Rockbox "while playing screen" without peakmeter
Aug 29, 2006 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

aggiegrads

New Head-Fier
I have created a simple screen with the basic information, similar to the default wps, but without a peakmeter. This may come in handy for those who are having trouble with random pauses in playback.
mad.gif
The screen looks like this:

simplewpsscreendump.bmp

And the file can be downloaded here:
simple.wps

Set up is easy. I created the file using these directions. Just move the above file to your .rockbox\wps\ directory. There are no images or anything fancy, so no other files or directories are needed.

If you prefer not to download files of unknown origin, here is the "code":
Quote:

%we

%s%ac%?it<%it|No Track Information Available>

%s%ac%?ia<%ia|No Artist Information Available>
%s%ac%?id<%id - %?iy<%iy>|No Album Information Avaialble>

%alBattery Remaining: %bl%% %arFiletype: %fc, %fbkbps

%al%pc%ac%pt%ar%pr
%pb

%ac Volume %pvdb

%acNext Song

%s%ac%?It<%It|Not Available>
%s%ac%?Ia<%Ia|Not Available>
%s%ac%?Id<%Id|Not Available>

Simply copy the code into a text file using a text editor, and rename the file with a .wps extension.

Hopefully, this will help those that are having the skipping issues. I have used this wps for a couple of days (many hours of playback,) and I have had zero skipping problems, and most of my tracks are FLAC. YMMV if you use ALAC; I don't.

Aug 29, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 16
Very cool, thanks.

Any chance you vould edit this to generate a larger font size? Alternately, do you know how to get Rockbox to remember a particular font? Drives me nuts, I can't read the micro default font. Every time I start Rockbox I have to scroll through the menues to change.

Aug 29, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 16
FreeB,

It sounds like you may be further along than I am. I have not yet experimented with using other fonts and pics in my wps. One of my criteria was to minimize in such a way that the WPS stands on it's own, with no other files or directories necessary.

If I learn how to incorporate a default font, I will repost here.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 16
i did something even simpler and still get freeze ups. let me know if yours works.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 16
I have a 4gen with rock box and I find that if you go back to a menu screen then it wont freeze up, or cuts it down to about once every 6 or so hours of play back, so my batt goes down before RB.

Aug 29, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 16
frankly i'm planning on ditching rockbox for my iriver and just using mp3s. i'm sick of these freezes.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 16
Me too, eventhough I like the sound but these freezes drive me crazy. For home use RB's interface is okay but on the road I've realised that it's just so inconvenient compare to Apple's. And the battery drains down so quickly, won't even last a trip to work there and back.
Guess it's time for me to buy another player with EQ
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
frankly i'm planning on ditching rockbox for my iriver and just using mp3s. i'm sick of these freezes.

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 16
Yeah, i'm using 224-320 AAC and it keeps skipping
eek.gif

It does stop when i go to the menu, but.. that won't work for me
Also, the theme is gone everytime it turns off and i have to select it everytime it's back on
Had it for a night, i'll convert back tonight
I REALLY liked the eq though
mad.gif

I'll reinstall when the final release is there
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #10 of 16
That's too bad things aren't working out for you. I'm running a graphics-intense WPS with album art on my 60GB 5G and I don't get any skipping at all, and I've been using Rockbox for well over a month now. The only time I interrupt playback is scrolling through the artist list to browse while playing, and that's only with the scroll wheel accelleration turned on and when I scroll very quickly. Good luck, I hope things get worked out for you.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #11 of 16
i find if you don't incorporate extras such as eq, crossfeed, etc. that rockbox is pretty stable. i have an iMod'd iPod and created a wps similar to the OPs. for the poster asking for bigger fonts, the easiest way is to use the iCatcher theme. this theme not only has larger fonts but also incorporates a wps without peak meters which also helps in stability.

i've listened to several hours straight without skipping or freeze-ups. i can't tell you how many hours in total i've gone before a freeze up but it is pretty good. keep in mind, rockbox for the iPod is not even in beta. i'm someone who is willing to deal with these kinds of hiccups because i can't stand iTunes (for reasons i won't get into here).

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 16
the only reason i tried rockbox was to play my classical flac files. maybe i can transcode them to ogg, but last time i checked ogg did some weird detuning thing to the violins.

Aug 30, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 16
As long as a .wps file is located in the .rockbox/wps directory, that WPS should be retained when the player is power-cycled. Likewise, fonts should not be reset when the player is turned off.

The software EQ will cause skipping on the 5G in some circumstances, particularly when there is a WPS in use that requires frequent updates. The hardware EQ does not cause skipping.

There is no such thing as a "final release" of Rockbox. There are stable releases from time to time. I don't point this out simply to be pedantic. If there are those who are waiting for Rockbox to be "done," people should be aware that it will never be "done" but there will come a time when it is stable and issues like the battery life are corrected.

As I've mentioned in other threads, I anticipate that when the second core is enabled on the iPod platform, these skipping issues will be resolved. Of course, they may be resolved through other optimizations as well.

For what it is worth, I am using Rockbox on a 5G with hardware EQ, no software EQ, and a WPS with no peakmeters. I have no skipping issues whatsoever.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #15 of 16
the rockbox for the ipod is not even in beta release. there was a feature freeze on for a while that has recently been lifted and i've been seeing some more work on the ipod builds. from what i understand the battery issue is somewhat of an x factor. the very proprietary architecture of the ipod has been challenging. i saw some preliminary work on it but still no breakthroughs as of yet. i still am a big fan of rockbox. even in its pre-beta guise it does a pretty decent job. of course i use my iMod at home so the battery life isn't much of an issue for me.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back