Rolling Stones Newbie + SACD
Aug 23, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
So they have a UK SACD version of Aftermath and a US SACD version, and the UK version sounds better? Why the hell is that?

I actually wonder if this is true or if this is a leftover thing from the US and UK vinyl pressings being different quality?

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:31 PM Post #47 of 56
I find it unlikely that there are 2 separate re-masterings of the album using two separate "master tapes". I'm sure the SACD versions are identical sonically.

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
I find it unlikely that there are 2 separate re-masterings of the album using two separate "master tapes". I'm sure the SACD versions are identical sonically.

Quote:

I actually wonder if this is true or if this is a leftover thing from the US and UK vinyl pressings being different quality?

You may be right--this "difference" may be a holdover from the vinyl days. I guess the only way to check is to listen to both versions, something that I'm (nor anyone else, I guess) is prepared to spend the money to do.

Quote:

But if you get the UK versions of those two discs, then you're still missing the US-only tracks.

I think the safest bet is to figure out: (1) what songs you really want; (2) what records you really want. If you pick up "Hot Rocks" and almost any of the original albums, you will have some duplication.

"Flowers" makes sense if you buy the US versions of "Aftermath" and "Between the Buttons." It makes less sense if you buy the UK versions of those two records.

What I need to do is find a track listing of all the reissues and post them here.

Aug 23, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
...find a track listing of all the reissues and post them here.

They're all on bestbuy.com, it's just a pain to crossreference.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
You may be right--this "difference" may be a holdover from the vinyl days

????

The tracks have been digitally remastered and assembled in original sequence. The two versions would just have different track listings. What would this have to do with a "holdover from vinyl days".

If they made one version fake stereo and the other true mono, they'd be laughed right out of business.

Aug 23, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #51 of 56
i'd love to get some stones albums (as i don't have any), but now i am so thoroughly confused that i have no idea what to get.. oh well. i think i'll just try and stick with carlo's choices (as usual).
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2002 at 8:51 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle

????

The tracks have been digitally remastered and assembled in original sequence. The two versions would just have different track listings. What would this have to do with a "holdover from vinyl days".

If they made one version fake stereo and the other true mono, they'd be laughed right out of business.

What has been said (paraphrase):
"The UK versions supposedly sound better."

What I ACTUALLY said:
"I actually wonder if this is true or if this is a leftover thing from the US and UK vinyl pressings being different quality?"

Meaning that the comments/belief that one version may be better than the other may stem from a time in which the vinyl pressings were different and that if so this should have no effect on the SACD versions.

If, on the other hand, they're from completely seperate masters then we'd still have a difference.

Aug 23, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

What has been said (paraphrase):
"The UK versions supposedly sound better."

What I ACTUALLY said:
"I actually wonder if this is true or if this is a leftover thing from the US and UK vinyl pressings being different quality?"

Meaning that the comments/belief that one version may be better than the other may stem from a time in which the vinyl pressings were different and that if so this should have no effect on the SACD versions.

If, on the other hand, they're from completely seperate masters then we'd still have a difference.

I never claimed that one version was better than the other, whether the original reissue or the new SACD reissue. I said that I read in AMV that the original Aftermath UK version sounded better (and had a different cover and track listing) than the US version. Why the difference, I don't know. Saying "a holdover from the vinyl days" means that these differences stem from when both were originally released (around 1965) but it may be true no more. However, we'll soon see.

Quote:

i'd love to get some stones albums (as i don't have any), but now i am so thoroughly confused that i have no idea what to get.. oh well. i think i'll just try and stick with carlo's choices (as usual).

Don't be confused--if you want the hits, get "Hot Rocks." If you want the best two albums, get "Beggars Banquet" and Let It Bleed." Next, get "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" and "Aftermath." Lastly, get "Between the Buttons" and "Out of Our Heads." Your finished.

Aug 24, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #54 of 56
[QUOTEWhat I need to do is find a track listing of all the reissues and post them here. [/B][/QUOTE]

http://home-2.tiscali.nl/~heteren/Discography.html

I stumbled upon the above page when looking for a site that would list the tracks on the new Stones ABKCO SACDs. While it was written before the announcement of the SACDS, it is helpful in describing the differences between the UK/US versions of the same albums.

Hope it helps.

Aug 24, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #55 of 56
ABKCO Press Release Announcing the 'Stones SACD Reissues

Here's the ABKCO press release announcing the "Rolling Stones Remastered Series." If I've read it correctly, there should be no differences, sonically, between UK and US versions. The only difference should be in track listing and cover.

Also, both "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Jumpin' Jack Flash" will be released in stereo versions, unlike the (1986) versions that were in mono.

Lastly, the songs on "Let It Bleed" will be contiguous, with no bands of silence between songs. Apparantly, that's was the original intent of the album.

Aug 24, 2002 at 2:07 AM Post #56 of 56
I started a new thread for the track listing if anyone cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back