Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #766 of 1,205
So I listened for almost 4 hours last night, and I've been listening to these at work all morning.

I'm still not sure how I feel about them.  They definitely sound good - imaging and separation are great, and the soundstage is pretty awesome.  Still, there's something I can't put my finger on.  They're just not engaging me for some reason - maybe they're too analytical for my taste?

I'm going to listen all day and see how I feel later.  I've decided that if I can't get into these, I'll try the BA200s.  From what I've read, those also have great imaging, separation, and soundstage, but add a little warmth and sweetness, and that may be what I'm looking for that I'm not getting right now with the R-50s.

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #767 of 1,205
Quote:

Do you think adding a drop of super glue (or something of that nature) around that area where the cord exits the rubber covering would make it feel more secure?

I'm gonna try that, just not with superglue but some self-hardening liquid plastic for seals. That should work better. I found superglue to be hard to work with for other stuff than sticking two things together.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #769 of 1,205
Wrote up a (rather long) review of the R-50 on my site, Musical Musings.

Short version: I like them quite a bit (after giving them time to grow on me) but I can see how others might not. That prominent treble is no joke.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #770 of 1,205
I enjoyed the review, I gather when you mention "in your face" you were talking about the detailing, because the presentation is so light it's far from engaging. I think it should be noted R-50 are not a full sounding earphone and far from versatile in all genre's.

I can't get pop music to work well, some rock, I could not recommend them to people who want to play music at loud volumes and enjoy absorb energy or dynamics, they're more suited for lower volume listening. I can see how many people would give up on them in less than an hour. I don't think I could take R-50 outside and use it commuting, it's just to delicate sounding.

Relaxing however listening to some ambient or acoustic music is fine, for example I had a great session with them last night using my amped Hifiman HM-601, then this morning when I wanted to get some motivation with some pop music it sounded like a completely different earphone that was in capable, dull, flat, I still like them because I understand where they're coming from, but many others may not get the vibe and I think all the technical ability they get praised for constantly, doesn't explain exactly how this earphone sounds overall.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #771 of 1,205
Wrote up a (rather long) review of the R-50 on my site, Musical Musings.

Short version: I like them quite a bit (after giving them time to grow on me) but I can see how others might not. That prominent treble is no joke.

To me they are like my Ety ER4Ps: the R50s need foam plugs to help soften the highs a touch. But I didn't find any luck that fit me very well because of small length of the shaft. I couldn't get a good insertion.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #773 of 1,205
My R-50 are as far as a pair of IEMs can be from having piercing/harsh highs.  The R-50 highs is the part that I miss the most after a few days go by without using them.

I agree Alberto, mine do not have harsh highs, very polite in that area in my pair. I was wondering if there was a batch difference.

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #774 of 1,205
Quote:
Quote:
My R-50 are as far as a pair of IEMs can be from having piercing/harsh highs.  The R-50 highs is the part that I miss the most after a few days go by without using them.

I agree Alberto, mine do not have harsh highs, very polite in that area in my pair. I was wondering if there was a batch difference.

You can see more details on the highs description, here in my R-50 review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/435#post_8595847

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #775 of 1,205

I wouldn't describe the highs as "harsh," just a little too over-emphasized to me in reference to other frequencies, the "prominence" that TheGame21x mentioned. It's more likely that that the perceived difference is fit, insertion depth, and tips than some quality control issue.

And before someone thinks, "well, he just doesn't like headphones with strong highs," my go to headphones are SR225i. Which, BTW, have amazing detail; the R50s are kind of meh in comparison.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #776 of 1,205

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/435#post_8595847

Enjoyment rating 9.5 / 10! :cool: I guess it comes down to our different tolerance levels. I would class something like TF10 or H-100 treble slightly strident, treble on those can really wack you heavily if called upon, however R-50 I find rather polite / soft, it has a slight edge to it and that's the only thing I can hear that may concern some, to me it's very active and detailed but never overly bright. I agree on more decay needed too, Rather than Sh we need Sssh. EPH-100 had similar treble.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #777 of 1,205
I wouldn't describe the highs as "harsh," just a little too over-emphasized to me in reference to other frequencies, the "prominence" that TheGame21x mentioned. It's more likely that that the perceived difference is fit, insertion depth, and tips than some quality control issue.

And before someone thinks, "well, he just doesn't like headphones with strong highs," my go to headphones are SR225i. Which, BTW, have amazing detail; the R50s are kind of meh in comparison.

Yeah, harsh is probably the wrong word, it's certainly active, though I'd actually like a little more too. Touch soft for my tastes.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #778 of 1,205
Quote:
To me they are like my Ety ER4Ps: the R50s need foam plugs to help soften the highs a touch. But I didn't find any luck that fit me very well because of small length of the shaft. I couldn't get a good insertion.

Never tried the ER4Ps but I am thinking of getting some comply tips for the R-50s, perhaps the TX variant with the foam "wax guard" in the nozzle to tame the highs a bit. Otherwise, I like them quite a bit.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #779 of 1,205
Quote:
Quote:

Enjoyment rating 9.5 / 10!
cool.gif
I guess it comes down to our different tolerance levels. I would class something like TF10 or H-100 treble slightly strident, treble on those can really wack you heavily if called upon, however R-50 I find rather polite / soft, it has a slight edge to it and that's the only thing I can hear that may concern some, to me it's very active and detailed but never overly bright. I agree on more decay needed too, Rather than Sh we need Sssh. EPH-100 had similar treble.

My audio setup (desktop setup) is something special!  That helps a lot.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back