Rockna Wavelight
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,381 of 1,645
Took a leap of faith and updated Wavelight FW for first time, going from v2.06,0203 to v2.10,0203 by playing the recommended wav update file for 2.xx.
Update went ok. Did a power off/on afterwards to set things straight, and puhhh, there was sound...:sunglasses:

First impressions going from 2.06 to 2.10 is a bit increased fundament in the lowest bass tones, more resolution there (I have full range horn).
NIce!:thumbsup: The background is a tad "blacker" and I believe a bit improved imaging? Have to play more songs...
What do you experience on your system?
So... removing expectation bias, they sound identical? :D

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #1,383 of 1,645
I just had two hours of alone time, my wife and mom took our newborn out so I had some time to listen.

Totally agree with @TBMY : I hear more resolution, blacker backgrounds, the background vocals are more distinct, better imaging of instruments panning left and right as well as depth of soundstage. I feel like the soundstage is a tad larger and deeper but not artificially so like I have experienced with some cables. There is definitely some increased clarity in the bass region.

Nov 14, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #1,384 of 1,645
from what I remember, some DACs a while ago would chop bits as a means of reducing output volume
That is also a way of decreasing/varying the output voltage, but not very audiophil friendly.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #1,385 of 1,645
That is also a way of decreasing/varying the output voltage, but not very audiophil friendly.
Chopping bits is not good, as it create quantization distortions. However if done properly with high precision calculations - it can be done in FPGA - there is no distortions. In practice for a ladder DAC additional bits above a physical DAC resolution can be used for bit shifting (MSB to MSB-1, etc.). With added dithering this method is also acceptable solution. By example a DAC with 18-bits physical resolution and 28-bit ladder has a headroom for 10-bits step-down volume control and still preserve 18-bit precision.

Cutting long story short, our established views need to be adjusted with advance of technology. By example, Foobar 2000 use high precision mathematics for volume control, but if a DAC reports ability for volume control, it sends a command to a DAC the control register and procede with transfering datastream unchanged. It is a part of USB UAC 2.0 specification, volume control commands are also standardised.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:49 AM Post #1,387 of 1,645
Does firmware update require USB connection or other connections likes I2S or AES can be used?
The manual speaks about USB. I did it in a strange way. Firmware in a pendrive on the back of the Lumin U2 mini connected in USB to the Waveligjht, then play :)
Worked for me, but I suggest to follow the instructions on the manual, any other way you do it's at your own risk.

Nov 15, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #1,388 of 1,645
I tried aes but it didn't commence update.
tried updating via rockna app (dac to standby and then got a firmware update notification, did it, saw the number go to 100%, display showed UPD.DONE, rebooted dac) but firmware number didn't change...

did USB from laptop
sound out at 48khz didn't commence.
44.1khz 16 bit didn't commence.
44.1khz 24bit worked! played the wav file using windows media player.

updated to version 1.38.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,389 of 1,645
Does firmware update require USB connection or other connections likes I2S or AES can be used? Anyone had any problems with current updates during installation or after?
I tried I2S but could manage. For long time experimenting through the WaveDream Net, now from Cayin N30LE - still no success.

Nov 15, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #1,390 of 1,645
Does firmware update require USB connection or other connections likes I2S or AES can be used? Anyone had any problems with current updates during installation or after?
I have updated the unit through USB from my server every time; that's the only connection ive used aside from the one time when the unit bricked and I had to use the MPLAB PICKit unit directly connected to the circuitboard.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #1,392 of 1,645
For all the Rockna WaveLight Server users, a new update is available. It seems that network drive mapping is the new functionality :)

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 19.11.20.png

For those interested: update went smoothly and requires a single reboot. It is wise to restart control app as well after reboot.

Nov 17, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #1,393 of 1,645
in addition the the previously mentioned differences with the new Wavelight firmware, I have noticed a greater difference between analog and hybrid volume modes.

Nov 17, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #1,394 of 1,645
For all the Rockna WaveLight Server users, a new update is available. It seems that network drive mapping is the new functionality :)

Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 19.11.20.png

For those interested: update went smoothly and requires a single reboot. It is wise to restart control app as well after reboot.

Thanks!

I can't get it to update lol.. stuck at 1 percent for the longest time. have tried rebooting the dac too, and restarting update.

Screenshot_20231118_063548_Rockna WLS.jpg

Nov 18, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #1,395 of 1,645
Thanks!

I can't get it to update lol.. stuck at 1 percent for the longest time. have tried rebooting the dac too, and restarting update.

Screenshot_20231118_063548_Rockna WLS.jpg
@Roasty sorry to hear that. My Android app is not showing correct info after update, in fact there are differences in information shown by Android, iOS apps and WLS web server. Try updating from WLS web server directly. Just add paste your WLS name or IP address into web browser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back