Rockbox Update w/ 5G iPod
Oct 3, 2008 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
I last posted this question about a year ago. I was wondering how Rockbox now works with the iPod 5G as far as battery life, freezing up, slow scrolling etc. There were all those problems back when I posed this question. Any comments?

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 17
Rockbox reached version 3.0 recently. Better battery life, no freezing, good scrolling. And beautiful new themes. This is the one I am using now:
arboxWidgets_wps.png

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #3 of 17
I'm getting an 5.5 gen iPod soon and I was wondering the same thing. To me the themes on the site all look kind of ugly, especially the fonts, but they might look better on the iPod screen I guess.

Also, can anyone explain how the playback system works? Can I just play single albums without playlists?

Oct 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 17
Installed Rockbox version 3 last night and my battery went flat in record time today?
confused_face.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 17
My 80g does not last long, but then again I've had it for far too long; I probably should buy a new battery for my ipod.

Is it easy to open these with out breaking one of the clips that hold it closed?a.k.a. buying a 3rd party battery and installing it ~$30
or should I just send it in to apple? ~$50

Oct 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 17
personally, i would install it myself, sicne its pretty easy. Also, if you buy a battery off of ebay, it will only set you back around $15, including shipping

Oct 8, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 17
really only 15? are there any good websites about modding ipods, simple stuff, changing batteries and HDDs and how to open it without completely ruining everything. (and if anybody knows, what is the biggest (# of gigs biggest) HDD that can fit in the 30 gig ipod case?)

and on topic, I recently put rockbox on my 5th gen and everything is running nicely, the only problem I Have is while charging the battery % meter goes all screwy. the battery life might be MAYBE half an hour less for me. Doom seems to suck a lot of life out of it.

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really only 15? are there any good websites about modding ipods, simple stuff, changing batteries and HDDs and how to open it without completely ruining everything. (and if anybody knows, what is the biggest (# of gigs biggest) HDD that can fit in the 30 gig ipod case?)

and on topic, I recently put rockbox on my 5th gen and everything is running nicely, the only problem I Have is while charging the battery % meter goes all screwy. the battery life might be MAYBE half an hour less for me. Doom seems to suck a lot of life out of it.

Upgrading iPod Hard Drives | Command-Tab

Seems like the max is 40gb with the thin ipod 5g. For the longest battery life you could switch the hard disk for an ipod compact flash adapter and then use a compact flash->sd card converter with a 32gb sdhc card in it.

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 17
any idea if rockbox will work on an ipod video that has a different HDD in it that was never an ipod HDD?

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

any idea if rockbox will work on an ipod video that has a different HDD in it that was never an ipod HDD?

I've only heard of Toshiba single platter (5") ZIF drives in a thin iPod 5G, but anything that connects to ZIF, as far as I know, should work (hence how people use ZIF Compact Flash adapters).

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 17
well what I mean is on the rockbox website it has all different configurations for all the different things, and the classic doesn't work yet. so how can it tell if my ipod video is an ipod video and not something else with a completely blank hard drive in it

Oct 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

well what I mean is on the rockbox website it has all different configurations for all the different things, and the classic doesn't work yet. so how can it tell if my ipod video is an ipod video and not something else with a completely blank hard drive in it

Because of all the OTHER components inside the iPod. Sure you can put in a new hard drive, but then the iPod will automatically "label" it with the code of whatever hardware it's working with.

To test it (and it will work), format your iPod; it'll still rebound back as an iPod, not a blank external drive. If anything, it's a hidden partition that does the trick.

Oct 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #15 of 17
ok thanks, now that I'm thinking about it it was probably a dumb question, I just don't want to go through all this swapping and end up with something useless

Users who are viewing this thread

Back