Rockhopper Beta 22 VS B52 design
Jan 11, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 18
From Ray Samuels himself regarding the B22: "It doesn't sound solid-state, it sounds like music... takes you so close... doesn't get any better than this."

Why argue with the man? :p

The B22 is cheaper, even the balanced version with all the bells and whistles.

Still, loads of cash any of them, so you may want to go to a meeting and hear both, you may like the B-52 signature better, both are in the top, comes down to personal preference if money is no issue.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 18
Which "other B52 versions"? Hmmm

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 18
If you are thinking of buying either, I would say go to a meet and listen to both. $400 for a plane ticket to get to a meet is nothing compared to the 1500+ for the beta and 4000 for the b52

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are thinking of buying either, I would say go to a meet and listen to both. $400 for a plane ticket to get to a meet is nothing compared to the 1500+ for the beta and 4000 for the b52

The B52 is actually $5350
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 18
To add an observation, I've owned both commercial (RSA, Headamp, Headroom) and DIY amps (PPA, B22) and the DIY designs to my ears are sonically the equal, or even surpass imho the commercial amps depending on your system synergy.

Note that 'DIY' doesn't mean the circuit and topology of these amps is amateur (something I used to think once upon a time). They contain boards and parts on par with the best commercial offerings. Also note that Rockhopper Audio is one of several builders (in my opinion, a very good one) who produce the B22 as a completed amp - check around and you'll find more.

Let your ears decide if possible; I personally auditioned or acquired a number of amps based on my own curiosity and setup, and come to the conclusion that going the DIY route has so far been an unbeatable return for what you're spending.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and people bitch about a headphone costing $1400 ...

...probably not those who own or thinking about buying a B52 though.

Jan 12, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 18
I owned both amps at the same time, though I recently sold off the B22 before my trip abroad.

They are both very different amps when it comes down to the sound signature. The B22 is ruthlessly revealing, transparent and the pinnacle of solid state amplification in my mind. It will bring you up close and personal to all your music. It tricked my mind into analyzing every piece of music that I played through it.

I enjoyed it sometimes, while other times I found myself being overly critical of the music recording quality as opposed to just enjoying the piece. Anyhow, I let it move on with a heavy heart to someone who could truly treasure its qualities.

The B52 tube lushness remains in the system and life goes on. The tube rolling options are very enjoyable and the system is well matched to my listening preferences for now.

In the end, I say go and listen to these amps if you get a chance. Forget the technology mumbo jumbo and just focus on the listening pleasure being conveyed through your ears.

It's like being in love...you either are or you are not. There is no in between. I most definitely am.

My interpretation of love

redface.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaizada /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyhow, I let it move on with a heavy heart to someone who could truly treasure its qualities.

...and that someone is enjoying the hell out of it each and every day.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back