Roon-ready DAP
Sep 21, 2018 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chortya

100+ Head-Fier
I am still evaluating Roon SW for the management and playback of my music collection and I have to say that I like it a lot. Probably not enough ti pay full lifetime license but enough to pay for 1 year...
I have been testing multiple endpoints and this resulted a decision to cancel my Google Music subscription as Roon with Tidal easely replaces it. Native Tidal not so much but in combination with Roon it's just perfect.

Now the ultimate target is to have an infrastructure at home that is versatile enough to support multuroom audio (currently Chromecast infrastructure) but also mobile audio playback. I have tested Hiby R6, LG G7 and will test iBasso DX150 as soon as it arrives and the conclusion is simple, Roon Android support is still in a very early stage. Internal DACs are not supported and standard OS mixer is used which results downsampling to 16bit. This is of course already addressed in the official Roon forum but I would like to use this thread to geather general experience of portable Roon use and maybe create more awareness for such demand with Roon developers.

So my expereince so far:
Hiby R6 - playback works but transport service fails sometimes. Restarting the app helps. Downsampling is showed int he chain. No app resolution scaling, everything is pretty small.
LG G7 - it seems transport stability is better but same situation with transcoding. Due to bigger screen app scaling is handled better.
iBasso DX150 - I still did not receive the player but plan to install Lurker firmware and test Roon right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back