Rockbox on the H120
Feb 1, 2007 at 5:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AndyKatz

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought a minty H120. Love the sound quality and L/O. But I've used various Rio players the past few years, and I'm not sure I'm crazy about the screen. Does Rockbox significantly alter the way it operates--e.g. make searching for a particular track, or saving options when turned off?

Andy

Feb 1, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #2 of 7
heehee, "Fockbox"
tongue.gif

Yes, it completely alters the way you search for tracks, but I don't get your second question...it has way more options to tweak the OS and sound settings, if that's what you mean.

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 7
I can't believe I typed F for R.

That's in no way editorial
eek.gif

Now I have to decide if I want to sacrifice my WMAs

Andy

Feb 1, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 7
Oh, the second part of the question, the iRiver os seems to reset after going off. E.g., if you have it set to shuffle the entire library, it will go back to the default. I haven't found a way to change that. I prefer to keep it on shuffle and just go through the library gradually. Will Rockbox permit that?

Andy

Feb 1, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #5 of 7
Rockbox is indeed much more controllable (not sure it does exactly what you say without checking). Give it a try - your iRiver firmware is still installed - so in effect you can dual boot (just hold down a button combination). Very handy!

Feb 2, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 7
And you can completely customize the "While Playing Screen" on both the player and the remote with a .WPS and .RWPS file, respectively. There are tons of these available for download on the Rockbox site, and it's a snap to make your own with a simple text editor. Although the custom .WPS files don't change the way you search for songs, albums, artists, etc., it most definitely changes the look of the While Playing screen to just about anything you want.

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back