RockinOut -- SS EB01 and bit-perfect ?
Sep 29, 2006 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bstan

New Head-Fier
RockinOut,

I notice in your thread responses you always list this phrase:

"Silverstone EB01 is $100. From what I've read doesn't "need" amp as volume is adjusted from software. Not bit-perfect, but still better than factory sound."

I'm trying to understand how the EB01 works.

Can you explain what do you mean when you say "Not bit-perfect" ?

Are you saying I can't use an ASIO driver or kernal streaming to bypass Microsoft's kmixer (44.1mHz resampler to 48kHz) with usb as the target destination ?

I thought I could just send a bit-perfect file (non-resampled 44.1kHz file ) to the usb port and have the EB01 DAC convert it to analog. Am I mistaken ?

Sep 30, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 5
I like DACs. They make nice upgrades to a lot of onboard sound computer rigs.

From what i know, usually an amp is needed with a DAC, but with the EB01 the volume can be adjusted with the software: iTunes, foobar, or the windows volume slider. Maybe this is the case with all DACs, I'm not sure.

Here's some connection info for EB01:
http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHard...EB01_pg2.shtml

Everyone's different: some like DAC's other don't.

Computer sofware -> DAC -> AMP -> Earphones

Bit-perfect just has to do with the computer -> DAC part and has to do with the operating system, drivers, and audio software you use. You don't need to have it to have lots of improvements over factory sound, though it's nice to plan it ahead of time in your rig-building.

There's a lot of threads on bit perfect, DACs, EB01. Just search and you'll get a lot of info. Then you can apply it to your needs and tastes and budget.

Here's a link if you haven't already seen it:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=lapfi

Sorry about the incomplete reply.

It's frustrating helping out newbies nowadays on head-fi, because nothing is stickied anymore, so all the great information and posts and reviews and walk-throughs and recommendations just gets lost in cyberspace, and it's impossible for newbies to search because they don't know what to search for.

I only responded here 'cause it was a post with my username in the title.

Just use the formula:

Computer sofware -> DAC -> AMP -> Earphones

Plan one part at a time in building your rig. You can buy one at a time and upgrade as needed or you can plan the whole thing out in advance. Planning, learning, and researching is part of the fun though it can be frustrating at times.

There's so many options and flavors. It's bewildering. I wish there were more FAQs and stickies so you wouldn't have to search so hard for the so many great contributions of past and present Head-Fiers.

Have fun.

Sep 30, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 5
Rockin,

Thanks for your reply.

What I was specifically asking was some more detail on why you think the EB01 can't do bit-perfect as you state in many of the threads I have searched this afternoon.

I understand DACs, and PCs, and the OS.

I'm using linux running MythTV on multiple PCs over ethernet and planning to route 44.1kHz audio files out the usb port to a DAC and then to a stereo preamp > amp > tower speakers.

I was doing research on the Silverstone EB01 and thought maybe you new specifically why it couldn't do 44.1kHz bit perfect. I was trying to find out as much as I can.

I'm now guessing it can and it seems from my research here that others think so as well.

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm not an expert on this, just trying to lead you in the right way:

It's not an issue of the EB01.

It's an issue of USB outputting bit-perfect and also an issue of the media software being able to output bit-perfect to the USB via the O/S, drivers, and hardware.

From what I know factory windows USB drivers used with most music software is not bit-perfect. I'm not sure.

When I used my MicroDac via USB on my Dell XP, it sounded a bit dull compared to my bit perfect optical stream using my AirPort Express. This is just using Foobar and iTunes and no extra drivers or anything.

I had read a cool post by Elephas regarding USB-ASIO driver and how he compared it to bit-perfect with ASIO/Foobar and iTunes/AirPort Express.

Elephas was right USB-ASIO sounds really nice to my ears, but it's pricey around $20-40. They have a trial version you can try, but it beeps every few seconds.

Search to see if you can find that post. It's really hidden. I remember it took me a while to find it. Here I found it:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...sb+asio+itunes

Here's other threads I found for you:

I had inquired about how and why USB-ASIO sounded so nice, but no one ever responded so I just dropped the issue. I believe it's just a driver for USB on Windows XP.

There's lots of info. Search with "USB" "ASIO"

Here's link:
http://www.usb-audio.com/

You may want to start a new thread. I'm sure there are many other knowledgeable people who are more than willing to lead you in the right way with rock solid information. I'm totally unfamiliar with XP ASIO and KMIXER issues.

With my XP, I just use my AirPort Express w/ iTunes, and I know I'm getting a bit-perfect stream to the MicroDAC without any ground loop/power noises.

With my iBook, the USB sounds quite nice with a 0.5% bit of noise that I can't usually hear anyway.

Again this is with my rig, my equipment, my earphones, and my ears.

USB also has issues with noise, specifically ground loop noises. It depends on each persons rig. I and other Head-Fiers have assisted a few people in implementing USB DAC's and reducing their ground loop noises that they were having problems with.

This is where the whole issue of USB vs. optical comes in also. That's a whole separate issue altogether.

Bit-perfect isn't everything in my opinion. Many Head-Fiers like using software upsampling fed to DAC's that can handle it. Some don't. I'll try one day and see myself.

I don't have all the answers. Just like helping out, 'cause my rig gives me so much pleasure and it's nice to share for others looking for the same.

Sep 30, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Silly me, just realized you're using Linux.

I'm totally clueless with Linux.

If others say it works and you think it will, then jump in and try it. Like I said I'm no expert, just trying to help out.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back