Rosewill RHTS-12004 - quite shocked at the quality
Dec 2, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

timaishu

New Head-Fier
I got these Rosewill IEMs off newegg during cybermonday for free. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193075

Let me start off that I am no true audiophile. I like my music to sound good (hence why I bought the Denons, but I cannot make a professional review in regards to things like instrument separation/realism/sound stage.

I figured I could use another set for gym use because I wouldnt want to bring my Denon AH-C710 because it would suck if they got broken. Well, these Rosewills arrived yesterday and I gave them a try and I was honestly shocked at the sound. I had a Maximo i490 a few years ago before I got my Denons. The Denons blew the Maximos away and everytime I plugged the Maximos in they sounded terrible in comparison. After about two years of exclusively using my Denons, plugging these in, I was expecting massive dissappointment. Well I was wrong. Very very wrong. They sounded amazing!

I decided to take the tips off my denons and put them on the Roswill because they have a different opening. Figured I might as well make every the same. After back to back listening using reference quality sound tracks through my computers creative sound card. Here is what I noticed. The Rosewill will not get down as low as the Denons for rap. However, they do a bass guitar very well and sound nice and deep. The kick of a drum is stronger with with the Denons though. I dont know how to describe it, but the mids on the Denons are too loud, kinda of hollow and echoy on occassion and I always find myself EQ'ing them down(this bothered me since day one). The Rosewills mids sound much better in my opinion, they are perfect in fact(for me). As for the highs, they both sound great. I would say that the Rosewills are a bit more sibilant for techno highs or loud females in comparison; however I dont listen to music often like techno so I cannot say if they are fatiguing or not. The vocals sound great with both. So in my opinion Lows - Denon wins. Mids - Rosewill wins. Highs - Denons wins, close tie however because I am sure some prefer more sibilant sounding highs.

The build quality is good. I am not sure if it is real wood or not though. The plug is gold and the plug surround is a good feeling metal with Rosewill etched in. Also to note, I had to turn the volume up higher to achieve the same listening volume. Not sure why but I did.

Price for the dollar? A massive thumbs up. Price per dollar compared to my Denons? Rosewill wins hands down with a nice uppercut lol. Lets just say that if I heard these back to back before purchase, I would definitely leave the store with the Rosewills just because of the price alone for how nice they sound. I cannot think of what The Denons offer that would be worth the extra $100 dollars. Though I got them for free, they are now priced $14.99 with free shipping.

Also, I want to address the reviews on newegg. Frankly, they must be smoking crack! Or... these do not sound good when played through an ipod. I only have listened to these through my computers soundcard and they are fantastic. So do not be discouraged by those reviews, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Anyways, I hope you guys liked my little mini review.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
I got these Rosewill IEMs off newegg during cybermonday for free. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826193075

Let me start off that I am no true audiophile. I like my music to sound good (hence why I bought the Denons, but I cannot make a professional review in regards to things like instrument separation/realism/sound stage.

.....The vocals sound great with both. So in my opinion Lows - Denon wins. Mids - Rosewill wins. Highs - Denons wins, close tie however because I am sure some prefer more sibilant sounding highs.

The build quality is good. I am not sure if it is real wood or not though. The plug is gold and the plug surround is a good feeling metal with Rosewill etched in. Also to note, I had to turn the volume up higher to achieve the same listening volume. Not sure why but I did.

Price for the dollar? A massive thumbs up. Price per dollar compared to my Denons? Rosewill wins hands down with a nice uppercut lol. Lets just say that if I heard these back to back before purchase, I would definitely leave the store with the Rosewills just because of the price alone for how nice they sound. I cannot think of what The Denons offer that would be worth the extra $100 dollars. Though I got them for free, they are now priced $14.99 with free shipping.

Also, I want to address the reviews on newegg. Frankly, they must be smoking crack! Or... these do not sound good when played through an ipod. I only have listened to these through my computers soundcard and they are fantastic. So do not be discouraged by those reviews, they have no idea what they are talking about.

Anyways, I hope you guys liked my little mini review.

Quote:
Nobody has listened to these?

etysmile.gif
 Listening to them right now... and they are great, I thought I was the only person listening to my free cyber-monday phones!  So anyway nice to see the review.  I think these are real wood, and I notice a nice resonance that is not present in the similar Meelec M6p.  The bass does seem thicker due to the resonance, and the M6p seems a little hollow or flat in comparison.  The bass is definitely "punchier" on the M6 - but I don't like that feeling.  I much prefer the vented bass of the Rosewills.  Both have a "fun" v-shape signature I think.  However, I think the Rosewills do the "fun" signature better and more energetically than the M6p.

I'm actually listening to Dubstep right now and don't find the Rosewills sibilant at all.  I'm using Meelec tri-flanges with a really deep insertion depth and the sub-bass seems to go deeper due to the better isolation.  The soundstage is also wider than the M6p with better right-left separation.  There isn't very good height or depth, but there is definitely layering to the left and right with some instruments centered and some instruments stretched out to the sides.  I'm not sure if this is the kind of presentation that is considered "artificial" but I kinda like it!  The wood shells also reproduce echo and "hall effect" rather nicely with a rather long decay.

Thanks for the review!

EDIT:  I'm now listening to "Animal Rights" by Deadmau5 and I feel like I'm hearing this tune for the first time.  The effects sound much more atmospheric and I'm hearing background notes that I've never heard before.  Bass or sub-bass is better as well.  I'm really only comparing to the M6p, but these are still better, especially for $0.00!

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Glad to see another user who likes them!

I actually had got two during the sale. I gave the other set to my brother and he was all jazzed because I was raving about them. He plugged them in and was dissappointed. His issue though is he doesn't think like you guys do. This is what he told me, "the bass isnt as loud and the highs are too high" compared to his v-modas. Thats it lol. He never uses headphones, he is a speaker guy and I am a headphone guy. So over time I have noticed the little things that you folks appreciate, he however does not. So all he could tell was how loud certain frequencies were and not how they actually sounded. Oh well.

I think I might have to find another pair for the gym, because even though these were free, I would hate for these to get ruined!

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Glad to see another user who likes them!

I actually had got two during the sale. I gave the other set to my brother and he was all jazzed because I was raving about them. He plugged them in and was dissappointed. His issue though is he doesn't think like you guys do. This is what he told me, "the bass isnt as loud and the highs are too high" compared to his v-modas. Thats it lol. He never uses headphones, he is a speaker guy and I am a headphone guy. So over time I have noticed the little things that you folks appreciate, he however does not. So all he could tell was how loud certain frequencies were and not how they actually sounded. Oh well.

I think I might have to find another pair for the gym, because even though these were free, I would hate for these to get ruined!

Yeah, I thought these would be cool presents.. But now I'll probably keep at least one extra pair!

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, now I'm quite shocked.  I can hear Joe Satriani tapping his foot on one of his instrumental tracks.  And, wow, La Villa Strangiato by Steve Morse sounds fantastic.  The clarity is much better than I thought it would be in addition to the wide soundstage.  I think this shows up best though on well-recorded studio stuff and EDM.  Busy classical stuff seems to overwhelm the drivers with too many instruments.  But man, electric guitar solos sound great on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back