Rocoo P - Little review - Excellent DAP
Mar 7, 2012 at 5:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sly_in_the_sky

500+ Head-Fier
First I would like to apopogise for my english. Here are my impressions about this excellent player after 2 month of non-stop use, I will compare it to the well known Studio V that I also own :

Technical spec.

4GB internal (read micro SD 32 GB)
Price version "power": 169 USD
Price of the "standard" version: 129 USD
Output: same as the Studio V
Battery Life: 10 H

Design:

Dimensions: 8 x 5 x 1.3

The design is very beautiful, very different from the Studio about materials finishes. In hand, one has an amazing sense of lightness, that feeling of monolithic "brick" is not like the Studio. In the pocket, it’s simple, you tend to forget it

The front is clad on the entire surface by a clear plastic "sheet" glued (which unfortunately seems to be easily damaged) which gives a smooth and continuous area all over
​​the screen. At the rear, same "sheet" of plastic glued, thiner than the Studio V.

On the edge, the same metal as the Studio V With the jack, the "reset" hole, USB input + Micro SD slot.

Ergonomics / UI:

For this part, I'm not going to lie, it's the same as for the Studio V and Amp Studio Pro3  ... Simple, intuitive, clear and unadorned, personnaly I like it a lot. My model had no bugs.

Sound (with W4):

First thing I can say, is that the sound intensity level (volume) is the same as the Studio V. I get a strong enough volume to 13/31. Not having a full-size Headphone, I can not say if it can drive it but with IEM’s, no need to worry.

The player has several "presets" such as "rock, classical, bass," but my listening experience was soon limited to the base preset "natural".
Talking with Jack-fu before receiving the player, the SQ Rocoo P is suitable for listening to "modern" music in contrast to Studio V, which is rather a "monitor" model type with a more neutral rendering, that you can use with all genre of music.

My feeling is this: with modern music actually, there are a lot of qualities of Studio V: ventilation, living, dynamic, spatial, precision, instrument separation. The general feeling is excellent and very coherent.

The noticeable difference to my ears is in the bass region, which are more pronounced upward medium and also in the low bass, giving more slam with energetic music than the Studio but also reducing the treble feeling a bit.

[size=7pt] [/size]
[size=7pt]Not that the treble are not sharp, present or sparkle but in proportion to midrange and low, they are a bit behind. The bass remains excellent, well controlled, although textured with beautiful extensions.

This coloring increasing the sense of "warmth" and dynamism in this spectrum.  It is really suitted to modern music and neutral headphones.
[/size]

[size=7pt] [/size]
[size=7pt]For jazz or acoustic music, I think the bass becomes a bit too present and « cut » a bit of energy especially in the top treble region. The cymbals are such a little too short. I have not tried to settle on "jazz" for listening to acoustic music because I do not see myself doing such settings during jogging or fitness, since I listen to everything ...

Conclusion:

The advantage of this player is that it adapts easily to most modern music with a rather strong coloring increasing dynamism and punch low level (without being a basshead player ...)
[/size]

[size=7pt]Even if autonomy is low, its small size increases the portability without cutting the power factor, it may drive with great ease a lot of IEM's and probably even some headphones. [/size]
[size=7pt] [/size]
[size=7pt]Besides, it's pretty amazing to feel so much power in such a small player.

The « + »:

- SQ (for modern music)
- Power
- Attractive design
- Size, portability
- The price
- Read micro SD 32 GB

The « - »:

- Autonomy
- Front and back face a little bit fagile.
- A little less versatile than the Studio V concerning music genre.
[/size]

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 15
Hello,

Almost inexisting...just a little bit when there's no music but impossible to ear something while playing...

For those who like a more balanced sound, I installed the Studio V dynamic firmware on the Rocoo P and the result with the W4 is quite the same than with the Studio V (that I also own)...

Mar 12, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Hello,

Almost inexisting...just a little bit when there's no music but impossible to ear something while playing...

For those who like a more balanced sound, I installed the Studio V dynamic firmware on the Rocoo P and the result with the W4 is quite the same than with the Studio V (that I also own)...

Hi,

Thank you for the review. As I understand you own both Rocco P and Studio V, right? I am thinking to buy Studio V, but is there a big difference between Rocoo P and Studio V in terms of SQ that makes Studio V more preferable?

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 15
Yes I own the two players.

For me, with a W4 for example, the gap isn't huge if you take into account the fact that you can install the Studio V firmware in the Rocoo... Even with the Rocoo P original firmware, the gap isn't incredibly big speaking only about SQ. Now If you habe big headphones or use Ciem, perhaps the gap between the two players would be bigger.

