Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #691 of 1,205
Quote:
Easy the grey Etymotic triple-flange tips are by far the best.

Heres a link where you get 10 sets, http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER38-18-3-Flange-Replacement/dp/B006WT2AD8/ref=pd_sim_e_2

Yeah, I've heard good things about these too - they will fit the R-50s?  Also, are they all one size?  I know some of the others come in multipacks with different sizes.

Quote:
If you like an IEM that's more on the brighter side yet still quite smooth over all the R-50 is perfect and if your wanting a warmer sound that's even smoother than the BA200 is the way to go.  No matter which one you get both are an outstanding value and have top-tier sound quality.

Yeah, it sounds like I can't really go wrong either way.  Keep in mind I'm coming from a Klipsch S4, so it should be a solid upgrade regardless.  I'm just really looking to get away from the fatigue that the S4's bring, and get a better soundstage and instrument separation.  Sounds like both the BA200 and R-50 will do the job.  I just don't think I'm crazy about the flat, short cable of the BA200, or the huge splitter.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #692 of 1,205
The grey tips are the larger ones but they're not huge and that's the ones most people use on the R-50 and yes the fit.

If you really don't think you'll like the cable on the BA200 get the R-50, I can promise you the highs are much much more controlled than one the S4 (the S4 was my first IEM upgrade) and not harsh either.  The R-50 sounds good with all types of music and is actually quite forgiving with poor audio quality like lower bit rate MP3.

Also you might want to checkout the X10, they're a very nice IEM as well.  Warm with great bass impact and depth, smooth mids and highs that are quite detailed though they might not have the same micro detail of the R-50.  They sound nothing like the S4 and blow them away in SQ.  Not trying to make your decision harder or anything just one other option to look into maybe.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #693 of 1,205
Quote:
The grey tips are the larger ones but they're not huge and that's the ones most people use on the R-50 and yes the fit.

If you really don't think you'll like the cable on the BA200 get the R-50, I can promise you the highs are much much more controlled than one the S4 (the S4 was my first IEM upgrade) and not harsh either.  The R-50 sounds good with all types of music and is actually quite forgiving with poor audio quality like lower bit rate MP3.

Also you might want to checkout the X10, they're a very nice IEM as well.  Warm with great bass impact and depth, smooth mids and highs that are quite detailed though they might not have the same micro detail of the R-50.  They sound nothing like the S4 and blow them away in SQ.  Not trying to make your decision harder or anything just one other option to look into maybe.

I appreciate the suggestions.  I did look at the X10 briefly, but as you said, the R-50's sound like they'll be more detailed - since I listen to a lot of rock and metal (and I'm a drummer), I want to hear those finer details in the drums, etc.

