Rockboxed imod SQ
May 8, 2011 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
Is it me or does imod sound way better without the rockbox?  I assume its better because the software is done by Apple on Apple hardware.  To me, Ihear a difference and Rockbox doesn't sound so great.

May 23, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 6
I have similar experience. Even after disabling all the sonic enhancements that Rockbox provides, I find myself going back to the original iPod software. Using ALAC files of course.

I must quantify though that in the past before I started on LODs and Amps, Rockbox sounded uber with all the EQ options. But now, I don't like to touch the EQ. No matter how good the banding is, EQ is bound to distort something unintended imo...

May 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 6
I also noticed that too. My diymod with rockbox still sounded better than my ipad and iphone 4, but it was really close. But without rockbox, the sound improvement was more noticable.

May 25, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 6
OK... I just tried it out. Rockbox vs the default OS, Apple wins hands down.

On Rockbox, it sounds as if the music is less dynamic, if that makes any sense. I love it when I don't need to go though iTunes to sort my music out but if it means lower sound quality, it is pointless. Clarity is about the same but songs on Rockbox is alot more tamed than on the default OS. It's not about FLAC vs ALAC though. I played them on my PC and they sound the same at least IMO.

Thanks again Justus.

May 25, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Haha you're welcome~ :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back