Rockbox uncovers deleted files?
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Rav

1000+ Head-Fier
So, today i finally got my hands on my iriver H120 that i won on ebay just over a week ago. It was advertised as essentially NOS, and the condition of the casing would support this.

Now, i put a few mp3s on to play on the iriver firmware and all was normal, then i installed rockbox, and while putzing through the menus i hit one that said scan disk, and all of a sudden i've lost about 3gb of free space. I plug the player back into my computer and it reports the same usage, but the files are only a few hundred megabytes.

I went back into rockbox and initialized the database, and it found about 800 songs, that don't show up in the file tree, nor in windows (but windows does see that the drive has space used up).

Switching back to the iriver firmware and it only sees what i put on there. My guess is that the previous owner put a bunch of stuff on to play around with it, and then deleted or reset the player somehow, but rockbox has seen through that and partially restored the files.

Does anyone know how i can get them to show up in windows so that i can delete them en masse? Doing so via the database would mean deleting them one file at a time (unless i'm missing the right sequence of button presses, which i might be).

Now to find a sutable portable amp...

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 9
It might be the same system as my X5. I can delete files from my X5, but it puts them in the windows recycle bin. The files will stay on the player until I empty the recycle bin. Although I don't think you can see the files on the player, the space is still taken up.

Next time you connect the device, check your recycle bin. To be safe though I'd just do a fresh format and rockbox install anyway, so your files aren't fragmented.

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 9
I tried looking in the recycle bin, and it flashed up all the errant files (i think) for half a second, then it just showed the few that i deleted from the db. Probably as they weren't deleted from my computer, it won't have any of it.

What's the recommended format procedure, from windows right click > format, or can i do it from the iriver firmware?

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't you run a stardard windows check desk through my computer on the drive to fix the error? It is a fat partition still I assume. Happens on the PSP all the time and thats what I do.

Unless i'm doing it wrong, that didn't seem to do anything
confused.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #8 of 9
You should not need to reformat. First, try running the disk_tidy plug-in. Second, while the player is connected to the computer via USB, empty your recycling bin.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should not need to reformat. First, try running the disk_tidy plug-in. Second, while the player is connected to the computer via USB, empty your recycling bin.

I actually went into the iriver firmware and formatted before you posted, but it did the trick (after letting rockbox update the db). Not knowing all the workings of the rockbox plug ins, i didn't want to randomly try something just in case
tongue.gif

I did try the empty recycle bin thing before, but it didn't seem to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back