Rockbox on Ipod 3g
Oct 18, 2006 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DrkRipper

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I am attempting to put Rockbox on my 3g Ipod and I am having some trouble. I can install it ok, but when I plug it into my computer after installing the computer doesn't recognize it as a usb device. So...I was wondering if anyone here has gotten rockbox to successfully work on a 3g?

Thanks,
Philip

Oct 18, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm replying because I had perhaps the same problem. Before I continue, you might check to see if you have USB 2 on all relevant connections.

Although Rockbox has good support, the 3g model somehow has problems. For me, a Mac user, I would have to change the file structure from the OS X to FAT32; that means I have to use a Windows machine (don't have one) or use online software (3g is missing for some reason). If you're a Windows person, I imagine you have better options.

Personally, the only reason why I wanted Rockbox was because of the ability to import custom EQ. My workaround, however poor, is to use the Xenos 3HA amp along with a SIK direct audio input; the sound is very, very good, although the rig is bulky.

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali
a Mac user, I would have to change the file structure from the OS X to FAT32; that means I have to use a Windows machine

I believe that Macs will recognise a FAT32 formatted iPod.

@ the OP, you might better off to post at the Rockbox forum for Rockbox support. They are a strict, but helpful bunch.

h

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 5
You're right, they will recognize FAT32. If you use Windows, or use a hybrid Mac, using FAT32 should be fairly straightforward. However, if you use Mac only, there's no way to convert - as long as you have a 3g iPod. It's worth a try, however, though you're well advised to have a backup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back