I plan on pulling the trigger on these today or tomorrow, and I'll probably order replacement tips at the same time - I can't wait to get them.  Worst case, if I really don't like the R-50s, I can return them and order the BA200s.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #694 of 1,205
I think you'll like the R-50 a lot especially if these are your first pair of a really good sounding IEM.  My first pair was the the PFE 112 and it was amazing going from the S4 to those, like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Porsche 911.  The detail blew my away and hearing songs that you've listened to a lot then hearing them with a good IEM is really cool for the first time, you hear little things you didn't even know was in the song.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #695 of 1,205
Long time browser of this forum but fist post here. I have to say I was very skeptical about the Rockit Sounds R-50. I have messed around with crappy $100 headphones for a very long time now. I was just about to get ready to finally drop $300+ on some decent iems because I was so fed up with the terrible sound I was getting from everything I tried and my friends were starting to think I had a problem because I would have a new pair every week, haha. I am nowhere near being able to differentiate the difference between headphones or talk about balance or sound stage (at least with headphones) or anything most audiophiles like to talk about in the headphone world. I just like what I like and that is a slightly bright and linear sound. I have never been able to justify spending lots of money on iems or headphones because I have spent so much money on my car and home systems that I just couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars on headphones as well. I have spent well over 10k on my Fj Cruiser focal system and even more than that on my B&W system at home 
confused_face.gif
. I started on page 1 on this thread and read every one of the almost 700 posts made just waiting for someone to say something bad about the R-50's sound. When I finally got to the end I said screw it I might as well do it, its only a few bucks more than I normally spend on iems that I will not like and give away anyways. Well I have been listening for about 35 minutes now and I am absolutely shocked with what I am hearing so far. Lets be honest, its not the same as my truck or home system but it has the same linear amazing sound that I have come to love and expect from my other systems. The biggest concern I had was bass, everyone kept warning to not expect much bass from these. I don't know how much more bass anyone would want, if there was much more it would just be taking away from the rest of the sound (my opinion of course). The highs and mids are mind blowing though. I can only say they are a little analytical for me and I will probably need to find a way to add a little warmth with amping. As far as I know balanced armature iems need no break in so the sound I am hearing is what I will have for the life of these so I am really happy with that. I can tell that these will probably need a dac and amp because my current signal from my note 2 is pretty bad and I am sure that will make them sound much better as well. Anyone have any recommendations for a dac/amp desktop setup that will work with a samsung galaxy note 2 through usb? I want something that will add as little color as possible, the more natural the better (okay maybe just a touch of warmth, haha). I will be getting the ELE hi fi dac for $20 from ebay that I hear is by far the best bang for the buck but then I will be moving to something a little nicer in the next couple of months. Thanks a lot Techno Kid, I am in sonic heaven right now!!!

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #696 of 1,205
Guitars are what I am amazed most about with the R-50s. You can hear absolutely every strum and pluck and sound it makes, I love it (possibly even better than my B&W 803s? Nah but its close)

Edit: add vocals to that as well, not quite as good as the guitar but still great.

Edit again: I do not like Audioslave anymore, at least not with these iems. I like bright instruments but not voices and Chris Cornell's voice becomes almost shrill with these. Ouch

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #697 of 1,205
I can tell that these will probably need a dac and amp because my current signal from my note 2 is pretty bad and I am sure that will make them sound much better as well.

Have you tried rooting your phone and then using the headphone amp gain mod? I used the Normal Volume Mod config file, and it did seem to help with my Note 2 (using Poweramp for the source).

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #698 of 1,205
Just reporting back in after 24 hours with my R-50 and my opinion has changed dramatically.

I've spend all night with R-50 and I'm really enjoying the sound of this IEM, it took a little while adjusting I still think something was a miss for the first 15 minutes besides me converting because the sound that comes from these R-50 now is one I'm overly satisfied with. They work especially well with my ambient dubstep and rock tracks, the staging is one of the best I have heard with 3D style depth / superior imaging over most other IEM's I have tried. The stage has good width and I do personally think R-50 are advanced from a technical perspective over T-Peos H-100, this shows in the staging, and micro detailing to name a few area's. I haven't really heard 3D stage like this before, possibly EPH-100 though not to these extents. Bass is tight and punchy not lacking at all imo just the right amount of impact for me.

I'm still adjusting to the warmth and it's only been 24 hours but so far we've settled in together nicely, I'm having particularly good synergy amping with my C&C BH portable amp and to compensate for warmth (which is just my tastes) I'm using my coldest source Colorfly CK4+. Up to now I'm rather impressed and in my opinion the tonality kind of resembles GR07 MK2, there is some similarity, however with awesome depth and imaging to go.

I'll be hanging around over coming weeks to speak how I'm feeling, but so far at $119 these are a steal IMO. If only I had of known about these before I tried stuff like EPH-100 GR07 MK2 and EX600 they would of by far grown to be my favourite IEM. I think with some more time and adjusting these will be a real winner.

Nice find to Techno Kid who discovered these. :smile:

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #699 of 1,205
Quote:
Have you tried rooting your phone and then using the headphone amp gain mod? I used the Normal Volume Mod config file, and it did seem to help with my Note 2 (using Poweramp for the source).

