Rolled up cables---damage?
Jul 4, 2005 at 8:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
Pertaining to my HD 595, I usually roll up my cables around the headphone to keep them neat. But after doing this for so long the cables are kinda of crinky looking if you get my meaning...looking somwhat like ramen/instant noodles. Will this damage the cables in due time? Theya re the stock cables.

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 6
if you coil the wires tightly, yes - stock cables are usually composed of a couple of strands of extremely high gauge wire and if you keep coiling them very tightly it's very likely that they will break.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I agree. If the cable is coiled loosely, no harm done. However, if you're seeing a change in the cable, other than it being curled from a "memory" effect, I would stop coiling so tightly.

My wife has literally destroyed some of our appliance cords (vac, blow dryer, etc...) by coiling too tightly. In fact, the blow dryer almost caught fire because of it.
eek.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 6
I think I'll play it safe by not coiling them or at least rolling them in big circle. This was how all the phones came in originally. I just love how the AKG 501 doesn't have the memory effect. Their cable just fall down effortlessly like those Pantene advertisements
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Rolling or folding too tightly can most certainly damage the cable over time. Talk to any electronics repairman, I'm sure they can tell you stories. I've had power cables on appliances (usually that I found in the trash) cut in and out at certain points. Cut the cable and, hey, there's no wire in it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back