Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #751 of 1,205
I absolutely love it. They can be had brand new for only around $240 online. They sound just like a Rockit Sounds R50 or Vsonic GR01, only in an open full size form, which of course brings a bigger bolder sound. Same basic sound signature, but larger sound-stage and even better detail/resolution. If you love the R50, you should love the Q701 as well. Just be aware that the Q701 is a bit power hungry, so an iPod or laptop soundcard won't be enough to make them shine.  
Quote:
How do you like your Q701? I was thinking about snagging those if I found them at the right price.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #752 of 1,205
Just received my R-50s tonight - unfortunately the Comply P series tips I bought with them don't fit, so I'm stuck with the stock tips.  

So far, I don't really know how I feel about them - I don't want to jump to any conclusions too early, but I'm definitely not blown away.  I don't know, I'm sure I need more time with them.  I've listened to a few different songs off the following records:

Deftones - Koi No Yokan
Kings of Leon - Only By the Night
Periphery - Periphery II
Scale the Summit - The Collective
Muse - The 2nd Law

I'm going to keep at it and hope that they grow on me as I listen more and more.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #753 of 1,205
Quote:
Just received my R-50s tonight - unfortunately the Comply P series tips I bought with them don't fit, so I'm stuck with the stock tips.  

So far, I don't really know how I feel about them - I don't want to jump to any conclusions too early, but I'm definitely not blown away.  I don't know, I'm sure I need more time with them.  I've listened to a few different songs off the following records:

Deftones - Koi No Yokan
Kings of Leon - Only By the Night
Periphery - Periphery II
Scale the Summit - The Collective
Muse - The 2nd Law

I'm going to keep at it and hope that they grow on me as I listen more and more.

What are you not blown away by? You should be blown away by detail, imaging, and clarity. If you think they lack bass, they don't lack bass with a proper seal/fit, unless of course you are used to a big bloated bass. These are clear and accurate sounding, not bass heavy. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #754 of 1,205
Quote:

It did for me. It's all about your brain adjusting to its sound signature.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #755 of 1,205

Same thing happened to me, there should be a rule against anyone giving an impression for the first 24 hours. :p I was really shocked coming from my other IEM I'd been using for two months straight prior, came into the thread and almost blew it to pieces. :D It will take a little time to figure out R-50. Don't expect them to wow you straight up with a large full sound, it's rather petite.

And I still think my pair sounded terrible open box for the first 15 minutes, there was something not right because they don't sound like that initial listen anymore.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #756 of 1,205
First post, so hi everyone.  I am about to take the plunge and purchase my first pair of solid IEM's, but after days of lurking these threads I am still a bit at a standstill.  Everything I've read about the R-50's sounds great.  My only concern is the quality of the cord and headphone overall.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  For this reason, I have also been considering the EPH100.  I have never owned an over the ear set of buds, but as I am planning to use these primarily at the office while programming I don't think it should be too much of an issue... I think.  I've only owned the S4's and I thought those were great (but after 4 years they've finally decided to go to a better place).

I guess I am just looking for overall feel on the R-50s and if there is durability concern.  It seems like they are from a relatively young company... any concerns with customer service?  Thanks!

EDIT: I've never used an amp... but I'd be willing to give it a go as long as someone can give me a simple setup to use with the R-50s.  I plan to use my iPod nano and ideally I'd hope that my IEMs sound good without an amp.  And sorry in advance if I've said any no-no's that are making you all cringe.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #757 of 1,205
Quote:
First post, so hi everyone.  I am about to take the plunge and purchase my first pair of solid IEM's, but after days of lurking these threads I am still a bit at a standstill.  Everything I've read about the R-50's sounds great.  My only concern is the quality of the cord and headphone overall.  Is this something I should be concerned about?  For this reason, I have also been considering the EPH100.  I have never owned an over the ear set of buds, but as I am planning to use these primarily at the office while programming I don't think it should be too much of an issue... I think.  I've only owned the S4's and I thought those were great (but after 4 years they've finally decided to go to a better place).

I guess I am just looking for overall feel on the R-50s and if there is durability concern.  It seems like they are from a relatively young company... any concerns with customer service?  Thanks!

EDIT: I've never used an amp... but I'd be willing to give it a go as long as someone can give me a simple setup to use with the R-50s.  I plan to use my iPod nano and ideally I'd hope that my IEMs sound good without an amp.  And sorry in advance if I've said any no-no's that are making you all cringe.

If the S4's lasted you 4 years then these should last just as long or probably even longer. The S4 build quality is pretty weak. 

Also, these should sound fine out of an iPod nano. I use mine directly out of my iPhone 4 with no amp. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #758 of 1,205
Quote:

If the S4's lasted you 4 years then these should last just as long or probably even longer. The S4 build quality is pretty weak. 

Also, these should sound fine out of an iPod nano. I use mine directly out of my iPhone 4 with no amp. 

