Rockna Wavedream DAC
May 30, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #16 of 352
Rockna is more loved than slice bread on our Sonic Visions discord. I always wondered why chord dave was praised so much yet not Rockna. Saleh truly amazing front end! Rockna coming out with a cheaper streamer soon, looks interesting.
Hey Man,
Its an amazing dac indeed.
Just couple of days ago i heard it again vs dave in my setup.
Dave sounds cleaner as is its sound has been sanitatized with alchol (take than for an analogy, could not find a better one haha). Its very technically capable and maybe its slightly faster, but it still the same sound which i preferred denafrips terminator with board V2 over. I guess i just love how organic R2R sounds and that's that. The rockna is more organic, more detailed, and possibly more dynamic as well. Dave had the vocals sound cleaner and more separated. But is that more realistic? Did not sound like that to me. Maybe the dave owner preferred that presentation. I think at this level its truly a matter of taste.
Well if u ask me why there is more chatter about chord than rockna, i would say mainly probably rockna doesn't advertise as much, also, until recently they didn't have a true entry level dac that more people could afford arguably (wavelight). If you have even more affordable products like chord does with mojo, hugo 2 and qutest, you will definitely have more people talking about you and dreaming of the higher end dac in your line up.
However, i guess its mainly that rockna guys are too busy to give proper time for marketing, from what i saw dealing with them. I think they depend on dealer show rooms and word of mouth. strangely happy owners are rarely online to say good stuff. Since I'm liking what i hear, i tried to spread the such information myself ))

May 30, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #17 of 352
@Saleh84

Have u had a chance to compare the wavedream to the wavelight? Looking to change up one of my dacs and wavelight comes in at a nice price point.

May 31, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #19 of 352
@Saleh84

Have u had a chance to compare the wavedream to the wavelight? Looking to change up one of my dacs and wavelight comes in at a nice price point.
Hey Roasty,
I just heard the WD signature and that's it! Can't be of help here... But i can vouch for Rockna in general from my own experience. I think it will be a very good dac and high value/performance against similar priced dacs.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 352
Is the there a big difference between single ended and balanced as there is quite a price difference

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #21 of 352
Jul 19, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #22 of 352
Aug 3, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 352
I've got the base model (SE single ended) .. unit kicks butt. Easily bested the Holo 2 KTE and Yggy when I had all 3 in my listening room for a couple months.

If you've got the cash - absolutely worth it. There's so many neat features to tune the sound with the filters, it's so flexible.

On the hunt for an end game i2s streamer/renderer now. The Wavedream NET is the obvious choice but I'd like to stay south of 5k if I can. Also just looking for Roon endpoint functionality, I don't need a CD ripper etc.

Also need an end game i2s cable .. RAL in the lead right now. Also enjoyed the Tubulus Argentus. Two very different cables however.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 352
I've got the base model (SE single ended) .. unit kicks butt. Easily bested the Holo 2 KTE and Yggy when I had all 3 in my listening room for a couple months.

If you've got the cash - absolutely worth it. There's so many neat features to tune the sound with the filters, it's so flexible.

On the hunt for an end game i2s streamer/renderer now. The Wavedream NET is the obvious choice but I'd like to stay south of 5k if I can. Also just looking for Roon endpoint functionality, I don't need a CD ripper etc.

Also need an end game i2s cable .. RAL in the lead right now. Also enjoyed the Tubulus Argentus. Two very different cables however.

Hi Alex,

I just replied to you over Audiophile style but copying the reply here in case someone else had the same question and are only here on head fi, they would benefit too.

Glad you are enjoying the dac, its absolutely phenomenal. I have only heard the signature but I'm sure yours is very close.

For an i2s server, I have just heard the NET. However, the discovery I made after experimenting other outputs of the NET (usb and coax), also other servers within my friend's group, such as aurender n10 (my previous server), auralic g1, DCS network bridge, and a custom built server:
1)the NET literally walked all over those. Its better by a good margin on all aspects.
2)the NET strength is not the I2s. Its the NET itself! I2s is a slightly better, but i would recommend this server with any dac even if it doesn't have an i2s input. Any output on the NET would do, for real. honestly speaking, right now i feel its a better value than the dac. That's how awesome it is.

