Rode Podcaster recording levels
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Semus

New Head-Fier
So I just started doing some recording with this microphone and was wondering if anyone could tell me what level you have your microphone set to under windows?

If I choose a level around 50, it seems to give me  some good results, but seems somewhat quiet. If I go lower I'll need to eat the mic. If I go higher than 50 I may get some unwanted noise form the room.

If anyone here owns this mic or something similar, what in your experience, is the best level to keep the mic at under windows?

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 3
I use a Zoom H4n and I monitor with sound isolating headphones as I record and to check levels. 

Feb 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #3 of 3
Like in any mic - set level on which it's still below 0dB when you scream (or any loudest sound that may happen). Then in editor just use Hard Limiter to boost volume without clipping.

With my Podcaster I use 30% volume (my mouth is about 10cm from mic) and almost max on monitoring output (I use mixer for playback - stereo from PC and mono from mic). Then in editor I remove noise and use some effects with Hard Limiter. With some experience it's repeatable, so you don't have to set options in HL every time you record.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back