Rogue tube pre-amp/headphone amp: any thoughts?
Jun 21, 2005 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TonyTripleA

500+ Head-Fier
Just noticed this little beauty is available in Australia. And its sold not far from where I work:

Rogue Metis preamp

Looks good, sounds????

Anyone have any experience with these puppies?

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 21, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 3
Just worked out the photo is actually the Rogue integrated amp, not the pre-amp. If you look on this site you'll find the integrated amp mistakenly has the photo of the Rogue Metis Preamplifier.

Hope they sell me the wrong one, he, he, he.

TonyAAA

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 3
I went in to audition the new rogue balanced single ended headphone amp at the local rogue dealer. I found the new offering to be very competent in most areas and had a kind of unique ability to make headphones reproduction more like what you normally hear out of speakers. I auditioned it with my akg 712 and my mr speakers aon flow headphone. I especially enjoyed the the akg 712s reproduction of soundstage information with this excellent headphone amplifier . It has a sense of space and an alive engaging quality that makes headphone listening very enjoyable. It seems to have ample bass though maybe not as tight as some of the better solid state offerings out there . But tight enough to satisfy my tastes . The unit does have excellent dynamics which makes for an engaging listening experience. It also has a wonderful tonality that brings along with it a sense of body to musical instruments in a physical sense that is also engaging . The balance of strengths this unit brings to the game is very satisfying. It is also enjoyable in long term listening with little listening fatigue that you get in some of the more accurate and more neutral sounding units that trumpet accuracy and truth in listening above all. The units gain adjustment button gives you control of the amount of gain with three settings which makes the unit pretty flexible in its ability to drive headphones of various sensitivity to satisfying levels. Even fairly difficult headphones to drive that have low sensitivity ratings. Plus the unit fairly quiet for a tube hybrid unit So you can discern low level information during quiet passages. I think Rogue has got a winner in there new headphone amp preamp . A really stellar first foray into dedicated headphone amplifiers . The new rogue RH-5 headphone amplifier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back