Rockboxxed Ipod
Mar 30, 2009 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

tkl.hui

Head-Fier
Hey there,

I just recently got myself a used Ipod 5g 80gb. I installed rockbox on it as most of my rips are in FLAC. I have a couple of questions about rockbox that I couldn't really find answers to.

1. Is rockbox supposed to be somewhat sluggish? I find it kind of slow on shutdown, startup, browsing my music etc. Sometime when playing songs, I want to browse the rest of the songs in the album so I press the select button which should work, but it doesn't. I end up having to press the menu button and go through the database again and find the album.

2. Is about 12hrs of battery life normal for flac playback?

3. Is it normal for it to freeze at times? I've had it happen while trying out one of the games, and once while listening to a song.

4. Everytime I plug it in to add new files or to charge it up, it starts into the apple firmware and stays on that firmware even after unplugging it. This means I have to reset it everytime. Is there a way to have it only use the rockbox firmware?

Sorry if these are nooby questions but I couldn't really find answers.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 15
1. Yes it happens
2. 12 hrs is good enough already
3. Hmmm not really. I find it very stable. It can be sluggish but it doesn't freeze.
4. Rockbox should be the default OS when you've installed it
smily_headphones1.gif

5. Reinstalling should not wipe your hard drive, unless of course you reformat the ipod yourself.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the help guys. I reinstalled it and it seems fine now. I am really loving it. Love the flac support. Thanks again.

Edit: It seems another problem has come up. There are certain songs that will not play when i try to access them from the database, but they do play when I go from the file menu and play it. Kind of weird.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 15
The Rockbox OS is stored on the hard drive, and not in flash memory like the apple firmware is. This is how my X5L is set up. There is a performance hit, but the functionality you get is so worth it.

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rockbox OS is stored on the hard drive, and not in flash memory like the apple firmware is. This is how my X5L is set up. There is a performance hit, but the functionality you get is so worth it.

Rockbox runs off your HDD, it just throws a kind of break into the apple firmware boot process that points it to the rockbox firmware. 12 hours is pretty good they have really improved the battery life recently.

It is normal for your ipod to go into the apple firmware when you plug it in. If you just unplug it from the pc it will be stuck and you will have to reset it to get back into rockbox, but if you do a "safe eject" in XP or whatever it will reset as soon as it is disconnected. My mini does this and I run the daily builds that I compile.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkl.hui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: It seems another problem has come up. There are certain songs that will not play when i try to access them from the database, but they do play when I go from the file menu and play it. Kind of weird.

Maybe some kind of tagging problem?

h

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe some kind of tagging problem?

h

I seem to have fixed that problem by manually updating the database.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 15
When you have your iPod synched to iTunes, uncheck the box that says "launch iTunes when this iPod is connected" (not an exact quote, but like that). iTunes is hijacking and resetting your iPod every time your computer sees it. This will stop it. You can still launch iTunes and synch manually when you want to.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 15
You could try speeding it up by enabling the cach option in the disk section of settings.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 15
I have an 80gb 5.5G iPod Video that I installed Rockbox on as well. I had a pre-3.0 version, 3.0, and 3.1. Here are my answers to your questions, and these are all my own experiences, not absolutes...

1. Sometimes, actually usually. On good days it'd be very zippy and nearly as fast as the stock firmware. On the bad days (more often than not) the database would barely load and most of the music would not even play.

2. I only got about 6 hours out of mine, about 2 days of casual use.

3. Yes, pausing freezes it very often, as does picking a new song or opening the database.

4. I don't know, my iPod actually automatically switches to Rockbox firmware even if I'm in stock firmware when plugging it into my Mac, which I guess is the opposite.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 15
Okay i solved the number 4.

4. It seems when I have hold on and plug it in it boots into apple firmware, but when hold is off, it boots into rockbox when plugged in.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkl.hui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay i solved the number 4.

4. It seems when I have hold on and plug it in it boots into apple firmware, but when hold is off, it boots into rockbox when plugged in.
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.

Okay my hold button doesn't work so that's probably why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back