From chatting with Nucu, the wavelight server is very close to NET performance minus the CD memory player section. I would have bought a wavelight, but i just couldn't wait till its available. I have no CDs at all. Btw, both are both Roon core + end point in one device. Which is even better.

You wavedream dac will surprise you, how much better it would sound when coupled with NET or wavelight server (any dac in fact would). My suggestion, look no further, i firmly believe in this price segment, the rockna servers are superior and will crush anything. I'm surprised they don't have more recognition for the servers, but mostly the dacs.

For I2s cable, I'm an audioquest fan. They have a pure solid silver HDMI, called diamond. Its also available in 60 cm length. The shorter the better I believe with i2s. I'm quite happy with it, sound is perfectly balanced. I got 1m length, but 60cm also would work and will save you some $$.

topping all that off, just started powering my ubiquity edgerouter and etherregen with a paul hynes sr5 dual rail instead of ifi dc bricks. All i can say it was worth the 4 months wait! I can't really believe the sound that I'm getting right now, I doubt I'm touching my digital end for a very very long time. I might try at some point to source an amp which is matching my cube speakers even more (the tube LM845 amp i have right now is great, but it has some small amount of negative feedback which is not ideal). The cube speakers are quite sensitive to the specifications of amplification, and if curiosity gets me again, that's the only thing i might tinker with. Besides that, consider me retired ))

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #25 of 352
Hi Alex,

I just replied to you over Audiophile style but copying the reply here in case someone else had the same question and are only here on head fi, they would benefit too.

Glad you are enjoying the dac, its absolutely phenomenal. I have only heard the signature but I'm sure yours is very close.

For an i2s server, I have just heard the NET. However, the discovery I made after experimenting other outputs of the NET (usb and coax), also other servers within my friend's group, such as aurender n10 (my previous server), auralic g1, DCS network bridge, and a custom built server:
1)the NET literally walked all over those. Its better by a good margin on all aspects.
2)the NET strength is not the I2s. Its the NET itself! I2s is a slightly better, but i would recommend this server with any dac even if it doesn't have an i2s input. Any output on the NET would do, for real. honestly speaking, right now i feel its a better value than the dac. That's how awesome it is.

From chatting with Nucu, the wavelight server is very close to NET performance minus the CD memory player section. I would have bought a wavelight, but i just couldn't wait till its available. I have no CDs at all. Btw, both are both Roon core + end point in one device. Which is even better.

You wavedream dac will surprise you, how much better it would sound when coupled with NET or wavelight server (any dac in fact would). My suggestion, look no further, i firmly believe in this price segment, the rockna servers are superior and will crush anything. I'm surprised they don't have more recognition for the servers, but mostly the dacs.

For I2s cable, I'm an audioquest fan. They have a pure solid silver HDMI, called diamond. Its also available in 60 cm length. The shorter the better I believe with i2s. I'm quite happy with it, sound is perfectly balanced. I got 1m length, but 60cm also would work and will save you some $$.

topping all that off, just started powering my ubiquity edgerouter and etherregen with a paul hynes sr5 dual rail instead of ifi dc bricks. All i can say it was worth the 4 months wait! I can't really believe the sound that I'm getting right now, I doubt I'm touching my digital end for a very very long time. I might try at some point to source an amp which is matching my cube speakers even more (the tube LM845 amp i have right now is great, but it has some small amount of negative feedback which is not ideal). The cube speakers are quite sensitive to the specifications of amplification, and if curiosity gets me again, that's the only thing i might tinker with. Besides that, consider me retired ))

Awesome man - ya I've been replying to both forums - like you figure we get the word out. Rockna deserves the praise

That's great feedback - I will definitely be putting the Wavelight Server at the top of the list. Nucu said late autumn right now looks like the release date. I'll be sure to keep you posted

Aug 4, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #26 of 352
I wish Rockna was better known in the US.. ie, more used market :D
(also sold from a more well known distributor too.)

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 352

Why not get the wavelight server ?

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #28 of 352
Why not get the wavelight server ?

It's top of the list now. I think I'll tryout the Wavelight Server and the Musical Pristina and see which one takes the cake. In my head I was thinking the Rockna and MP units are same price, but Rockna has dealer markup so I'm getting better value with the MP but I think it would be foolish to dismiss Rockna based on how much I love the Wavedream DAC

Aug 13, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #29 of 352
Has anyone compared dcs bartok with rockna wavedream sig balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back