Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
May 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #1,006 of 1,205
Quote:

just cut the memory wire (just make two snips at the top and pull - the plastic tears) and get some ety tri-flanges cut down to doubles for comfort.
then these become as comfy as any westones imo.
same quality for the same price? hard imo, but ive heard good things about the eph-100 (havent heard).
the eq5, which i owned for a while is another great, but not so good in comfort.

yeah, I cut them off with no problems. helped quite a bit for the fit. however, I'm still having problems with the stock tips. they keep slipping out of the ear and thus prevent me from getting a good, permanent fit. can we perhaps compile a list of compatible tips for the R50's?

the etymotic triple-flanges seem to fit the nozzle which is a little wider than 3mm according to my measurements.

thanks.

May 18, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #1,007 of 1,205
Quote:
Hey Inks, do you have a FR graph for the R-50?  If you do, I would like to know what you think of them just by looking at the graph.

Here

This IEM is amazing in the fact that it has so much potential to be heard in many different ways. It does seem to be sibilant and bass would be lacking a bit as it's lacking decay. A configuration that will seem to be best which I will hope to try sometime is 

Shallow insertion+T130 tips+grey knowles dampers+33ohm impedance. 

This should make it smoother and a bit more beefier on the low end. 

Inks, I thank you very much for the FR graph!  If I read right, in the analysis it is written that there is a peak around 5 kHz and another one around 10 kHz.  Peaks around 5 kHz are not good, because they make the treble harsh and fatiguing (cheap).  The 10 kHz treble is sweet treble.  A peak in that area will give you more of the sweet treble, which for me could be desirable. 

With my setup, my R-50 do not sound like they have a significant frequency peak anywhere between 3 and 5 kHz.  Treble is smooth and sweet.  I only hear harsh treble when the recording has it.  Even then, it can be tamed down with equalization adjustments.

You can see my setup and my review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/435#post_8595847

May 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #1,008 of 1,205
yeah, I cut them off with no problems. helped quite a bit for the fit. however, I'm still having problems with the stock tips. they keep slipping out of the ear and thus prevent me from getting a good, permanent fit. can we perhaps compile a list of compatible tips for the R50's?  
the etymotic triple-flanges seem to fit the nozzle which is a little wider than 3mm according to my measurements.

thanks.

The R-50 have a smaller diameter nozzle than what is normal for IEMs.  A tip with a normal nozzle will fit loosely on the R-50.  To fix that you can make a filler to make the nozzle diameter bigger by cutting the cylindrical part (the tuby part that fits around the nozzle) of a stock tip while it is on the nozzle.  It is done this way:

Put a stock tip on the R-50 of a size that you don't use.  Then, pull the rubber backwards exposing the nozzle.  In that position, cut all the rubber from the tip that is not in contact with the nozzle.  If you make a precise cut, you will get a wider nozzle where you can tightly fit tips that would otherwise fit loosely on the R-50. 

May 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #1,009 of 1,205
Now THAT is a good idea :)

Just worried about modding this about, voiding warranty and all that jazz. I'm also annoyed at having to pay $25 to ship them back if I want a "repair", they don't really mention replacement...

May 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #1,012 of 1,205
Hahaha! :) They are now very comfortable, just the memory wire to go. Either gonna cut it off, shorten it, or leave it be to see if it improves. Out of interest, what's the sound like on the X10i's compared to these R50's?

May 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,013 of 1,205
Quote:
Hahaha! :) They are now very comfortable, just the memory wire to go. Either gonna cut it off, shorten it, or leave it be to see if it improves. Out of interest, what's the sound like on the X10i's compared to these R50's?

The memory wires on my R-50 behave just like yours.  They do not stay behind my ears.  I end up looking like I am wearing an stethoscope.  So, I ended up wearing them straight down with the right channel on the left ear and the left channel on the right ear, because of ergonomics.

May 21, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #1,014 of 1,205
STETHOSCOPE! That's what it reminded me of, I was trying to pinpoint that for ages!

Interesting idea regarding switching the ears and wearing straight, though I'm wondering if doing that means they poke out a little bit more? Due to the actual shape and curvature of the earphones themselves. Mind you, it would be SO much easier to wear though if not :) And easier to show off, I occasionally brag to some people about the SQ of these babies, and they can't even get them in their ears to be blown away :')

May 21, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #1,015 of 1,205
Quote:
STETHOSCOPE! That's what it reminded me of, I was trying to pinpoint that for ages!

Interesting idea regarding switching the ears and wearing straight, though I'm wondering if doing that means they poke out a little bit more? Due to the actual shape and curvature of the earphones themselves. Mind you, it would be SO much easier to wear though if not :) And easier to show off, I occasionally brag to some people about the SQ of these babies, and they can't even get them in their ears to be blown away :')

That is exactly the reason why I wear them switching sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back