Rockbox woes...
Feb 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hi-fiber

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys.

Ive been a fond afficionado[i have two, hahaha] of Sandisk Clips. Ive rockboxed them both and well, the only thing that makes me want the rockbox is the crossfeed function so i can have binaural experience without the need for additional external hardware.

but it has many downsides. one is that the battery duration is significantly reduced and the crossfeed, well it does things to the bass which makes them sound farty...

theres this two tracks currently on my playlist that exhibits plenty of farty bass due to the crossfeed [it goes away with the CF off]

Sade - By your Side
Massive Attack - Angel

any of you experience a similar situation?

Feb 14, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
Hello guys.

Ive been a fond afficionado[i have two, hahaha] of Sandisk Clips. Ive rockboxed them both and well, the only thing that makes me want the rockbox is the crossfeed function so i can have binaural experience without the need for additional external hardware.

but it has many downsides. one is that the battery duration is significantly reduced and the crossfeed, well it does things to the bass which makes them sound farty...

theres this two tracks currently on my playlist that exhibits plenty of farty bass due to the crossfeed [it goes away with the CF off]

Sade - By your Side
Massive Attack - Angel

any of you experience a similar situation?

Rockbox significantly increases, not reduces, the battery life of my two Clip+ players.....and I don't use the crossfeed.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #3 of 6
Try the meier crossfeed instead of the default rockbox one. The effect is definitely not as drastic, but you also won't get any weird side effects. If you rather stick with the default crossfeed, try increasing the stereo width slightly and equalizing the midbass down a notch. Doing that helped a bit but it still wasn't worth the loss in quality IMO.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm intrigued... I tried the stock Crossfeed plugin briefly, and while it was interesting, I ultimately decided to keep it turned off (I felt its negatives outweighed its advantages).  I'd sure be willing to give another crossfeed plugin a try, though.  Is the Meier crossfeed available as a plugin for Rockbox on a Sansa Clip+?  If so, where?

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 6
the meier one? hmmm...

i think 7swell means using the "meier" configuration such as HF attenuation, crossfeed level, etc. ive tweaked my crossfeed enourmously and the stock is not pleasing.

i like the crossfeed because it somewhat tames the sound, more relaxed i think.
if only i can remove the bass farts.

will check on the meier config.

Jan 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's better than starting a new one -- right?

I Rockbox'd my Clip+ a couple days ago and started realizing the exact same effects with the crossfeed. In my more bassy songs the crossfeed caused a "fart" effect (clipping?) in the bass drum attacks. Is there an internal solution to get rid of the effects? or do I have to just invest in an external amp with crossfeed?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back