Rockna Wavelight
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,336 of 1,631
No, I had "old" usb module with unit default. Now I have the new module with galvanic isolation. No dependency on FW regarding new/old usb, I asked Rockna about that.
Hey can you tell me since when Rockna is selling the WL with the new USB module that has galvanic isolation on it?

Just thought this was available as separate board that you can upgrade with your existing WL, no?

Also is this now automatically build in when buying a new WL?

Thanks

Nov 3, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #1,337 of 1,631
Hey can you tell me since when Rockna is selling the WL with the new USB module that has galvanic isolation on it?

Just thought this was available as separate board that you can upgrade with your existing WL, no?

Also is this now automatically build in when buying a new WL?

Thanks
I think my WL was shipped right before the new usb module was ready. I guess new WL will have this by default? Surprised if not… I am no supplier of Rockna products, just end user…

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,338 of 1,631
I think my WL was shipped right before the new usb module was ready. I guess new WL will have this by default? Surprised if not… I am no supplier of Rockna products, just end user…
Can you post hires photo of the module?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #1,340 of 1,631
Small plugin card, ca 3x5cm, easy to change. You find picture posted earlier in this thread😃
Thanks for response. This part of the photo is in a shadow. After croping, it looks out of focus, I can't read markings on the chips. From a key components I see unmarked oscilator and an unidentified long size chip, possibly a high-frequency silicon isolator, but not sure. It looks like missing components are on the back, so a photo of both sides would be helping. Thanks.
IMG_20231104_105129.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #1,341 of 1,631
Thanks for response. This part of the photo is in a shadow. After croping, it looks out of focus, I can't read markings on the chips. From a key components I see unmarked oscilator and an unidentified long size chip, possibly a high-frequency silicon isolator, but not sure. It looks like missing components are on the back, so a photo of both sides would be helping. Thanks.
I have to unplug everything in my closed hifi rack that has to be unmounted to access everything, open up DAC again, rigg up ESD equipment, remove module, take new pics, reassemble DAC, plug in again, reassemble closed hifi rack. No time for this, sorry. Maybe you can ask Rockna to give you pics? The mini pcb is 2 sided with ICs on other side.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,342 of 1,631
Hello,

I have a question for you.
I couldn't find anything in the instructions for the Wavelight.
I have a cable XLR to Rca, the polarity of the XLR is Us, not European.
Does the phase on the Rockna have to be inverted or not when using this cable with Us polarity on the XLR connector?

Unfortunately I do not know how the Rockna is polarised in the delivery and whether Invert is Us or European.

Does anyone know?

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #1,343 of 1,631
Guess what I am doing right now... To early for impressions, except that I still dislike Roon and setup can be quite complex comparing to Lumin. IMHO it is the Roon complexity that takes whole pleasure and initial positive feeling about Server. Build like a tank. Probably nobody tested it with Mojo 2 via USB, unfortunately my WaveLight is in another location so I will be able to connect it next week.

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 20.50.35.png

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #1,344 of 1,631
Hello,

I have a question for you.
I couldn't find anything in the instructions for the Wavelight.
I have a cable XLR to Rca, the polarity of the XLR is Us, not European.
Does the phase on the Rockna have to be inverted or not when using this cable with Us polarity on the XLR connector?

Unfortunately I do not know how the Rockna is polarised in the delivery and whether Invert is Us or European.

Does anyone know?
I think the XLR connectorss now have the same polarity worldwide.
"Prior to the introduction of this standard, the wiring of pins 2 and 3 varied. The pin 2 "hot" and pin 3 "cold" convention was typically used by European and Japanese equipment manufacturers, but American companies used pin 3 "hot" and pin 2 "cold". This caused problems when interconnecting equipment with unbalanced connections. The pin 3 "hot" convention is now obsolete but is still found on vintage equipment.[21] Pin 1 has always been ground and/or shield if the cable is shielded, and many connectors connect it internally to the connector shell or case."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #1,345 of 1,631
I think the XLR connectorss now have the same polarity worldwide.
"Prior to the introduction of this standard, the wiring of pins 2 and 3 varied. The pin 2 "hot" and pin 3 "cold" convention was typically used by European and Japanese equipment manufacturers, but American companies used pin 3 "hot" and pin 2 "cold". This caused problems when interconnecting equipment with unbalanced connections. The pin 3 "hot" convention is now obsolete but is still found on vintage equipment.[21] Pin 1 has always been ground and/or shield if the cable is shielded, and many connectors connect it internally to the connector shell or case."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR_connector
Hello,
thanks for your reply,🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏.
I am aware of the polarity of the cable.
The cable I have made is on US configuration.
Because the Gustard R26 requires this although I could invert the signal.
If I now use a Eu cable XLR on the Gustard I have to invert the signal on the Gustard, but not on the Us cable.
I lend the self made cable to a friend for testing who has the Wavelight and we need to know if we need to invert the signal on the Rockna?
Since the manual only says that it can but does not say how it is polarised for invert and not invert.
We need to know this so that there are no tonal shifts.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #1,346 of 1,631
I have to unplug everything in my closed hifi rack that has to be unmounted to access everything, open up DAC again, rigg up ESD equipment, remove module, take new pics, reassemble DAC, plug in again, reassemble closed hifi rack. No time for this, sorry. Maybe you can ask Rockna to give you pics? The mini pcb is 2 sided with ICs on other side.
Don't need to be pressured, someone else will make good photos while upgrading USB module.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,347 of 1,631
If anyone is interesting here are my current test settings for Rockna WaveLight Server with Rockna WaveLight (without latest firmware update):

On WLS:
  • I2S Processing: 352/384k
  • PCM Upsampling: Minimum
On WL:
  • Hybrid Volume Mode
  • Linear Filter

Screenshot 2023-11-06 at 22.16.14.png

Playing mostly CD rips in 24/44 format.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,349 of 1,631
Nice!🤩
Compared the WLS to other streamers?
@TBMY The main contender is Lumin Mini U1. I've had ifi zen stream but this is basically over engineered RPI like with broken software based on volumio (which is kind of an art to break otherwise correctly working open source software and make it closed source - something that ifi recently excels in). So far Lumin is winning. Works out of the box, doesn't need Roon and it has display. The software updates are constant and usually work. It doesn't provide upsampling but I'm not sure Rockna WL really needs it - it is already smooth sounding without it. Anyway it is too early for me to provide a verdict.

Nov 10, 2023 at 3:56 AM Post #1,350 of 1,631
Another day starting with Rocka WaveLight Server :)

So far I think I prefer 352/384K upsampling to DSD 256/512. Sometimes the DSD sounds a bit dry, however this may be my imagination. Honestly speaking I don't know if I could tell which upsampling method is selected in blind test on every track or album I know very well assuming the volume level would be matched. The DSD upsampling makes the sound noticeable quieter and you need to turn up a volume if you were listening on low level.

Another thing that I've noticed with Server: a huge difference in volume levels between all my recordings: so far I only use WLS with files that are either rips from my CDs or original FLACs or DSD/DXD files from HDTracks, NativeDSD etc. One can not just setup single volume level and listen. Guess Roon has some setting to deal with that but I need to test it how it would impact SQ.

As a side note: Rockna WL is so great DAC, thanks to Server I keep it on for whole day enjoying music. I never heard another DAC that would allow me to immerse myself into music and just enjoy it while not loosing a bit of it. :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back