ROCKBOX problem APE > to FLAC wont play
Feb 21, 2008 at 11:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

thathertz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all. I've been a frequent lurker here for a few months and my guilty purchases so far
include a pair of Ultrasone Proline 650's, A Meier Headsix and a mint condition Iriver H320.
The main reasons for getting the Iriver were price, FLAC support, SQ and Rockbox support.

I've recently Rockboxed the H320 and have just converted a load of APE format albums to FLAC (level 5) using Foobar2000. The problem is not a single FLAC converted in this way will play on the H320. It starts to play a track and then just says 'STOPPED'.

Anybody else have this problem or could anyone suggest a possible answer?

Help very much appreciated!!!

Cheers
Mike

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 10
Rockbox won't play .ape

It's too complex an algorithm for most portable players. Use FLACs

If you search the Rockbox forums, you can find that, but it's buried.

Feb 21, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rockbox won't play .ape

It's too complex an algorithm for most portable players. Use FLACs

If you search the Rockbox forums, you can find that, but it's buried.

Hi, as Budman said, yep I've converted to .FLAC from .APE. It's the converted .FLAC files that won't play.

Thanks for responding.

Feb 22, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 10
OK probably a stupid question...but have you tried playing the flac files on somethine else, like your computer with foobar and also something other than foobar to make sure the files will actually play? (I use winamp with the flac plugin).

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi, perfectly reasonable question!

Yep, I can play them through Foobar on the PC. I can even open them from my H320 and they'll play.

Ok, something strange happened this evening: One of the files actually played just fine. I tried more and they played fine also. Maybe 15 minutes later (without powering down) I tried to play one of the FLACs that had played a few minutes earlier and it wouldn't play. I try the others and they won't play either.

Sooo, it's intermittent and not a problem with the tags or the FLAC's themselves, or so it seems.
It seems like it's a Rockbox problem which is worse I guess.

Maybe I have some corruption in the file system that's only happening under certain circumstances.

Maybe I shouldn't think out loud....
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the response!

Feb 22, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, perfectly reasonable question!

Yep, I can play them through Foobar on the PC. I can even open them from my H320 and they'll play.

Ok, something strange happened this evening: One of the files actually played just fine. I tried more and they played fine also. Maybe 15 minutes later (without powering down) I tried to play one of the FLACs that had played a few minutes earlier and it wouldn't play. I try the others and they won't play either.

Sooo, it's intermittent and not a problem with the tags or the FLAC's themselves, or so it seems.
It seems like it's a Rockbox problem which is worse I guess.

Maybe I have some corruption in the file system that's only happening under certain circumstances.

Maybe I shouldn't think out loud....
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the response!

Sounds like you need to go to the rockbox site and post this over there as well. Unfortunately, I have a 5.5G iMod and a 4G iMod and rockbox plays my flacs just fine
wink.gif
, so I can't really help you that much. Its either Rockbox or your H320. Good Luck, hopefully you'll get it working all the time
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #9 of 10
I use Rockbox on an iPod as well, so I don't know if it's an issue with your player in particular.

I have had rtouble with FLACs too in the past. I think it was a tag issue. I know you said your tags are fine, but how are you determining that? It's a known issue that a incorrectly tagged FLAC will give Rockbox trouble. Double check your tags.

Have you used this player with FLACs before without problems? Do you have files that were not converted from .ape? do they play OK all of the time?

I converted all my .ape file to FLAC using foobar. What did you use? Perhaps it corrupted the tags?

You're probably better off looking for answers on the Rockbox forums. Sometimes it can be tough to find what you're looking for over there, but I've always been able to find what I needed... eventually
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayduke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Rockbox on an iPod as well, so I don't know if it's an issue with your player in particular.

I have had rtouble with FLACs too in the past. I think it was a tag issue. I know you said your tags are fine, but how are you determining that? It's a known issue that a incorrectly tagged FLAC will give Rockbox trouble. Double check your tags.

Have you used this player with FLACs before without problems? Do you have files that were not converted from .ape? do they play OK all of the time?

I converted all my .ape file to FLAC using foobar. What did you use? Perhaps it corrupted the tags?

You're probably better off looking for answers on the Rockbox forums. Sometimes it can be tough to find what you're looking for over there, but I've always been able to find what I needed... eventually
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply
smily_headphones1.gif

I converted the .APE files to .FLAC using Foobar. My player was fine using other FLAC files not converted from .APE. However, once problems started with the converted files, playback of the 'good' flacs was affected also. This is what led me to believe it might NOT be the tags....but...I dunno
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The problem is, I don't know what tags SHOULD be there. I know there are different ID tags and FLAC tags. I tried stripping the tags and writing new ones using Foobar. Comparing the tag info using dbpoweramp (mouseover file in explorer) beween the 'good' FLAC and the FLAC with new tags they both showed the same level of info.

Any idea what's considered the best way of checking tag info?

I've posted on Rockbox and hoping for an answer. In the meantime I'm using Wavpack
smily_headphones1.gif
)))

Thanks once again for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back