RockMelt (Beta)
Dec 12, 2010 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.rockmelt.com

Has anyone here received their invitation to download and install RockMelt Beta? I am using it now and mine is the latest version. I frequently check the About RockMelt feature to stay up to date and I visit the blog to see what they are doing to improve the web browsing experience.

One thing that I do not understand is that with Google Chromium 7 as its code base, why is it that my nVIDIA Geforce GT 325 M with nVIDIA Optimus not enabled when I view Adoble Flash or other multimedia content within the RockMelt Beta web browser? According to Google, hardware accelerated GPU is enabled with Google Chrome 7 and higher. I think it may be due to the fact that nVIDIA has not yet established an Optimus profile for web browsers other than Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox to enable the Geforce GT 325 M GPU to turn on when viewing multimedia content. I tried to research this by visiting the nVIDIA website and I downloaded the latest 64 bit update to the nVIDIA Optimus software for my ASUS N61JV-X2, but it did not seem to address the fact that my GPU remains turned off while viewing multimedia content in web browsers other than Internet Explorer and Firefox.

I really like RockMelt Beta. It is much more stable and it crashes rarely with the latest updates installed. The edges feature is the key ingredient that makes for organizing information much more efficiently. I am able to subscribe to RSS feeds and add applications to stay up to date with updates to my favorite web sites. Staying in touch with my Facebook friends is much easier with the Friends edge. I have done my part by sending out almost all of my invitations to my Facebook friends that I think may be interested in testing it.

The additional search box is superfluous as the omni box allows for searching just like in Google Chrome. I hope that the RockMelt development team will choose to do something else with that valuable piece of screen estate within their Beta web browser.

Some people will be uncomfortable surrendering their Facebook permissions to RockMelt and they may wonder what the company does with their privacy and data. The latest blog addresses those concerns to my satisfaction. It is worth reading even if you do not use RockMelt Beta just to see the current trends in how web browsers built for social media outlets handle user privacy and data (i.e., Flock has its own policy for privacy and data collection as well).

The downside with RockMelt Beta is that you have to put up with the bugs that are a normal part of the software development cycle and the complexity of the web browser design. New features are added based upon feedback from current users. It does take some time to learn how to use the web browser because it requires a total re-think of the modern web browser. The other major downside is the long list of permissions that you have to give RockMelt to integrate with Facebook. If you are uncomfortable with the requirement of having a Facebook account just to use RockMelt Beta, then I would suggest another web browser such as Mozilla Firefox.

Finally, it is not a seamless experience across different platforms. I own a Toshiba NB205-N310/BN-G netbook with Microsoft Windows XP Home SP-3. I installed RockMelt Beta on it and the invitations and additional applications buttons do not work on it. Both have the same exact version of RockMelt Beta installed, yet the one installed on my ASUS N61JV-X2 with Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit has no problems whatsoever. The concept of the cloud is compelling, but RockMelt needs to polish its code base to ensure a consistent experience across different platforms.

They may make another update available just before Christmas and New Year to stomp out additional bugs and improve stability and reliability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back