You know, it's funny because I beat the crap out of my S4's and they held together so well. At the same time I had a bunch of friends with newer S4s who babied theirs, and they had all kind of issues... I wonder if I got lucky or if they new S4s are just not as good?!

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #759 of 1,205
Quote:
What are you not blown away by? You should be blown away by detail, imaging, and clarity. If you think they lack bass, they don't lack bass with a proper seal/fit, unless of course you are used to a big bloated bass. These are clear and accurate sounding, not bass heavy. 

When I said I wasn't blown away, I wasn't necessarily referring to the bass.  I was sort of hoping that when I put them on for the first time and pressed play, I'd be like "holy crap."  That didn't happen, but again, I will keep listening.

Quote:

It did for me. It's all about your brain adjusting to its sound signature.

Glad to hear they grew on you.  The signature of these is wildly different than my previous headphones (Klipsch S4), so I'm trying to keep that in mind as I listen.

Quote:
Same thing happened to me, there should be a rule against anyone giving an impression for the first 24 hours.
tongue.gif
I was really shocked coming from my other IEM I'd been using for two months straight prior, came into the thread and almost blew it pieces.
biggrin.gif
It will take a little time to figure out R-50. Don't expect them to wow you straight up with a large full sound, it's rather petite.

And I still think my pair sounded terrible open box for the first 15 minutes, there was something not right because they don't sound like that initial listen anymore.

Ha, I know, I debated on posting until later, but I decided to just post my initial, out-of-the-box thoughts.  To your point, I'm hoping that it's just an adjustment period since my last headphones were such a different sound.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #760 of 1,205
I've heard of more issues with the EPH-100 than with the R50. 

Coming from the S4's, the R50's will have substantially less bass quantity. As long are you are aware of that, and plan to get used to a more accurate sound than the R50 is a good choice. The R50 will have less bass, much better mids, and much smoother, more even, and more extended treble. I found the S4 to be very bassy, lack mid-range, and have a nasty treble peak that can sound very metallic. The best thing about the S4 was their comfort, they weigh nothing and the slightly oval tips felt like nothing was in your ears. 

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #761 of 1,205
They impressed me right away. Of course, I knew what to expect. They sounded exactly like I was hoping and expecting. 
Quote:

When I said I wasn't blown away, I wasn't necessarily referring to the bass.  I was sort of hoping that when I put them on for the first time and pressed play, I'd be like "holy crap."  That didn't happen, but again, I will keep listening.

Read my earlier post referring to the S4's. Trust me, these are waaaaaay better than the S4. If you can get used to the lessened bass quantity, and overall flatter sound, then these will be perfect. There really isn't anything the R50 or GR01 does wrong. They are as good as it gets for $120. The hf series Etymotics would probably be the closest thing in this price range.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #762 of 1,205
Ok, so sounds like if I want to spend around 100 - 120 these are the best bang for the buck.  Let me ask this then... what would be the best If I did like a little stronger bass (same price range).  Follow up question - would the Vsonic GR06 be the next logical step down?  Assuming that I wanted to hold off on purchasing a $100+ pair of IEMs.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #763 of 1,205
Quote:
They impressed me right away. Of course, I knew what to expect. They sounded exactly like I was hoping and expecting. 

Read my earlier post referring to the S4's. Trust me, these are waaaaaay better than the S4. If you can get used to the lessened bass quantity, and overall flatter sound, then these will be perfect. There really isn't anything the R50 or GR01 does wrong. They are as good as it gets for $120. The hf series Etymotics would probably be the closest thing in this price range.

I agree with what you're saying about the S4.  They are very bassy, the mids are just decent, and the highs are metallic and fatiguing.

When I decided to purchase these, I was debating between the R-50s, the HifiMan RE262s, and the TDK BA200s.  If after a few days I really just can't get down on these R-50s, I can always try one of the others.

I'm listening to Hans Zimmer as I type this, and I'm digging it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #764 of 1,205
Give them a few hours, at least a couple dozen hours, not for any break-in, but just for you to try to get used to them. 
Quote:

I agree with what you're saying about the S4.  They are very bassy, the mids are just decent, and the highs are metallic and fatiguing.

When I decided to purchase these, I was debating between the R-50s, the HifiMan RE262s, and the TDK BA200s.  If after a few days I really just can't get down on these R-50s, I can always try one of the others.

I'm listening to Hans Zimmer as I type this, and I'm digging it.

I know nothing about the GR06, but these sound like a real steal: http://www.head-fi.org/t/632892/review-sony-mh1-the-best-kept-secret .
Quote:
Ok, so sounds like if I want to spend around 100 - 120 these are the best bang for the buck.  Let me ask this then... what would be the best If I did like a little stronger bass (same price range).  Follow up question - would the Vsonic GR06 be the next logical step down?  Assuming that I wanted to hold off on purchasing a $100+ pair of IEMs.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #765 of 1,205
Quote:

Maybe look at a dynamic phone (rather than BA) such as the JVC fxt90 which can be had for $100 on eBay (plus $20 for int'l shipping from Japan).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back