Rokit 6's Picking up Interference from PC
May 4, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

RumpleBillyBurp

New Head-Fier
Hello:

I just bought a pair of KRK Rokit 6's to replace my old Logitech x540 setup. I'm very happy with the monitors, but my problem is they're picking up a lot of interference from my PC, and I need to resolve this issue in order to not go insane from the noise. This is not just the normal hiss you hear when the room is quiet and you have your ear next to the speaker, it's more of a squealing; sounds kind of like Morse Code. It gets worse when scrolling with the mouse; starts sounding like when you're scanning through radio stations and you hit one that's all static.

Setup:

- KRK Rokit 6 Studio Monitors
- Connected via 1/8" to 2 RCA Cable to RCA extensions
- ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E Sound Card

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:

- Moved monitors to various locations in the room: No change.
- Removed wireless devices from PC (WLAN, Mouse / KB dongle) and turned off all wireless devices in house: No change
- Removed sound card and switched to onboard: No change
- Removed RCA extensions: No change
- Switched to PC front audio output connected through sound card: No change
- Connected monitors to x540 subwoofer, then subwoofer to PC: No change

- Tested monitors on laptop: No interference, just normal hiss!
- Tested monitors on TV: No interference!, just normal hiss!

I ran into this problem before with my x540s when I first installed my wireless card. I solved the issue my moving the sound card down one slot on the motherboard, as far from the wireless card as I could. Unfortunately I've eliminated both of these cards as an issue in this case.

What should I do? Do I need a DAC instead of a sound card, Balanced cables, a mixer?

Am oh so sad right now =(

**May 05, 2013 Update**

Today's troubleshooting:

- Moved power cords (3 prong) from surge protector directly to outlet: No change
- Moved power cords to different outlet in room (on same circuit): No change
- Moved power cords to different outlet in different room (on different circuit): Big change, pretty much just normal hiss!
- Moved power cords to power strip with no ground (i.e. removed ground from speakers): Big change, pretty much just normal hiss!

So, this would appear to be a ground loop (?) problem. Besides ripping the grounds off (which I'd rather not do), what can I do or buy to deal with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back