Romantic Songs
Jan 2, 2005 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jwramp

100+ Head-Fier
I wanna make a cd for a lady-friend, and was skimming my ipod looking for some good songs, but nothing really popped out at me. I don't want anything cheesy, just something meaningful. Any suggestions? I only need a few tracks.

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #3 of 14
Some of my personal favs that I can think of off the top of my head (my def. of love songs may be different than yours, and there may some cheese factor):

Edwin Mccain - I'll be / I could not ask for more

Dru hill - How deep is your love

All 4 one - I swear / I could love you like that

Boyz II men - I'll make love to you / til the end of the road

Nsync - Something like you / Two of us / Gone / I thought she knew

BSB - All I have to give / I'll never break your heart / As long as you love me

Shaggy - Angel

Aerosmith - I don't wanna miss a thing / Crazy

98 degrees - My everything / I do / The hardest thing

Enrique Iglesias - Bailamos / Hero

Ricky Martin - She's all I ever had

Blink 182 - Josie

Incubus - Stellar

Kiss - Beth

Maroon 5 - She will be loved

O-town - All or nothing / These are the days

Oasis - Don't go away

Offspring - I want you bad

Orgy - Stitches / Fiction

Play - Is it love?

Richard Marx - Right here waiting

Selena - Dreaming of You / I could fall in love

The Calling -Wherever you will go

New Found Glory - Eyesore / The story so far

Tyrese - Sweet Lady

Peabo Bryson and Regina bell (I think) - A whole new world

Tonic - You wanted more

Aaron Carter - Do you remember / I'm all about you

Jan 2, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Stilton, brie, edam, camembert, it's all in kirosia's list
wink.gif

any of the magnetic fields' songs are guaranteed to be incurably romantic, but then a good 75% of them are also terribly depressing so possibly not the best choice. Hmm. Ben Folds - The Luckiest? For laugh value, Pulp - Bad Cover Version, though on second thoughts, keep that for when (if, says the optimist inside!) she dumps you. Radiohead - True Love Waits, if you can find it. Preferably the original bootleg version from 1995, with the awesome keyboard part, but there's a version on I Might Be Wrong (Live Recordings) which would do in a pinch.

Jan 2, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Although it may seem old-fashioned, I'd like to suggest making a tape instead of a CD for her. Making tapes requires more attention to the detail, for the example the arrangements of tracks or the lenght of the pauses and you will have to sit until one track ends, put in another song to record and so on. It's got that special touch to it because the receiving person knows how much effort will have gone into that tape. Of course, Cds are more user-friendly and you will have more flexibility. And if you are really into it, a CD can be made very special, too, such as mixing the songs together or creating a nice cover. In any case, since tapes are more special, misunderstandings can occur unless both parties are very clear about the motivations. Making tapes for friends is a very cool thing in my opinion although it's probably more fun when the unknown is part of the equation as well. Anyway, it's just a thought.

Regarding the romantic songs, which genre does your lady-friend prefer? The age may also play a role. And is she more into jazz, classical, pop, hiphop/rnb, rock, others or a mixture of genres? Do you prefer acoustic or vocal songs? Would you like to use popular tracks or something more unknown?
Further, since English is not my first language, I don't know what connotations "lady-friend" has. This might influence the choice of either male or female vocals and the appropriate lyrics.

Just a few songs out of my head (contemporary, melodic, vocal, female jazz, rather easy to listen to):
Silje Nergaard – Waltz
Lisa Nilsson - Those Who Were
Beady Belle - September
Leni Stern - Bury me Standing (very romantic although not necessarily implied in the title)

Jan 4, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Journey has a bunch of romantic songs.

Open Arms is pretty good.

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 14
The Postal Service - Nothing Better
Eminem - Crazy in Love
Jay-Z - Bonnie & Clyde
DJ Sammy - Heaven
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love
Dido - Closer
Coldplay - The Scientist

Edited because you were born in 1988.
600smile.gif

Jan 4, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 14
Wow, lots of good suggestions already - everything that popped immediately into my mind has already been suggested.

Scrolling through my library, I can add the following:
Elton John - "Your Song"
Josh Groban - "When You Say You Love Me"
Los Lonely Boys - "More Than Love", "La Contestacion"
Norah Jones - "Come Away With Me"
Santana feat. Dave Matthews - "Love of My Life"
Utada Hikaru - "Fly Me To the Moon" (or you can substitute the original version)

I have many more romantic songs...but they're all in Chinese. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back