, and the front and rear channel satellites are the exact same. (The center channel is actually identical to each satellite too but it has a different form factor) I was wondering, should I rotate my satellites every so often in order to "even out" their usage? Like I listen to more stereo music than I do 5.1 audio, and even with ProLogic upmixing the rear channels don't get very much action. Would this affect the sound in the long run or does it not matter?

I have never seen or heard this being done before but it crossed my mind the other day.

Ruahrc

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 6
You should pick up an analog SPL meter (sound pressure level meter) for $30 from Radio Shack.

Use it along with test tones to balance all channels.

If you need help doing this, get the AVIA DVD or the VIDEO ESSENTIALS DVD. Either one of those discs will walk you through tweaking your A/V system for optimal performance.

I can't recommend these discs highly enough. Proper calibration is the most effective tweak there is for a surround setup and a video display.

Sep 20, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Speakers really don't have any parts that wear out from using them. You only run into problems if you abuse them by listening too loud. If your speakers do not get abused they will last years and years without problems. You know you are listening too loud if you hear distortion, or loud poping or clicking sounds from the speakers.

Sep 21, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 6
^ Stuff like clipping is usually caused by under amplifying. If you hear clipping at levels that aren't making your ears bleed, then you need bigger, cleaner amps to power those speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back