Rockna Wavedream DAC
Jun 23, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #136 of 345
Hi guys,

Not sure it is the right place to post. I am interested in upgrading my Audio GD R7HE/DI-20HE/Mutec Ref10 to other DACs. My targets are Holo May KTE, Rockna Wavedream and Mystique X.

I am actually happy with my AGD combo but the curiosity keeps popping up. Is there anyone have experience or comment to share? I just want to know whether it is worth upgrading in terms of price/SQ.

It will mostly for headphones including HE6, 1266 TC and Susvara to name a few. I don't need any fancy features like MQA, etc.

Thank you.

So I spoke to the owner of Mojo Audio a month ago or so about the Mystique X.

He told me he really designed that DAC for people who play CDs. It's got a fairly low output voltage, I think it 2.2v ptp. Considering I stream most of my music this probably wasn't the best match for me.

The Rockna and the Holo are excellent DACs for streaming. Maybe because this is the Rockna thread, I'm sort of leaning this way myself

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #137 of 345

He told me he really designed that DAC for people who play CDs. It's got a fairly low output voltage, I think it 2.2v ptp. Considering I stream most of my music this probably wasn't the best match for me.

The Rockna and the Holo are excellent DACs for streaming. Maybe because this is the Rockna thread, I'm sort of leaning this way myself

Thank you for your reply. I mostly play offline music stored in HDD connected to Roon-Ready streamer. Rockna and Holo might be a better fit for me then.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #138 of 345
Thank you for your reply. I mostly play offline music stored in HDD connected to Roon-Ready streamer. Rockna and Holo might be a better fit for me then.
I beg to differ, it is not about CD, it is more about synergy. This dac works magically with woo wa22 and solid speaker amp M1 plus. The magic of this dac is you don't need to buy crazy equally expensive parts in every link, which could be too much of a good thing.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #139 of 345
TOTL dacs are like TOTL cables they are tuned to please certain kind of taste and people, and diminishing return is crazy!

Personally speaking, I am impressed with the most affordable one in this bunch which is Esoteric N05XD, which has the best height and width. Yet, it has a house sound as many TOTL dacs in that you know you are listening via the dac. The streaming part is meh which doesn’t allow upsamping even it is developed by LUMIN and can be controlled by LUMIN APP. The Headphone output is also just ok, it is not bad but neither good. Dac is definitely the forte of N05XD, which is their new discrete dac. It is might be one of my favorite digital sound as so detailed, layered and nuanced. It is definitely not detailed in a way of Mytek Empire or Rockna Wavedream where all the details are forcing into your ears, but the detailed are represented in a nuanced way. I’m told by other owners that it will be a huge change adding another clock, which would be another amount of investment. Plus I believe it will sound better with better source which adds to the cost. But man in terms of price to performance ratio, it is no brainer as one of the best digital dacs.

Yet I really love to buy 01XD. While it has doubled cost but it also has doubled number of discrete chips per channel plus better clock which seems to be the same clock as the flagship. 01XD is my favorite Dac at Chicago Axpona 2022 btw.

X1 is typical LUMIN sound, the streamer part of X1 is clearly better than Esoteric 05XD. X1 is also tighter and more dynamic, yet the deal breaker for me is that it sounds flat like Rockna Wavedream and Matrix X with lack of depth and height.

Metiner Dac 3 definitely has the most analogue sounding in these dac yet compared to TOTL R2R as my reference Mojo Mystique, it still sounds digital. It reminds me of M2 but am upgraded version. I feel folks who love analogue sound may love this tuning.
IMG_20220625_140420.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220625_134247.jpg
    IMG_20220625_134247.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #140 of 345
TOTL dacs are like TOTL cables they are tuned to please certain kind of taste and people, and diminishing return is crazy!

Personally speaking, I am impressed with the most affordable one in this bunch which is Esoteric N05XD, which has the best height and width. Yet, it has a house sound as many TOTL dacs in that you know you are listening via the dac. The streaming part is meh which doesn’t allow upsamping even it is developed by LUMIN and can be controlled by LUMIN APP. The Headphone output is also just ok, it is not bad but neither good. Dac is definitely the forte of N05XD, which is their new discrete dac. It is might be one of my favorite digital sound as so detailed, layered and nuanced. It is definitely not detailed in a way of Mytek Empire or Rockna Wavedream where all the details are forcing into your ears, but the detailed are represented in a nuanced way. I’m told by other owners that it will be a huge change adding another clock, which would be another amount of investment. Plus I believe it will sound better with better source which adds to the cost. But man in terms of price to performance ratio, it is no brainer as one of the best digital dacs.

