Rory Gallagher
Feb 20, 2006 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

craiglester

Headphoneus Supremus
I just got Etched in Blue, a kind of best of of Rory Gallagher...

I like it.. I'm Sure I had a cassette of him once a long time ago, and it had a cracking version of Whipping Post on it if my mermory serves me correctly..

Anyone have any idea what album it was.. ? and does anyone have any recommendations for more of Mr. Gallagher's work?

TIA

Craig

Feb 20, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unearthed
Man he smokes doesn't he? I still think he had one of the best semi-unknown talents ever. I've never heard him do Whipping Post however. I would pick up "Big Guns." It has a ton of his best works on it.

... 2nd vote for the Big Guns Best Of which is a double SACD - I have most of Rory's albums on CD & have never heard of track you mention (you didnt mean Pistol Slapper Blues?) ... Paul
wink.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Rory was fantastic, must have seen him live about ten times in the 80s and early 90s. never heard a duff album by him though I don't have them all.

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcolbeck
Rory was fantastic, must have seen him live about ten times in the 80s and early 90s. never heard a duff album by him though I don't have them all.

Rory really was the business live! I saw him several times & was at the Belfast show that features on the film / DVD / album "Irish Tour"
tongue.gif

Paul
PS - There's a great "At the BBC" Double CD that I'd also recommend - one live CD & one studio CD

Feb 21, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 8
I second the Irish Tour album, but just about *any* Rory will be worth it. He died way too soon!!

Feb 22, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 8
my mistake.. I found the old cassette and it was one a friend had done for me..

on further inspection it was mislabelled, looks like my friend forgot to label one side...

so all those years ago I thought it was all Rory Gallagher..

now i've found it again i realise that the unlabelled side is Live at filmore east, or at least part of it.

So it's the Allman Bros Band..Duh!

Duh I feel kinda stupid now.. and I squished my thumb finding the tape in the closet.. injury to insult.. yay

I did however also find a double cassette of Rory's on one of those nice price kinda tapes.. has live in Europe AND stagestruck.. woohoo.. now If I can only stand listening to a tape again!

Feb 22, 2006 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester
my mistake.. I found the old cassette and it was one a friend had done for me..

on further inspection it was mislabelled, looks like my friend forgot to label one side...

so all those years ago I thought it was all Rory Gallagher..

now i've found it again i realise that the unlabelled side is Live at filmore east, or at least part of it.

So it's the Allman Bros Band..Duh!

Duh I feel kinda stupid now.. and I squished my thumb finding the tape in the closet.. injury to insult.. yay

I did however also find a double cassette of Rory's on one of those nice price kinda tapes.. has live in Europe AND stagestruck.. woohoo.. now If I can only stand listening to a tape again!

Yow! Funny, though. I "discovered" Rory in the early seventies after Duane Allman was killed. I was looking for another slide player playing the same type music and someone recommended Rory Gallagher (or my brother might have been listening to him, time has a way of bluring those memories). I'd say listening to both Duane and Rory is a good thing!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back