Rockbox on the nano 2g, doesn't look likely
Mar 8, 2007 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
i am about to give up hope on having rockbox on the nano, seems like the development has really slowed down to the point where very few people are contributing due to the fact that the firmware is heavily encripted and extremely hard to crack. Aparrently, the hardware in the nano would make a very good platform for ported software, so its a bit of a double blow.

It really sucks that apple have made this difficult to do. Is there any hope of ever seeing Rockbox on the new nano at all?

Mar 8, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Like most things this will take time. In the remastered nano's case, lots and lots of time due to the processor not being of Portalplayer origin. I have no doubt either the iPod Linux or Rockbox team will eventually figure out how to get their firmware on the thing but it's gonna be a while.

If you want my advice, don't even think about it and the wait will seem non-existant. As far as I can guess, the nano amped will sound better than the Rockbox eq by itself, and the nano has gapless and support for a lossless codec so it's not too bad. Although ogg would be reeeal nice..

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, like making some of the chips apple branded so you can't easily identify them. It will be a tough nut to crack, but the rockbox team has good nut crackers. (that didn't come out too good )
eggosmile.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, like making some of the chips apple branded so you can't easily identify them. It will be a tough nut to crack, but the rockbox team has good nut crackers. (that didn't come out too good )
eggosmile.gif

HA.. HA...
That was pretty funny. I for one hope rockbox eventualy makes it to the 2nd gen nano although not realy a big deal. The original firmware is pretty good and i'm not sure rockbox will make that much of an improvement for my needs. I still would like to have it as an option on my nano to play an ocasional album in flac.

Later.
Do!

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 5
Rockbox ports are done by those who have the time, ability, and the actual device to port. The "Rockbox Team" does not just pick a target and move to that.

Point is, unless someone comes forward with the aforementioned 3 items in hand, the port will not happen.

The first step is to break the encryption. This needs to be done before we even get started on the new hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back