Rooting Cowon Z2
Feb 23, 2013 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

J Bones

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone here who has a Cowon Z2 tried to root theirs? I've succesfully rooted and re-flashed different ROMs to my phone (Razr M), and I would have thought it might be similar in operation to do it to my Z2. But following Gungr's tutorial http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40423 isn't quite as easy as I originally had intended. I get lost with trying to understand what file paths to edit etc and where to find them amongst all of the files/packages. I was curious if anyone else here has tried the same and found other howto's on doing this, or if there is something else you might have read up on in order to understand the basics behind Gunger explaining how to edit the file paths and re-save them etc. Thanks for any input you might have!

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 11
If you're using the SuperOneClick package, you can run it from anywere you unpack it to (be sure to run as Administrator).

After you've downloaded the Android SDK, the easiest thing to do is pay attention to the install path (or search your C:\ drive for adb.exe after installation), then copy everything in the directory adb.exe installed to, create a folder on C:\ named "Android" (path will now be C:\Android) and paste all files there (It's easier when you're using adb commands from DOS to simplify the path).

Search C:\ for the android_winusb.inf file you need to add information to for your Z2 (open file in notepad, edit, then save).

The adb_winusb.ini that you need to create (if it doesn't exist) should be in C:\Users\<username>\.android.  If you can't readily open the .ini file for editing, change the extension to .txt, edit, save, then change extension back to .ini.

Unpack the market apps in the "Market" folder you create on C:\.

Hope this helps!

Feb 25, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
If you're using the SuperOneClick package, you can run it from anywere you unpack it to (be sure to run as Administrator).

After you've downloaded the Android SDK, the easiest thing to do is pay attention to the install path (or search your C:\ drive for adb.exe after installation), then copy everything in the directory adb.exe installed to, create a folder on C:\ named "Android" (path will now be C:\Android) and paste all files there (It's easier when you're using adb commands from DOS to simplify the path).

Search C:\ for the android_winusb.inf file you need to add information to for your Z2 (open file in notepad, edit, then save).

The adb_winusb.ini that you need to create (if it doesn't exist) should be in C:\Users\<username>\.android.  If you can't readily open the .ini file for editing, change the extension to .txt, edit, save, then change extension back to .ini.

Unpack the market apps in the "Market" folder you create on C:\.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help... I have made much farther progress on this thanks to yours' and thor777's PM's but am still stuck 
frown.gif

1.) I have succesfully created the adb_usb.ini file I need in my '.android' hidden folder with the correct copied over information.

2.) I have found (by recognizing I never even had the Google USB driver installed) the android_winusb.inf file, and edited it correctly with TextPad to add parts to both the [Google.NTx86] and [Google.NTx64]; even though the latter appeared as ' [Google.NTamd64] ' and not [Google.NTx64]. Would that matter?

3.) I have installed both JDK and SDK platforms correctly.

4.) I also changed the PATH by adding the location of both the 'platform-tools' and 'tools' folder. I'm assuming by: 

When it comes to adding to the path variables the ";C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools;C:\android-sdk-windows\tools" part needs to be changed to point at the directory in which you installed the SDK.

That this would mean I should change the direction it's pointing to since the whole folder is located where it downloaded to, my desktop correct?

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86_64;C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD APP\bin\x86;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Users\J Bones\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\platform-tools;C:\Users\J Bones\Desktop\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64\sdk\tools

5.) USB debugging is turned on and I am running SuperOneClick as an Administrator. I close the files and click 'Root' on SuperOneClick and everytime it says 'Killing ADB server...' quickly followed by 'Starting ADB Server...' and then nothing else happens no matter how long I leave it connected.

I feel like I have everything done correctly and I've read over Gungr's thread a countless number of times and am at a final loss here, I'm stumped.

EDIT: I never really understood why I had to create a folder under C:\ named 'Android' and paste all of the files around adb.exe into it. Was this supposed to be the folder '.android' that I put the .ini file into?

EDIT #2: I read somewhere else as well that under the SDK file, the adb.exe file should not be the file used but rather the .zip version. I can't seem to find this?

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 11
I finally figured it out!!! What it really came down to was the fact that the ADB server just wouldn't start, because it couldn't find my Z2. but once I recognized that by connecting the Z2 with USB debugging off and starting SuperOneClick, and then turning USB debugging on after the ADB sever started, was the key to success! The Z2 is now rooted and fully stocked with apps and running awesome. If anyone has any questions about this process or gets stuck along the way I would be more than happy to help anyone as I spent quite a bit of time running through trial and error in figuring this out!

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #6 of 11
Awesome!  Good job!!

That's the one thing I didn't think to mention, as I had a one-time issue getting it to recognize my Z2, as well.  And this is after having messed around with rooting an Android phone.  ADB server can be finicky... it's like shooting in the dark, sometimes.

Oh well... rooting Android devices is not for the faint of heart, or technologically challenged!

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Awesome!  Good job!!

That's the one thing I didn't think to mention, as I had a one-time issue getting it to recognize my Z2, as well.  And this is after having messed around with rooting an Android phone.  ADB server can be finicky... it's like shooting in the dark, sometimes.

Oh well... rooting Android devices is not for the faint of heart, or technologically challenged!

Not one bit! But I'm quite happy with myself upon figuring it out. The ADB server definitely is hit or miss, but I'm sure someone will nail out this kink in the future. Thanks again for your help Hard Head!

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Hi, I've been stuck for a while now.. When I click root in SuperOneClick the program 'kills the ABD server', 'starts the ABD server', and then doesn't respond. What am I doing wrong? Nothing else at all shows up in the white space when I first start the program... I tried the method listed above (turning off debugging after SuperOneClick starts) with no success.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #9 of 11
Hi J,

I was trying to follow Gungr too, but it is almost impossible. I am literally stuck after the step - Install SDK. The next link about setting up SDK doesn't work. I am at a loss here. Would it be asking too much to guide me through the process step by step?

I have installed the JDK and SDK but then that is it.

I know I am asking too much but any step by step help will be appreciated. I have about 13 people who all bought Z2 together and we all have been unable to root the device, with one bricked already in the effort. All are done with the SDK installation but can't find the files or where to change the path, as I believe were the problems you were facing. None of us are developers with me being the best of all in terms of familiarity with the rooting and playing around with various devices! So you can imagine what we are talking about.

You will be helping 12 People :).

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 11
Ok J,

A quick UPDATE! I do not know how it all happened but I did manage to reach where you got stuck. The Super One Click not responding. Can you guide me through that?

This is what I get - killing ADB server - Kill Server - 0.07s
Starting ADB Server - Start Server - 4.11s - *daemon started successfully*

And all goes FROZEN from there.

Thanks!

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Ok Vangooey,

It is done. All I did after where you are stuck is downloaded Super Click 2.3.3 and started it. It said something in the lines of " driver for Cowon Z2 not found" I allowed it to force install the drivers. And it did and asked me to reconnect. Which meant that I had to just select "turn USB on" thingy on. Click "ROOT" and VOILA VOILA!!!! I AM SORTED! Thanks every one for the help!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back