I just got the phone 2 weeks ago so I am not ready to root it just yet. I did it to my fascinate and liked all the additional options but I just got the phone and for now it works how I like it. I'm not worried about making it louder because its plenty loud for me the way it is I am just looking to clean up the signal a little bit.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #700 of 1,205
Got mine today.  I guess I've been listening to my Grado SR-80's exclusively for too long.  I don't think I can ever get used to this sibilance.  Suddenly there's an " S " sound in the vocals and it goes to 11, momentarily wiping out everything else going on sonically in the track.

I do however, like the simultaneous detail and warmth with string instruments and some vocals, easily competing with the SR-80 in that regard. But the very high end is straight up harsh to my ears, whether it be symbols or electronic sounds.

The grey Etymotic triple flanges seem to make the sibilance less noticeable to me, but strangely, although I am 6'7 they are too small for me and it seems I must order the "small" size.

On top of buying a pair of headphones that probably aren't right for me, today I found out I have freakishly small earholes.

It's almost like some part of my R-50's involved in producing or delivering the very high end frequencies is malfunctioning.

Due to the way the R-50's are tuned, or at least my pair, they are the world champion at giving volume to white noise from mics.  I thought the SR-80's were great at that, but I'm hearing pronounced static in the silent parts of certain tracks where I barely knew it existed if at all.  That's cool I guess.  I like hearing things I haven't heard before, and it's typically a hallmark of a great set of headphones.  But I think these aren't tuned right for my particular ears and brain, or perhaps there's something wrong with them (or me).

I'm hoping they just need some breaking in or that I can get used to them.  I'm not even going to bother trying to return something to a small company in Hong Kong that I purchased through Pay Pal.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #701 of 1,205
I'm having a little sibilance on some tracks, it's rather source dependant though, my Hifiman HM-601 deflects sibilance with ease so it's a non issue with that DAP, if it does occur for me it's a very brief amount for my standards that rolls off before it's begun, I don't think any amount of break in will stop the BA driver from doing this. If you think these are sibilant try GR07 one time. :wink: I'm used to TF10 treble and H-100 which are a little strident at times so the R-50 high end is easy on the ears. I actually want more treble lol.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #702 of 1,205
The only time I had sibilance was from the recording not being great, it happens with some older recordings the most but all the stuff that's been mastered correctly sound good.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #703 of 1,205
Quote:
Easy the grey Etymotic triple-flange tips are by far the best.

Heres a link where you get 10 sets, http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER38-18-3-Flange-Replacement/dp/B006WT2AD8/ref=pd_sim_e_2

how about for peeps who cant bear the triples? are they as good when cut down to double? of do you recommend any other alternatives?

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #704 of 1,205
The only time I had sibilance was from the recording not being great, it happens with some older recordings the most but all the stuff that's been mastered correctly sound good.

I have one or two tracks and will run some tests, actually I'll do it now...

This track in FLAC and use it often for sibilance tests. Has a lot of Sssh and Tttt in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0FU64i7aoQ

There's a little present, however where as other IEM's will present a Sssshh. R-50 is more like a quick "Ss"

See, this track is riddled with sibilance and can be a nightmare, so how the R-50 handle it is what counts.

I've heard better but I've heard a lot worse and it's not annoying issue for me personally.

Test was run using Colorfly C3 straight from the headphone out.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #705 of 1,205
Quote:
I have one or two tracks and will run some tests, actually I'll do it now...

This track in FLAC and use it often for sibilance tests. Has a lot of Sssh and Tttt in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0FU64i7aoQ

There's a little present, however where as other IEM's will present a Sssshh. R-50 is more like a quick "Ss"

See, this track is riddled with sibilance and can be a nightmare, so how the R-50 handle it is what counts.

I've heard better but I've heard a lot worse and it's not annoying issue for me personally.

Test was run using Colorfly C3 straight from the headphone out.

Just so I know what you guys are saying with sibilance, would this be considered sibilance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTv7ZQWJQvI 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back