Roon vs Amarra vs Audirvana on Mac?
May 10, 2018 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

aldinho878

500+ Head-Fier
Was wondering which of the 3 is better for Mac specifically for Tidal streaming? They all seem to have similar selling points of improving audio and providing smooth integration with Tidal, has anyone found one better than the other?

May 10, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 36
Audirvana. Hands down. Amarra is a mess, Roon is too expensive for just this application.

Audirvana has the most developed, cleanest interface with the most back-end stability that I've seen so far. The Tidal integration is smooth and great, and that Tidal integration carries over to the remote app seamlessly.

So if you're talking one computer, one output, Audirvana. If you plan on having a bunch of Roon-compatible streaming devices or multiple computers that you want to share a library across, Roon is probably a good idea.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 36
Audirvana. Hands down. Amarra is a mess, Roon is too expensive for just this application.

Audirvana has the most developed, cleanest interface with the most back-end stability that I've seen so far. The Tidal integration is smooth and great, and that Tidal integration carries over to the remote app seamlessly.

So if you're talking one computer, one output, Audirvana. If you plan on having a bunch of Roon-compatible streaming devices or multiple computers that you want to share a library across, Roon is probably a good idea.

I’m a fan of roon. I had older version of Amarra and it sounded great but had too many bugs. It seems that’s still the case with their latest software. I then moved onto Audiivana and really liked it but always seems a little bright in my system no matter the setting. I then found HQPlayer and it sounded amazing but terrible interface and didn’t work with ALAC files. That’s where roon came in. It could play ALAC files and Tidal thru HQPlayer. Now had best interface and best sound.

Roon just added MQA support so I can unfold MQA files and then have HQPlayer upsample. Roon also has its only upsampler that sounds pretty good.

I’ve also expanded to use an old iPhone and iMac to send music throughout the house. Can play music on my headphone setup while my wife plays different music at same time in living room. Can also combine areas to play same music in more than one spot.

Mobile support should be coming soon so can play your roon library on the go and if hook lighting camera connector and a dac to iPhone would be able to output MQA or upsample sound. Probably similar setup for android phones. Can do this currently at home but I haven’t tried.

But as previous person stated if just going to use one computer, Audivana is best choice. It also does MQA and upsampling.

May 13, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 36
I'm in agreement with the Audirvana crowd... Just check out this clean interface:
Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 1.43.55 AM.png
Sounds perfect, and it is so much smoother in operation compared to the Tidal app.

May 27, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 36
I'm in agreement with the Audirvana crowd... Just check out this clean interface:

Sounds perfect, and it is so much smoother in operation compared to the Tidal app.

I like how I am able to use my Sonore microRendu and the Audeze Reveal plug-in with Audirvana 3.2.7. My Audeze iSine 20's and LCD-X's sound great with Audirvana and the Reveal plug-in.

My Amarra 4 Luxe (Version 4.2.420-182) is fairly stable (for the most part) and sounds quite good, IMHO. There are built-in EQ presets for some headphones.

The GUI of Roon 1.5 (build 323) is excellent and it sounds really good, DSP (digital sound processing) on or off. There are also built-in DSP presets for the whole Audeze headphone line-up. Their built-in database of audio devices is outstanding.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 36
I like how I am able to use my Sonore microRendu and the Audeze Reveal plug-in with Audirvana 3.2.7. My Audeze iSine 20's and LCD-X's sound great with Audirvana and the Reveal plug-in.

My Amarra 4 Luxe (Version 4.2.420-182) is fairly stable (for the most part) and sounds quite good, IMHO. There are built-in EQ presets for some headphones.

The GUI of Roon 1.5 (build 323) is excellent and it sounds really good, DSP (digital sound processing) on or off. There are also built-in DSP presets for the whole Audeze headphone line-up. Their built-in database of audio devices is outstanding.
Hi, so which one do you like better? Can you hear any difference in sound quality between the 3 players? Thanks!

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 36
I have a heavy Mac setup around the house so Roon works great for me. My biggest complaint with Roon is offline or remote. When I travel I’d love t have offline a portion of my library, maybe just a few playlists!
Well, for that I’m using now Astell & Kern SR15.

