RockBox
Nov 5, 2009 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

LurkerJeff

100+ Head-Fier
I've tried searching but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for in detail.

Basically, is it that much better?

I've read SQ is better along with more capacity?

What other benefits come from RockBoxing an iPod?

Explain any relevant information in detail please.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LurkerJeff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried searching but can't seem to find the information I'm looking for in detail.

Basically, is it that much better?

I've read SQ is better along with more capacity?

What other benefits come from RockBoxing an iPod?

Explain any relevant information in detail please.

Depends on what better means to you. If you like being able to customize your player and have TONS of EQ options, then it is better. The sound quality doesn't necessarily improve, you're just better able to manipulate it to your liking. It does not increase storage capacity.

Read this link: Why Rockobx

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3602 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...waitin for RockBox IPC (7th gen)...

You might have to wait a long time, unless you know how to program.

Nov 5, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 10
I have messed with it before, it is fun for the EQ and to have something different from the apple os, but for me I can't stand how much battery rockbox eats, and I moved my 5.5 80gig to my car for now, and my head unit had issues with rockbox, so I am thinking about just abandoning it.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #6 of 10
Brilliant on my H140, tons more audio codec support, adjustable size fonts/themes, replaygain, gapless, self build database. Stock firmware wasen't too shabby anyway as it had OGG support. Just improves things.

Nov 5, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #8 of 10
"Better" in which way?
* It is better in that it support more audio codecs, have a more advanced EQ, are open-source, and probably more.
* It is worse in that it does not support the current iPods, probably have shorter battery time, decrease storage capacity, and probably more.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

I can't stand how much battery rockbox eats

Quote:

probably have shorter battery time

My Ipod 5.5g (upgraded to 240GB, rockbox v3.2 with some power-saving patches) plays FLACs for about 22-24 hours from a single charge and MP3s for about 28 hours. Battery life under original firmware is only about 20 hours.
Quote:

It is better in that it support more audio codecs, have a more advanced EQ, are open-source, and probably more

And it has more convenient interface and folder browsing; also it makes ipod drag&drop device.
Quote:

decrease storage capacity

Rockbox firmware takes only about 10 megabytes of storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back