Rockhopper Portable Pimeta - first impressions
Feb 11, 2006 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hciman77

Headphoneus Supremus
I am a burn-in skeptic but I should mention that this is fresh out of the USPS Priority mail box.

Looks very nicely made the board is laid out neatly and connections look very professional, the volume control with the 2 rubber rings is so cute, input and output jacks (mini) seem solid and noise free.

Source: Panasonic SLCT570 (line out)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD580
Amp: Rockhopper Portable Pimeta (AD8620)

Normal disclaimers apply

The SLCT570 has a legendarily weak output in the line out, it is either 0.5V or 0.75V. No matter, the Pimeta has plenty of power to drive the 580s. On Mine the min on the volume control is 7.30-8 and listening volume is comfortable at 10 and begins to be loud at 11, 12 is too loud but shows no signs of distorting.

How does it sound. It sounds great, nothing leaps out and grabs your attention, bass is controlled and not one-notey, vocals are nicely presented, cymbals are crisp when thay are crisp on the source materials, nothing dominates the sound - Handel sounds like I think Handel should sound and Mott the Hoople sounds like Mott the Hoople should sound.

I guess I would call it even handed. I am not reaching for the skip button, which is a good sign. The bottom line is that this combination sounds very good. Worth the $100 I paid - yep to me it was.

So how does it play with the picky AKG K501s ?

Okay first we up the volume a smidge, then we pop on Eine Kleine NachtmusiK. Well I have to say I am pleasantly surprised, the sound is sharp but not shrill and if I listen carefully I can detect that there is a double-bass present, okay he seems like he is in the next room, but that is nothing new with these headphones
biggrin.gif
oh wait he has just moved in with the rest of the band. With the proviso that these are early impressions I am very pleased with this little baby. It Rocks and it Hops and it Hops Rocks.

Next week I will A/B it with the PA2V2.

Feb 11, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 3
I really like the Pimeta/K501 combo... much better than Go-Vibe + K501, particularly the bass. Too bad yours is a single-9v amp, as there's something particularly synergistic about the K501s with a dual OPA627 in the Pimeta rather than AD8620. 9v is not enough though.

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I really like the Pimeta/K501 combo... much better than Go-Vibe + K501, particularly the bass. Too bad yours is a single-9v amp, as there's something particularly synergistic about the K501s with a dual OPA627 in the Pimeta rather than AD8620. 9v is not enough though.

One of these days (when I can justify having yet another amp) I mean to try something with some of the better BB chips, as it is, when I unpacked the Pimeta the missus started laughing uncontrollably (in a nice way) which got me to thinking that maybe I should throttle back for now
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back