With my EM4 for example, the Studio drives it with more autority, precision, with more hairy and opened sound....but with universal IEM, I think that the Rocoo P is the best choice taking into account the price gap...

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:

For me, with a W4 for example, the gap isn't huge if you take into account the fact that you can install the Studio V firmware in the Rocoo... Even with the Rocoo P original firmware, the gap isn't incredibly big speaking only about SQ. Now If you habe big headphones or use Ciem, perhaps the gap between the two players would be bigger.

With my EM4 for example, the Studio drives it with more autority, precision, with more hairy and opened sound....but with universal IEM, I think that the Rocoo P is the best choice taking into account the price gap...

Thank you for your answer.  I really appreciate that. Hm...actually the price gap is not really big because of the promotion that Hisound has right now. I can buy Hisound Golden Crystal IEMs and get for free Rocoo P or I can pay extra 180$ and get both Golden Crystal IEMs & Studio V. Quite a difficult choice, huh?
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 15
I purchased the RoCoo P to go with my Ultrasone PRO 550. I am getting it in later today. I chose it over the V because I read it is more meaty and powerful. My Pro 550 running out of my Creative Titanium HD unampped (A popular choice on Overclock.net) is great sounding not loud enough for me. I don't think a Neutral sound would work for them. Earbuds can be louder because they're rignt in your ear but these sound like they need a good boost. Hopefully I am satisfied. All I mainly listen to is pop and rock anyway. Anything else I can save for my home rig.

The Pro 550 have very heavy bass. I hope they pair well in that aspect.

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Thank you for your answer.  I really appreciate that. Hm...actually the price gap is not really big because of the promotion that Hisound has right now. I can buy Hisound Golden Crystal IEMs and get for free Rocoo P or I can pay extra 180$ and get both Golden Crystal IEMs & Studio V. Quite a difficult choice, huh?
wink.gif

Would you please post a link to the promotion, Kuroda Tsubasa?  Thank you in advance.

Quote:

Thanks for the additional input, sly_in_the_sky.  I'm deciding between a Studio V or a RoCoo P to pair with my Westone 2's.  Since you consider the sound quality very close with both running the Studio V firmware and your Westone 4's, are there any other differences that come to mind other than the build quality (metal vs. plastic), the battery life (85 hours vs 10 hours), and the line out (although I don't fully understand it's function)?

Mar 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 15
You mentioned all the differences between the two, no others differences. I am sure you will love the Rocoo with your Westone 2.

The Rocoo P also has the same line out than the Studio V.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:

The Rocoo P also has the same line out than the Studio V.

You're right, my mistake.  I meant to type "line in" as opposed to "line out".  I Googled around for the promotion Kuroda Tsubasa mentioned but I couldn't find anything 
frown.gif
.  I reread your review and was curious about the build quality of the RoCoo P, as you typed "Front and back face a little bit fagile."  In your opinion, is it worth twice the price for the solid metal body, the super extended battery life, and the ability to use it as an amp?  I have to admit that I find the metal much more appealing.

Mar 13, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 15
When I wrote "fragile", I just meant that it's easy to scratch the surface but you can protect it with a transparent film if you want. Despite that, the feeling of this player is solid.

For the difference, I think that it's up to you and the kind of use that can tell if yes or not it's worth the price. Difficult for me to answer... I have the chance to own both so I use the Studio V at home, with Jazz an using a Matrix-M Stage amp + my EM4 for serious listening and the Rocoo for outdor use, sport, workout... But before having the Rocoo, I also used the Studio "on the go" and it works very well for "outdor" use...it'is still little and not so heavy...

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:42 AM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for clarifying your thoughts on the build quality differences, and for the added information, sly_in_the_sky.  I just learned that the promotion link is on this site, so now I'll do some research on HiSoundAudio's earphones and make a decision.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 15
Thanks for clarifying your thoughts on the build quality, sly_in_the_sky, and for the additional information.  I just learned that the promotion is on this site so I'm going to research HiSoundAudio earphones then make a decision.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 15
You are welcome... happy if it can help.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #15 of 15
Nice review. I am new to this kind of thing hope I am not throwing stupid questions here
I am planning to buy this but I am not sure if this is going to work fine with my se535. I read some reviews and some is saying that hissing can be heard on high end IEMs. How was it with your w4? Are there any hissing? Was there a tremendous improvement in Bass using this DAP? Thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back