Rotary switch selection.
Nov 5, 2007 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MASantos

Headphoneus Supremus
I never really understood how to select a rotay switch and now have to choose one and need some help.

I am building a single ended CK2 with integrated OPUS DAC with USB and SPDIF inputs. It will be used in single ended mode wired directly from the balanced outputs. I am using a Darwin source selector form twisted x to switch between the various inputs and outputs( line out from DAC, pre amp out)

I want to use a rotary switch to control the on/off function because it will integrate better in my case design. Since I want the option of using the amp or the DAC separate from each other, it doesn't make much sense to have everything powered up all the time. So I tough about using rotary switch with 4 positions:

1- Off
2- Amp on DAC off
3- Amp off DAC on
4- Amp on DAC on

The switch needs to be placed between the secondary windings of the trafo and the power supply of the DAC and the CK2's onboard power supply. So how many decks and poles and positions do I need?

According to my understanding I need a 4 position, 2 pole switch? Is this correct?

Also, when turning to the 3rd of 4th positions, there will be momentary power feed to the AMP or to the DAC. Does this present a problem? Does anyone thing this is a bad idea to do?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

It doesn't make much sense to have everything powered up all the time.

I don't see a problem with having both powered at all times. You're not building a battery-powered device, and neither consume enough power to make this a concern as an wall-powered device. Not having a complex switching arrangement will make your internal wiring a lot simpler and neater.

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 6
My problem is not the power consumption, but having the power supplies running and producing unnecessary heat inside the case.

how much heat does the ck2 produce. I'll increase the bias a bit with small heatsinks on the output transistors.

If I go with a simple on/off switch , what tipe of rotary switch do I need?

2 pole, 2 position?

Nov 5, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm with amb on this one Manuel, sure looks like you're creating a problem where there isn't one and adding complexity where it can only hurt.

Addressing the ventilation issue (if there even is one) seems like the better approach to solving this dilemma really.

Nov 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #5 of 6
If the transformer will be in the same case as the amp, a SPST switch will suffice (switch one leg of the AC mains).

Nov 5, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 6
the power inlet unit I choose has a switch on the primary side. However Iwill be using a 65VA transformer because it needs to power the CK2 with higher bias, the OPUS, joshua tree attenuator and darwin source selector, leds, etc...

I want a switch on the secondary side so I don't have to reach to the back of the box on a daily basis, to avoid a big power inrush on the transformer, and also because the extra round knob on the front panel will complement the look I want.

It seems like I will go with the simpler on/off switch...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back