Rockna Wavelight
Oct 6, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,306 of 1,631
@ThanatosVI that means that if I follow Server path I also will need convert myself to Roon. ARC is pretty nice I must say last time I've checked it. I also emailed my local dealer about demo of Server and they toldme that theoretically few pieces are already in shippment byt without confirmed arrival date :frowning2: The very slow and painful software updated for Rockna and AudioByte plus Server price and further waiting times still scares me away.
Well to use the Server right now I definitely recommend Roon. (I started my Roon Trial yesterday, just for the Server evaluation)

In the future it's supposed to have native access to Streaming Services and even CD playback capabilities, then it's probably worth using without Roon.
However Updates for Rockna take ages.
We still don't have the Hybrid DAC Mode for the Wavelight DAC even tho it has been announced 3-4 years ago

Oct 9, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,307 of 1,631
Well to use the Server right now I definitely recommend Roon. (I started my Roon Trial yesterday, just for the Server evaluation)

In the future it's supposed to have native access to Streaming Services and even CD playback capabilities, then it's probably worth using without Roon.
However Updates for Rockna take ages.
We still don't have the Hybrid DAC Mode for the Wavelight DAC even tho it has been announced 3-4 years ago
Hybrid DAC mode? What is that? Do you have any details?

Oct 9, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,308 of 1,631
Hybrid DAC mode? What is that? Do you have any details?
The official Website mentioned it for years now
Screenshot_20231009-150202.jpg

DAC Type R2R 25bit and Hybrid mode which is still in development

Don't know any more thsn that, only that Nicolae mentioned it will come some time after WLS release

Oct 12, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #1,309 of 1,631
Talk to your Rockna supplier...
US distributor was unresponsive, but Rockna said it should be available in the next few months…I know what I want for Christmas!

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,310 of 1,631
The official Website mentioned it for years now
Screenshot_20231009-150202.jpg
DAC Type R2R 25bit and Hybrid mode which is still in development

Don't know any more thsn that, only that Nicolae mentioned it will come some time after WLS release
Talked to them a month ago, they said the Hybrid mode is a few months out. They are actively working on it.
If Hybrid volume is anything to go by, this Ladder mode should be a nice upgrade from the current R2R mode. At least I hope that's the case.

Oct 19, 2023 at 1:19 AM Post #1,311 of 1,631
Talked to them a month ago, they said the Hybrid mode is a few months out. They are actively working on it.
If Hybrid volume is anything to go by, this Ladder mode should be a nice upgrade from the current R2R mode. At least I hope that's the case.
@batmansbest sorry to disappoint you but we have heard that story few times already. As much as I love my WL and admire it, Rockna Audio is very slow with software releases. At least we can be happy that it seems we are in better situation than Audio Byte customers - take a look at VOX topic and those are the same people as Rocka AFAIK.

It will be done when it will be done.

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #1,312 of 1,631
@batmansbest sorry to disappoint you but we have heard that story few times already. As much as I love my WL and admire it, Rockna Audio is very slow with software releases. At least we can be happy that it seems we are in better situation than Audio Byte customers - take a look at VOX topic and those are the same people as Rocka AFAIK.

Unfortunately this is true.

I received my Wavelight 2 weeks ago as of this day.
There still is no app in the store nor a manual online.

Not that it is necessary to use it, but it's past the promised due dates yet again.

My free Roon trial expired and I decided on the lifetime Account. Really nice Software to use.

As of the Rockna itself, guess Software and Update speed is their weakness, but the devices do sound great

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #1,313 of 1,631
Unfortunately this is true.

I received my Wavelight 2 weeks ago as of this day.
There still is no app in the store nor a manual online.

Not that it is necessary to use it, but it's past the promised due dates yet again.

My free Roon trial expired and I decided on the lifetime Account. Really nice Software to use.

As of the Rockna itself, guess Software and Update speed is their weakness, but the devices do sound great
Lifetime purchase of Roon is a wise choice. I've had it for 2 years and I'm not changing it.

Oct 19, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,314 of 1,631
Lifetime purchase of Roon is a wise choice. I've had it for 2 years and I'm not changing it.
I'm a little annoyed about the price increase.
If WLS had been released in 2020 when I ordered, I could have gotten the lifetime for 599,99 instead of 829,99

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #1,315 of 1,631
I'm a little annoyed about the price increase.
If WLS had been released in 2020 when I ordered, I could have gotten the lifetime for 599,99 instead of 829,99
Mee too. But own fault. I could have bought Roon three years ago. Roon server can be run on an ordinary PC. Roon bridge as well.
Roon does not need WL server, WL server does not need Roon. But nicer when hey find each other.

I still do not know how to run Roon bridge on WaveDream Net. Anyone any idea?

Oct 19, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,316 of 1,631
Mee too. But own fault. I could have bought Roon three years ago. Roon server can be run on an ordinary PC. Roon bridge as well.
Roon does not need WL server, WL server does not need Roon. But nicer when hey find each other.

I still do not know how to run Roon bridge on WaveDream Net. Anyone any idea?
I don't have any PC suitable for Roon though and the WLS was my first Server.

Therefore I wouldn't have been able to use Roon without WLS.

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,317 of 1,631

Let's see what happens :)
The wavelight is sounding incredible in my system, so I can wait...I'm in no hurry.

By the way, not to create problems for people using Roon, but in my experience, it has the worst sound quality out of all the audiophile media players that I have used so far, even using HQPlayer with it for whatever reason sounds significantly worse than using HQPlayer directly or through another transport.
Roon has great functionality and ease of use though...

Oct 19, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #1,318 of 1,631
Let's see what happens :)
The wavelight is sounding incredible in my system, so I can wait...I'm in no hurry.

By the way, not to create problems for people using Roon, but in my experience, it has the worst sound quality out of all the audiophile media players that I have used so far, even using HQPlayer with it for whatever reason sounds significantly worse than using HQPlayer directly or through another transport.
Roon has great functionality and ease of use though...
I totally agree regarding Roon. I my experience it sounds best when the core is separated from the endpoint, but compared to native server players it is lackluster. However, the user experience is really hard to beat .

Oct 19, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #1,319 of 1,631
I've dabbled a little with AES vs i2S using the WL DAC + WL Streamer combo, and although it's not a 1:1 comparison given I am using a Pink Faun i2s cable versus a placeholder AES Blue Jeans cable + the server only upsamples i2s at the moment (AES coming eventually), there is a bit of a noticeable difference.

AES adds a bit more warmth and brings the mids forward with a more analogue, less controlled/tight bass. Soundstage width does increase but SS depth decreases. i2S is more detailed, clear, tight, precise, with a better dynamic range, while retaining natural musicality.

All in all, I am still very happy with the purchase and hope that some of these promised updates for both the DAC and streamer come sooner than later. Now debating how to save up for a WA 23 Luna to replace my Ferrum stack for that final ~lush touch to the chain.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #1,320 of 1,631
I don't have any PC suitable for Roon though and the WLS was my first Server.

Therefore I wouldn't have been able to use Roon without WLS.
Sorry if I was misunderstable. I meant my own fault. I did not want to be dependent on Roon by equipment choice (roon ready/certified).
Now I wish RS8 to be Roon ready. This forced resampling with roon remote app is good, but Qobuz app brings better audio quality, not to mention UAPP.
Same is valid for the WDNet. It is not on the Roon homepage, and I could make it working together with the WL without resampling. Maybe also my own fault. If anyone have any idea what do I do wrong there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back