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #10 of 36
I have a heavy Mac setup around the house so Roon works great for me. My biggest complaint with Roon is offline or remote. When I travel I’d love t have offline a portion of my library, maybe just a few playlists!
Well, for that I’m using now Astell & Kern SR15.

There is talk the next major update is going to be mobile. Believe the idea that you’ll have the exact same access on the road that you have in your house. Would think that would also allow all the same upsampling and filters too. Can’t wait.

Other rumor is integration with Qobuz streaming service. They will be in US before end of year but whether part of roon by then is unsure.

Sep 19, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 36
I find each software has good points and bad points.

Roon it,s beautiful, fast, features are added in a regular basis, Room support is very good and has a very active user forum. Roon is also very stable and sounds very good, Mobile roon apps work perfectly and look good. You can serve your library to different devices at the same time and each one playing a different song including mobile devices, it gives the possibility of create various home users so they can have their own playlists and favorites . It’s a more complex piece of software, but very well made. It.s licensed in anual subscription model or a lifetime purchase option

Audirvana is a simple audiophile player, it is very easy to use, install and configure, if you serve your music from a NAS scanning wil be slow, even navigation on your music library covers will be slow, the sound is also very good and more musical than roon, stability is good not on par with roon, support is noting to grab about. The interface is practical not beautiful, version 3.5 will take care of the looks soon, it’s affordable and new major version updates are paid. The remote app for mobile devices needs a better user interface and more functionality, it’s a simple remote. Audirvana licensing is a per device only.

I currently use Roon almost exclusively, because it gives me the best experience.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 36
I find each software has good points and bad points.

Roon it,s beautiful, fast, features are added in a regular basis, Room support is very good and has a very active user forum. Roon is also very stable and sounds very good, Mobile roon apps work perfectly and look good. You can serve your library to different devices at the same time and each one playing a different song including mobile devices, it gives the possibility of create various home users so they can have their own playlists and favorites . It’s a more complex piece of software, but very well made. It.s licensed in anual subscription model or a lifetime purchase option

Audirvana is a simple audiophile player, it is very easy to use, install and configure, if you serve your music from a NAS scanning wil be slow, even navigation on your music library covers will be slow, the sound is also very good and more musical than roon, stability is good not on par with roon, support is noting to grab about. The interface is practical not beautiful, version 3.5 will take care of the looks soon, it’s affordable and new major version updates are paid. The remote app for mobile devices needs a better user interface and more functionality, it’s a simple remote. Audirvana licensing is a per device only.

I currently use Roon almost exclusively, because it gives me the best experience.
I have to add that Audirvana no longer has support for direct mode with New OS like Sierra or high Sierra. It now sounds like crap with the new OS on Mac. I am not sure if this will ever be fixed. For now i am still running it my old Macbook with Yosemite. I would try to download the older Mac OS onto my new Macbook as virtual drive and see if that would work again. This means buyers planning to use on new Mac or a Mac with Sierra or high should seriously reconsider using it or not

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #14 of 36
I have to add that Audirvana no longer has support for direct mode with New OS like Sierra or high Sierra. It now sounds like crap with the new OS on Mac. I am not sure if this will ever be fixed. For now i am still running it my old Macbook with Yosemite. I would try to download the older Mac OS onto my new Macbook as virtual drive and see if that would work again. This means buyers planning to use on new Mac or a Mac with Sierra or high should seriously reconsider using it or not

Unfortunately yes, audirvana at the moment has more drawbacks than Roon on the Mac, I do not use it since July. I will try Audirvana again when v. 3.5 appears somewhere in the future.

Audirvana lauched on windows recently, windows version has a bigger installed user base, and that could be their priority at the moment since the Mac version is working.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #15 of 36
Unfortunately yes, audirvana at the moment has more drawbacks than Roon on the Mac, I do not use it since July. I will try Audirvana again when v. 3.5 appears somewhere in the future.

Audirvana lauched on windows recently, windows version has a bigger installed user base, and that could be their priority at the moment since the Mac version is working.
So does the Window version has some sort of direct mose then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back