Yet I really love to buy 01XD. While it has doubled cost but it also has doubled number of discrete chips per channel plus better clock which seems to be the same clock as the flagship. 01XD is my favorite Dac at Chicago Axpona 2022 btw.

X1 is typical LUMIN sound, the streamer part of X1 is clearly better than Esoteric 05XD. X1 is also tighter and more dynamic, yet the deal breaker for me is that it sounds flat like Rockna Wavedream and Matrix X with lack of depth and height.

Metiner Dac 3 definitely has the most analogue sounding in these dac yet compared to TOTL R2R as my reference Mojo Mystique, it still sounds digital. It reminds me of M2 but am upgraded version. I feel folks who love analogue sound may love this tuning.
IMG_20220625_140420.jpg
Did you listen to the AC Kassandra at all?

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #142 of 345
I'm getting my Wavedream Balanced this week.. very excited for it. Any recommendations on good streamers or DDCs to use with it?

how about the Wavedream Net/server? but congrats man! I have been trying to arrange a home demo with no luck so far. got a call from the local dealer recently, saying it is finally available to loan to me, but I had to go on a holiday and lost the chance.

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #143 of 345
how about the Wavedream Net/server? but congrats man! I have been trying to arrange a home demo with no luck so far. got a call from the local dealer recently, saying it is finally available to loan to me, but I had to go on a holiday and lost the chance.
I bought it used without hearing it first haha so I guess you can call it auditioning with risk. But honestly I read so much about it and after spending some time with other DACs I feel this is a good direction for what I'm looking for. We'll see if I'm right soon enough lol

I don't need all the functionality the Net provides, might a bit overkill and $$$

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #145 of 345

This doesn't make sense. 2v is within spec for single-ended output, regardless of whether you stream or use CD as input. The type of digital input should have 0 effect on DAC's output voltage.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #146 of 345

Thanks for the impression. These are some nice looking gear. I have some issues with characterizing Meitner MA-3 as TOTL. To be completely frank, Meitner is the budget brand of Emm Labs. In order to reduce costs, many of the techniques used in the Emm Labs dacs to reduce noise (and others) are not implemented. I would start at Emm Labs dac2x, but you should really be testing Emm Labs DA2, which is TOTL. If you are looking for a more vinyl-style analog sound, you should look instead at Linn Akurate and Klimax lines.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #148 of 345
Hey guys, i have signature se and looking for signature balanced. I have no idea about sound difference but balance has higher output voltage. If this is the only difference than game is not worth for me…
Fortunately this is not one of those amps where it’s better balanced than SE. Before my purchase I had a conversation with my dealer and several users and they all recommend getting the SE version unless you uses for those outputs. They noted no difference between the outputs. The jump in price is significant and we are basically paying for the extra modules needed for balance operations. Works out great for me as I’m only using tube amps.

Even if I’m using balanced out from the dac I will still need a transformer to convert the signal and an additional transformer introduced to the chain will definitely colour the sound in some ways whether you like it or not.

Jul 21, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #149 of 345
Fortunately this is not one of those amps where it’s better balanced than SE. Before my purchase I had a conversation with my dealer and several users and they all recommend getting the SE version unless you uses for those outputs. They noted no difference between the outputs. The jump in price is significant and we are basically paying for the extra modules needed for balance operations. Works out great for me as I’m only using tube amps.

Even if I’m using balanced out from the dac I will still need a transformer to convert the signal and an additional transformer introduced to the chain will definitely colour the sound in some ways whether you like it or not.
I use 2 amps - agd he9 and tube amp. Tube is se and he9 is fully balanced. Anyway I haven’t heard noticeable difference while compare SE and balance output on previous Dac (terminator plus). There were some difference but RCA sound more full bodied but with less separation between channels. I chose RCA. So may be I have to stay with signature SE with WD also…

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #150 of 345
20220725_193649-01.jpeg

dealer dropped this off last night, so I have this single ended signature edition on loan for a while.

maybe premature, but I think it's the best dac I've ever had the pleasure of trying in my home setups. though the thread starter has not been seen on this forum since 2018, I have to echo the first post in this thread..

Super high resolution, yet not a trace of digital glare.

that, and amazingly good low end. feels like a Wavelight on steroids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back